What The Flick Is This ? Update On Treatment Results P4, 51

Erny

I'm somewhat grossed out about this. I noticed Mandela licking towards the base of his tail on the way home from training today. When I got home, I checked the area and noticed these 'blister type' bumps on the skin part but below his anus.

I am planning on having them seen by a professional tomorrow, assuming I can get an appointment, but in the meantime thought I'd share with you a picture so any of you might pass an opinion, if you're familiar with what they might be?

post-5887-1267332988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know but the second I opened the photo one of my dogs fluffed. It was like a Click & Sniff - bizarre and not too pleasant :laugh:

Could he have impacted anal glands but can only reach that spot to lick? Looks more likely a bite or something though doesn't it. Maybe he sat on an ant or something and the licking has exacerbated it. Ingrown hair?

:laugh: ..... Maybe the photo triggered a reflex reaction from your dog :whip:.

Mandela can't quite reach that spot to lick (not without a good deal of effort) and as he's around me for the most part and I haven't seen him licking it (apart from the attempt he made in the car, but couldn't get any closer than licking the base of his tail, a bit further down from his anus) so I don't think the blisters are from the act of licking.

There's been a couple of boil looking lumps that have come up on/near his toes (one on the front foot, one on the back foot). I had the front one checked by the Vet and that one's gone down. The Vet thought he probably knocked/scraped it. There was a little hole/wound that I saw and I initially went to the Vet thinking a foreign body. I haven't been back for the one on the back foot - just treated that the same as I did the front and am monitoring that. I won't say I haven't been concerned about them, but I forced myself to not panic about it, just to keep an eye on it and it did seem to be improving, although it is still there. I noticed on that one there were 3 little red pin-dots and I thought perhaps it was a bit of some sort.

But now with these blisters I am beginning to worry about what's going on. If they'd all come up together, I'd be thinking he'd sat on an ants nest or something. But each one of these 'lump' things have come up at least a week or so apart from each other. So I don't know.

Anyway - I'm just chatting. Obviously the solution (hopefully) will be to let the Vet see them (including again the lump on his foot) and hopefully I can get an appointment for late tomorrow, after I've finished my consults/lessons.

Give him some antihistamine or cortisone cream on the bottom.
Is it possible he's been dragging his bottom and it's been abraded. Poor little man, whatever it is I bet it's tender. You might need to rub some cream on it, wear gloves. :laugh:

No - I am certain I would have noticed him dragging his bottom anywhere. Of course, I'm not with him 100% of the time, but most time I am. It doesn't look abraded, to me.

I dabbed some Colloidal Silver on it (he seemed to enjoy that :whip: ...... I imagine it would have at least been soothing. Latex gloves :mad.

I spoke to a breeder/friend of mine and her first question to me was "are the blisters orange?" . I said yes, they seemed to be more orange than red. She told me that one of her dogs had an orangey looking blister and it was some kind of cancer :mad !!! I know she didn't say it with intent to concern me - she doesn't really know what it might be and that's the only thing that comes close to what she has experienced with one of her own. So yes, I'm worried even more now (but not blaming her - I know where she was coming from.)

<sigh> ..... oh well, if I didn't worry, I'd get fat.

And Clyde - I think I should patent the photo with "scratch and sniff" written on it. :love:. Wonder how well it would sell? Hhhhhmmm .... we'd need to bottle your dog's farts for the 'scent' factor. :o

Edited by Erny

I think the blisters are changing (going down). Hard to tell due to different lighting now that daylight has passed. Tomorrow will reveal more clearly.

post-5887-1267350566_thumb.jpg

Sorry, there's a bit more 'detail' in this picture :). It's not easy to hold a dog still and his tail up when he desperately would rather be running around the house playing with 'flea' (favourite soft toy), and also trying to aim without bumping the camera lense into the 'nether nethers' of this region. :laugh::mad

Edited by Erny

I don't think you've caught his best side there Erny!! :laugh: Excellent photography and tail management skills there!! It looks like small bite sites, like ants or something like that IMHO. Our training grounds are full of ants nests and we have to be vigilant when doing stays and stands that we're not near ants' nests, but sometimes they still get bitten.

:) Actually, I did try to get a shot that was as close to the same angle as the first one, but the flash bounced off. You couldn't recognise the skin in that area for the glare. It kind of looked like the sun shone from his :mad .

I am beginning to wonder now as to whether what I am seeing/have seen (around his toes and also the lumps at his anus) whether they are actually hives ..... hives that have come up and then erupted. If you've read of Mandela's problematic health issues, you'd know of these. I'm not completely certain. In body he is looking quite good now, but he still throws a hive here and a hive there.

Don't know.

But thanks guys for the :laugh: on my photography skills :). Doubt that I'll be likely to make a living from it though. For that matter, doubt that I'd want to :rofl: .

Edited by Erny

Ant bites can happen on delicate bits at dog training. All that sitting and being a good dog! I remember T bone yelping once when I asked him to sit and then finding a big pink lumpy swelling on his poor nutsack when we got to the car. Poor little dude. :laugh:

Ouch!! The things they'll do for us. Gotta luv a dog :mad.

Thanks Sway ..... I'm still erring on the side of "hive". If you look closely (harder to see via the photo) you'll notice a purply coloured raised area which surrounds the blister. You'll see this on the second photo as well, the one where the blisters appear to have broken. I've noticed this morning that he has another bump (also pinky/purpley in colour) in between another of his toes. The 'newness' of this one shows up where the other one is receding and healing. They are almost like boils to look at, although not quite as 'angry'/darik (IMO based on my experience of boils).

I'm about to go bath that in a Calendula Tea that I've brewed and will go have another squizzy at his bottom to see how that fairs this morning. I'm sure hes getting sick of me inspecting all his crevices. I know I am :laugh: .

Edited by Erny