Buying A Puppy From Interstate

jules1

I got weekly photos too. It made the wait lots of fun. Sorry you haven't had the same experience.

There have been some not good stories on here recently about sick pups and people not getting the papers. Can you say what breed it is?

The total lack of communication would bother me a lot too.

I acknowledge any $'s immediately, people worry has their money got there, especially using internet banking.

I also send weekly photos, news about their new baby etc. It helps the new owner bond, keeps them happy, reassures them all is going well & gives them the feeling they know their puppy.

An hour, or less, of my time once a week is not too much of them to ask.

Buying interstate is a worry & this attitude is not reassuring for people at all.

Thanks for all the support guys! Makes me feel that I'm not being too neurotic... :laugh:

I appreciate that the breeder may not have picked out which puppy was ours yet, but some photos (or even one!) of all the puppies would have been lovely - something for us to go all "mushy" over (you all know what I mean!!) :laugh:

I'm going to give her a call this weekend as it's about time we discussed the transport arrangements/final payment so hopefully that will remind her that we are still over here patiently waiting for some news...

It is disappointing as we told all our friends weeks ago about the new puppy and they are almost as excited as we are (they all loved our other dog who passed away) so it's hard when they keep asking us if we have got any photos yet..

Also, I deliberately haven't said what breed of dog it is as I don't want to get anyone offside if they realise who the breeder is. I'm sure she is a wonderful breeder, and I was thoroughly "interviewed" when I first called about a puppy - but just one little photo would have made all the difference!!

Fingers crossed for something soon!

Jules :(

Hi Jules. I'm another who sends photos and updates of pups. Some people though are just not good on pics! :laugh: A friend I sent a pup to is a shocker as far as updates with pics. I'd love to see how he is looking now but she is not really much into the computer and taking pics. They might be very busy.

Both my dogs are from non local breeders, one interstate and the other in the same state but over 8 hours drive away so couldn't just pop in for regular cuddles.

With the GR I had regular / weekly emails usually with a couple of pics and although the couple both led very busy lives (shift workers) I still had my questions replied to within a day or two and were very organised with paperwork etc etc.

My Aussie is from a fellow doler and she had many people hounding her for regular photos, so I didn't have to feel to guilty for the regular nagging for updates :laugh::laugh: We got lots of photos and a few videos too. She has been wonderful with answering my never ending questions :) Now she's the one nagging me for more photos ;) :)

Heck, I'm as busy as anybody with my other animals and family but I still manage to reply to emails, albeit some with more detail than others and provide at least weekly PUPdates to everybody on my pupdate list which usually include photos. AND put those same photos on the website so that if for some reason the email goes astray, the puppies can still be seen.

I understand that you don't want to be a nuisance but purchasing a puppy sight unseen, from somebody you probably don't know is a leap of faith for BOTH parties. You have to trust them and that you will get what you are handing your hard-earned over for and they have to trust that their gut instinct is right and that you are a suitable home for one of their babies.

And the ONLY way to do this is to correspond, talk and exchange information.

And for me, this isn't only during the leadup, the pregnancy, the early days and weeks and at home going time, it is for the life of the dog (and beyond if necessary). I WANT to be the first port of call for my puppy people if they have a problem, or want to share something funny, cute or sad. It's the least I can do.

Some might not be great with technology to take photos and computers, So I would excuse them for no regualar photos.

However, no contact to say the money wasnt received, that is rude.

If I was buying from interstate I would expect/appreciate regualar updates on how puppies are coming along, especially if its a show prospect and confirmation of payment. I would love photos too of course, but understand its not always possible

I can't remember if I got weekly updates and pics I would have to do an email search. :)

But a full birth account of each one was sent straight after the birth and a note that there was probably a pup there for me, stacked pics were up on the website at about 6 or 7 weeks with the first names and State of where they were going. I think I was advised before the pics went up too, which was mine.

My breeder was on dial-up and uploading pics is really frustrating so I wasn't too fussed. Whenever I sent an email though, I always received a reply within 24hrs. I was very satisfied.

I can understand the lack of photo's becuase they might not be computer savvy enough but they can do emails and at the very least should have been in regular touch. How can they choose which pup would be best for your family if they don't even bother talking to you?

I would be very hesitant about making your final payment.

I would want to see photos first of my pup and the mother.

By 6-10 weeks she should have a good idea of which pup is yours.

I send my buyers updates every few days once the pups are about 4 weeks old (weekly before that) letting know what the pups are doing and photos of all the pups. The pups grow so fast and learn new experiences every day.

I personally feel this breeder has been very rude, within the 4 weeks since you paid your deposit she should of sent photos and contacted you regarding receiving your payment.

Leanne

I bought my golden bitch sight unseen from a kennel 1000km away. I bought her main reg as a show prospect. I cant remember receiving any photos of her at all, so meeting her at the airport was very exciting. I trusted this breeder completely as my family had a golden from her (as a pet) over 20 yrs ago. Whilst I didnt receive any pics of my pup, the breeder did answer any questions I had via email. As she was my first purebred pup purchase it didnt occur to me to ask for pics. I assumed this was just the normal process. I was extremely happy with the puppy the breeder chose for me. The breeder is still very helpful 4 yrs on.

With my 2nd golden pup the breeder (different breeder) sent weekly photos of the litter. Once it was deceided which pup I was getting I also got individual pics of him. This breeder lived even further away than the other one. Again I was thrilled with the puppy when he arrived. This breeder has been very supportive ever since.

I think different breeders do things differently. A lack of puppy pics does not mean you arent getting a quality pup. I think breeders who have been in dogs for many many years are less likely to send pics as they never used to before the net existed, and it may not occur to them to do things differently now.

i reckon shed be very busy with looking after those puppies especially as they're getting older...

i find they usually take a while to answer me, my current one im talking to is pretty good, currently waiting on an email.

what breed are you getting?! :D

I agree that the lack of contact here is a little rude. My breeder was great - a very busy person but she explained that to me and said if I was not getting what she promised or I was concerned to just get back to her and say so. We still keep in regular contact which is great and she is really interested in how the dogs are going. I couldn't ask for more.

Good luck with your situation.