Do You Feel Like..

smisch

:( CAN SOMEONE SHOOT ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!!! :laugh:

A girl from work recently got a puppy, a Shar pei x Staffy and she brought it from a petstore..

Strike one...

She got it at 7 weeks old

Strike 2...

She wants to breed it with another staffy when its 10 months old cos supposedly breeding it with a staffy will gte rid of the pei-ness... WTF would you have brought a staffy X if u wanted a staffy... she couldnt even tell us the breed she was like oh its a staffy X sorbent toilet paper dog.. the Rolly one... The guy at the petshop was like oh yeah 10 months is fine just call me when your ready! :rofl: ... And supposedly this breeding will result in purebred staffies.... yeah right

I turned around and said to her, why oh why when that puppy is the result of a shonky backyard breeder or a puppy mill.. and she was like whats a puppy mill.. and then another girl joined in and was like oh you can breed him to my dog hes a staffy mix...

"oh yeah what is he"

Staffy X Box terrier

Ah (insert name here) He's a Staffordshire Bull terrier X Boxer

Whatever...

ARGH!!!!! let me just bang my head up against a brick wall, I'm pretty good to pick a fight with but then I have these two who think they're so awesome gang up on me with their amazing dogs.. the Staffy Boxer can't even be walked on a leash and spends most of his time tied up cos he destroyed the yard... and these arent the kind of people u can provide literature to or try and express your views to cos they're very "well anyway blah blah blah...." they just ignore you brush it off....

STUPIDITY OF PEOPLE PLEASE SHOOT ME NOW!!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you - some people just have (and want to have) no idea about responsible dog ownership - I feel so sorry for their dogs

At least my family have purebreds - even if they still have no idea about looking after them properly *sigh*

If she breeds her SBT cross to anything with SBT in it tell her she'd better have both parents DNA tested for L2-HGA & HC before she starts or when the pups end up blind and epileptic she'll be up in front of the disputes people with a huge vet bill to pay.

i was at a dog park with a lady who bought her bitch on heat to the park... she said she doesn't care because she wanted puppies. doesn't care what it's cross with. then a group of people started to aww and ahh about puppies... i had to walk away.

Since I got Echo I have been asked at least 6 times if I am going to breed her.

oh i got that with charlie a lot and they get all sad when i said he is desexed. even after i tell them about Charlie's mysterious illness.. they don't care

"Charlie is soo cute and he is sooo good, it's worth it" they say!

idiots.

oh i got that with charlie a lot and they get all sad when i said he is desexed. even after i tell them about Charlie's mysterious illness.. they don't care

"Charlie is soo cute and he is sooo good, it's worth it" they say!

idiots.

yep.. IDIOTS sums it up nicely and damn there is a hell of a lot of them :champagne:

I often get asked if I am going to breed my two. (er no, they are both boys.. cant you see the extra bits there!) But I was just recently walking when a lady with a maltese X asked me about my dogs. Just general questions "what are they, "ect. Then she asked if I would be interested in letting her use Wylie on her dog because "I would love to introduce that gorgeous red colour into my lines" I pretty much ran out of there at that point. She has no idea what breed my dogs are, never heard of them yet wants to breed them to her X breed.... Lines!! :champagne:

Sorry it happens all the time :laugh:

In the past 6 months 2 people I know have had litters (byb). The first was a Goldie x Malamute - accidental mating (the Goldie was kept entire with the intention of breeding to the owners sisters new male who was still only a pup). The litter was born without a hitch and all seemed well, it was an 'unusual breed' (in their words) so they could sell the puppies for big $$.

Then when the pups were 5 weeks old mum ran out of the gate and was hit by a car. The owners do love their dog and spent thousands trying to save her. She ended up with a shattered pelvis and the vet advised desexing (thank God) saying that she would not be able to carry another litter of puppies ever again. She then ended up with bloat from the stress of it all and had to be treated for that too! Thankfully she survived all this.

In the meantime the owners told me that she was planning on keeping one of the female puppies to breed to her sisters Golden as the puppies would then be '3/4 Golden then and almost pure'. I advised her not to and printed out one of the many threads on BYB and what can go wrong. Thought it would go in one ear and out the other, apparently not. Spoke to her a few weeks ago, they still have one male puppy left (almost 5 months old now), struggled to sell what they had and ended up giving the last 3 away (complete with all the vaccinations so not cheap for these people either). She now never wants to breed again - EVER :eek:

The 2nd person told me she has just had a litter of chocolate labs. She is well intentioned and will do her best by the dogs but is not a registered breeder. When I asked her why she said 'Well I always wanted to do it'. Hmmm, I asked how it all went. She told me that her bitch had to have an emergency ceasarian on a Sunday night. Also said that she had the bitch desexed at the same time so no more litters :eek:

Then my son comes home the other day and says his cousin has a new puppy. What is it I ask? It's a 5 week old Staffy cross :)

What makes this even sadder is that their last puppy was hit by a car at Christmas time. Why? Well they have a fence but no gate. But the puppy surely wont wander though because it will be with their other dog - a Lab who spends his entire life chained to the veranda. I wonder if this puppy will meet the same fate?? But you can't tell them anything because they are dog 'experts'. Just ask them.

Really? I just think they are idiots :laugh:

Hey Evolving- I've had what I think is a backyarder sniffing around... wouldn't give me a last name, was vague about where he lived, didn't have a contact number, email was different to the name he gave me, and guess what? Wanted a female and avoided all of my questions re desexing.....(alarm bells, anyone??) To be fair, I arranged to meet him (at a show) and he didn't turn up, gave me an excuse and I haven't heard from him since.....! However, regardless of this situation, these bybers they are out there, and def wanting to get into our breed. I just hope that if my alarm bells are correct that he hasn't gotten what he wants from elsewhere!

i was at a dog park with a lady who bought her bitch on heat to the park... she said she doesn't care because she wanted puppies. doesn't care what it's cross with. then a group of people started to aww and ahh about puppies... i had to walk away.

Did you ask her 'so when you want kids are you going to go hang around on street corners with your pants around your ankles'

the human race is abhorrent and intolerable.

Yep, got my eyebrows waxed on weekend and the girl's mum bought in her new puppy - just bought from the PP upstairs, a jack russell x pug. She was crapping on about how their other dog rules the roost, so hopefully this one doesn't.

Maybe suggest to people they raise a litter of rescue dogs. I always wanted a puppy/kitten, never had one as I have always had rescues. So I took up fostering, I have had a litter of kittens and a pregnant Staffy that had 5 pups.

Kittens were quite easy as they were already 4 weeks but the puppies.... Never could I have imagined the amount of work it was crazy (although I was told on numerous occassions how much work it was didn't sink in till i did it), the amount of stuff they destroyed and ate and I wasn't even responsible for finding them homes at the end of it. It would but 90% off ever doing it because by the time you have feed them done the vet work for 8 weeks there would be very little left over in profit and if you dont want the profit then you can just do it for rescues and not add to the population.

Fostering a litter is always what I suggest to people who tell me they want to breed, none have totally rejected the idea.

I had to go and rescue a little malt/silky x girl that was only 9 months old about 3 weeks ago. She was bought from a petshop by the daughter who lives out of home, taken back to the mother because she barked when people came to the door!!! :) had already had pups :laugh: which were then sold to the petshop! Thankfully they got the male desexed but still didn't want to "waste time" with her. I arrived, she was standing out the front holding her in one hand ready to pass over, poor baby was terrified :eek:

Whilst I was there I then had to take the daughters dog too :o

The little girl has been desexed & they have both been rehomed where they will be spoilt rotten :laugh:

Now I'm looking after a friends dog who is a rescue (so you think they would understand about irresponsible breeding) and she is due to pop any day.

Was bred to their male dog a malt/shitzu. She is a malt/shitzu they have no experience with breeding, which is why I ended up with her until she has her pups! I don't know everything but at least I know more than them, I just did it for her sake.

So irresponsible & it makes me so :eek: this poor girl only has 4 teats that work, she has a small hernia, this is her first litter & I have a sneaking suspiscion she will need a C section ;) I've told them all the ins & outs & I think they realise now that it was stupid as so many things can go wrong & there are already way too many dogs in the world. Hopefully these guys will be desexed too.

People make me SO mad sometimes!!

Edited by lovemymutts

Did you ask her 'so when you want kids are you going to go hang around on street corners with your pants around your ankles'

the human race is abhorrent and intolerable.

I was walking with a friend who has a desexed rottie bitch. We went past a woman with an undesexed male rotty with no tail that was only 2 years old. We asked her why the dog had no tail (given the docking laws). She said well I had to surrender my previous 2 rotties and I wanted another one but not one with a tail so I went through the trading post till I found someone who had one for sale without a tail (way to go in choosing a pup :laugh: ).

Then she looked at my friends bitch and said she's a full rottie isn't she, is she desexed? (I could guess what was coming next).

I said to my friend he should have said well I am happy to let your dog get his leg over mine so long as I can also give you one right now :laugh: That is about how much thought she was putting into things. :)

I don't have to deal with dog idiots.

Having established a reputation as a demented Nazi inspired elistist purebred dog snob and a neighbourhood dog walker with aggressive tendencies, they tend give me a wide berth. :laugh:

I don't think anyone at work will show me a picture of their oooh soo cute Cavoodle puppy again soon after being left to ponder the lives the parents of that pup are forced to lead. I'm also quite happy to ask loudly about the hip scores on the Labrador and Golden Retriever you're going to crossbreed. I'm the terror of my work bulletin board - I will ask questions about the health testing of every litter posted.

If, on the other hand, if you want some help on how to select an appropriate breed and find a good breeder, and you demonstrate some potential as a responsible dog owner, I'm your best friend. Two puppies homed so far. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan