How Did Your Pet Get Its Name?

crazyboutdogz

Our first 2 dogs - now playing at the Bridge

Jess - ACD X - named after the bitch in Footrot Flats (also after my paternal grandmother - Jessie - as then at least one of the family carried on the name *L*)

Clapton - Staffy X - OH gave me 2 choices - Eric or Clapton - there was no way I was standing in the yard yelling "Eric.."

Our current dogs

Bonnie - Kelpie X - was named when we adopted her at 12 months old

Rosie - Kelpie - the kids saw it on a pet tag - they liked it - I wasn't too fussed at the time - now I think "hhhmmmmmm - do I really like it?" - but it kind of suits her

Earl - Bloodhound - pedigree name Centitout My Name is Earl - we wanted something bluesy for a bloodhound - went through a few choices like Jed or Jethro (from the Beverly Hillbillies) but we finally agreed on this one and our breeder liked it and was willing to use it for his pedigree name

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misha - original name was Epic, after owning a dog called Star who is a diva, I thought it was best not to keep a name she could live up to( i.e Epic Trouble). Misha means bear in russian, but me and the partner just liked the name.

C is our cat Corpsegrinder. Named after a singer from Cannibal corpse. Because he is SOOO cute, but if you heard his growl

:laugh: god I would love to see the look on your neghbours faces when you called him.

My black cat is Buggar cos he's always been a little buggar

My black & white Havanese baby is Dozer cos he was the smallest in the litter and when he wanted to get through the others he would put his little head down and go for it, like a little Bull Dozer

My little girl baby Hav is Diva (cos her show name is Leading Lady) or Devious which suits her really well cos she's a devious little clown

The mother of the pups is Peaches cos she's cream with gold ears

The father of the pups is Doc cos his show name is Whats up Doc

Well we have Bailey (Bull Terrier) just wanted a 'nice & friendly' name for him :laugh:

Cookie ( Cross Breed) who gets Smart Cookie at times and Cookie Monster at others !!

Then Thumper (rabbit ) and Bradie( rabbit) his girlfriend who we thought was a boy and was named after one of my daughters band crushes

Chook (Cockatiel) who can't fly, just walks and

Trouble (Lorikeet) named pretty obviously by the amount of effort needed to keep him happy!! (I love him, I do)

Oscar's full name is: Oscar de la Renta.

At the time I was right into the sex and the city movie (had just come out on dvd), and there is a scene in the film where Carrie is trying on all the designer dresses for a magazine shoot. I fell in love with the wedding dress by the designer Oscar de la Renta.

Therefore, this is where my big clown got his name, he is far from class, but it suits him well.

Lilly- my brother liked the name and my parents liked it best out of all the names me (then 7) and my brother (then 8) suggested.

Toby - I had decided to get another puppy but had no idea what type/age/sex I was getting, I liked the name Toby and it suits boy/girl. He was named well before I got him. :champagne: He gets Tobias when naughty.

Lincoln- Named after Abraham Lincoln, wanted an American name because the breed is American. His show name 'Lucky Shot' was because it was a Western theme, his half sister/sire/grandsire have gun themed names and I hope its an omen for good luck.

MOOSE! At first it was a bit of a joke when we were trying to think up a name for him but then it just kinda stuck. His reg'd name is Phantom's Gold so his breeder was calling him Goldy. Glad we didn't stick with that, he is sooooo a Moose.

MooseDawg.jpgMooseDawg2.jpg

My friend named his Staffy/BC cross Nudge after the doofus from Hey Dad. Best name ever, wish I'd thought of it first. :champagne:

Daisy - Shih Tzu, she has a cute bum like Daisy from Dukes of hazzard and she acts like a real blonde sometimes :champagne:

Ruff - Shepherd x . Kids named him. Need I say more.

Angel - pure white cat. Yes, was addicted to Buffy the vampire slayer when I got him.

Freddy - Golden retriever (will be here thurs). Totally his breeders fault, I take no responsibility. :cheer:

Ruma was my pick of litter and 'the best of both parents' so it was only right to name her after both:

Sire/daddy: RUgar

Dam/Mummy: MAia

taking the first two letters of parents names and i got RUMA! (or as she is more commonly called: BOOMBOOM)

every one else it comes from their kennel name, jett the poddle had the name when we rescued him.

C is our cat Corpsegrinder. Named after a singer from Cannibal corpse. Because he is SOOO cute, but if you heard his growl

:champagne: god I would love to see the look on your neghbours faces when you called him.

Hahaha. It certainly gets a response. I got some queer looks at the vets. But mainly people just tell me how cool our pets names are.

My black & white Havanese baby is Dozer cos he was the smallest in the litter and when he wanted to get through the others he would put his little head down and go for it, like a little Bull Dozer

Haha, I have a Dozer, too! Although she is a Great Dane, and has no troubles dozing anything in her path. :cheer: Not a very feminine name, but she's not a very feminine dog :laugh:

I also have a Dollop, from his registered name, Dollops Ofthedevil. He's a Great Dane, too. I really didn't want to risk calling him Devil, I already have a Dozer :champagne:

And to stay with the theme, his name isn't very masculine :laugh:

Mischief - Lab kelpie cross named due to the escape artist nature she displayed getting out of her car harness the day we took her home in the car from the RSPCA my mother said that one is a lot of Mischief waiting to happen and it sorta stuck.

Hoover my TB x Clydie named after the vacuum cleaner as he has a habit of eating or as we have dubbed it Hoovering up grass on the run ( really scares the hell out of anyone who doesn't know of his habit when he's head goes down.)

Guinea Pigs: Cloudy got him on a cloudy day

Fidget he never sat still

Patches she was covered in patches

Budgie called Bluey even though she was white RIP

2 Shubunkin fish named after the video game characters Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter (my other half named them)

and my lovely fox named Basil after the BOOM BOOM comedian fox Mr. Basil Brush

--Lhok

Gemma & Brandii came with their names as I adopted them :champagne:

Winnie is derived from Winston as about 15 years ago when I worked in boarding kennels, out of all the thousands of dogs that I was fortunate to know, one in particular left a mark on my heart and he was a white British Bulldog named Winston. He was a regular guest & upon his passing his owner sent me a card 'from' Winston saying thanks for being my bestfriend when daddy was not around, thanks for putting a smile in my heart when daddy was not there to do it himself and most of all thanks for all the reassuring cuddles & kisses.. from that day on I knew I wanted to get a British Bulldog and name her after Winston xo

Abby- Abbey from NCIS BUT her showname is LYNDOOR SLEEPY SAM which I had no choice about. I would like to add she is a divison 1 flyball dog that is nicknamed pocket rocket and everyone always laughes at her show name as in the ring she is often seen spinning out doing tricks!

Bluey- He wore red nailpolish on his toes as a pup so it seemed australian to call him bluey (all his gear is red and ppl get very confused LOL) Showname "Rockychoky rd"

Safire (Saffy)- She wouldnt die (was a very sick pup though) and is a spitfire- all the girls had gemstones in their name Showname "Safire Seashelz" In reality she likes to be called "Princess Saf Saf" and often will only recall to this- much to my eternal embarassment. But it fits her to a T

Milky- All the rest of the litter were dark chocolate and he was only milky chocolate Showname "Sir Milky Way".

The above are all chocolate coloured Kelpies- thus the reappearing chocolate theam!!

Demi- I wanted a name beginning with D (I train a charlie so decided to go a little aphabetical and I have A, B, C....) and ending in an "eee" sound and I call her my little Demi Doggess!! Showname- "Great Expectations" She is my first Finnish Lapphund and I have high hopes for her in the show ring of course!!

Ebony- the black cat who was a big sook but I still called him eboneser scruge!!

Moggie- who was a Moggie

Kala- My first Kelpie. I was 4 when I got her so who knows how she ended up with that name

Perry- the cockatail after the peregrin(sp?) falcon!!

I cant decide what to name the next dog. I want a Zara (the opposite of abby!) but since I am breeding it I will probably end up with another litter box name that I cant get rid of!!

I named a stray kitten that came into work yesterday Houdini...... I spent 20 minutes looking for the little bugger as he had escaped out of his cage and someone had left the isolation door open so I was looking all over the surgery!! I hope it doesnt put anyone off adopting him LOL.

Edited by woofenpup

Shine - BC cause I just knew she would shine in the obedience ring (by the way she was way before the movie)

Chloe - BC came to me through rescue already named.

Popcorn - Dobe - it was her registered name and really suited her as she was such a happy dog.

Balou - Dobe - the bear from Jungle Book

Tolkien - Thoroughbred horse named after JR Tolkien author of Lord of the Rings - so he would be lord of the show rings.

Buster - I thought it would be appropriate for this little guy, Turns out it suited him

Shadow - My Husband named her and as you walk she is that close behind you that her nose taps the back of your knee

Charli - My Daughter named her, she thought it was a cute name.

Leia is named after Princess Leia from Star Wars... it suits her as she is a little princess at times. :laugh: However she also has a myriad of nicknames, some of which include "Fluffy butt," "Hairy Legs," "Scruffy Mutt," "Muttley," and "Snorty McNaughty."

Archer is named after OH's North Melbourne AFL hero, Glenn Archer. He gets called "Archer-Man," "Little Man," "Big Boy," "Boofhead," and "Boofus" which is a cross between "Boofhead" and "Doofus." :laugh: