Breeders Taking Back Dogs They Bred

ruthless

I have only bred one litter. One of the things that put me off ever doing it again was one of the owners wanted to return the bitch. But they wanted to sell her back for the full price that they had paid for her. They had bred 2 litters from her in a short period of time too, so she had paid them back the original price they had paid me. I was furious. I do wish I had sucked it up though and just got her back. She has gone to a good home and I had no fear of them putting her down at the time. It left a really bad taste in my mouth though. If I ever breed again I doubt I would sell to another breeder. This person came highly recommended too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell every puppy buyer that has one of our dogs that I will ALWAYS take my dogs back. I don't wish this on their owners, i hope they have a happy life together forever but if something happens i am here. I don't care what the reason is and i always tell them i will not judge them as i feel they are doing the right thing by contacting me first. As far as the money returned it would depend on the situation i guess.

My main concern would be getting my dog back first, to me that would be the most important.

If you give your dog back to the breeder, do any of the breeders give any money back or is it more of a service? Just wondering as this happened to someone I know and they refused to give the pup back unless they got a complete refund from the breeder, which I think is rude.

Personally if the dog is not returned due to a health or medical problem, then no I don't think they should. I know some breeders offer half of the original purchase price and up, to encourage people to get in contact with them.

I would no expect any money back, especially since the reason would be my problem, not one with the dog, and secondly they would need to feed and care for a probably adult dog until they could find another home.

Yes I agree, why the puppy's owners expected to get the full price back before giving the pup back, I don't know. The person I know offered to help rehome the dog or take it back. I'm not sure how old it was, but would have been over 6 months.

As far as I know the MDBA code of conduct is the only one which covers this.

quote - I will impress on the buyer that they should contact me in the event of any problem arising with the puppy or adult and that I will make every effort to be of assistance in these circumstances. In the case of a dog needing to be re-homed I will take full responsibility to assist as much as possible in achieving this end and will accept the return of that dog at any age if this in any way possible.

DogsQld contains the below in our CoE

m. I agree to only sell a dog where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and I will assist in the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change;

I have always told any of my puppy buyers that if anything happens & they can not keep the puppy/dog that it will always have a place here. You hope they will contact you but sometimes people don't.

Most breeders that I know have taken back dogs that they have bred & have rehomed them.

No rules or laws re this.

My view is that I put it on the earth so therefore it is my responsiblity, if things go wrong.

Not the pound or quick to PTS animal charity. I always put a note at the top of microchip forms that if the dog is ever found or surrendered I, the breeder do a lifetime re home. Don't know if it does much good but I hope so.

I will always endeavour to take back dogs that I have bred and I state that in all of my puppy sales agreements. I also try (where possible) to assist people who have puppies sired by any of my stud dogs.

HOWEVER. I do NOT take back my dogs if the person relinquishing them is asking an unreasonable, exorbitant amount of money for the dog. Firstly, I cannot afford to do that. Secondly, I think if a person is trying to blackmail me into taking back one of my own, then to agree to their terms, conditions and prices is only going to serve to encourage them to do the same thing in the future OR to think that their dog is a disposable commodity.

Editing to add: And now that microchipping is compulsory in order to register dogs with the TCA, Inc, I also put myself down as the second contact for the dog on the microchip forms. Even if I am not in the same state, it is unlikely that I will be uncontactable by the CAR so a static contact is better than nothing.

Edited by ellz

I'm not a breeder, just a gundog lover, but I offered to look after a Pointer cross, but he found a home before he needed to come here.

Kaiser, the GSP in my sig is a foster, whom is going to be rehomed IF the right home comes along. He's not for any person, so I am willing to wait to find the right one.

Edited by Pointees

I did offer to buy back first off,but not anymore.It is too easy for people to have some hiccup in their lives and ask for their money back-this happened 3 times. I do feel bad if you lose your job,decide to have more kids 12 mths later and havent got time etc-but really that is the owners responsibility.I have had to work around it,others need to as well.

Now it just gets drummed into the owners that if they really cant keep the dog,it will come back to me-i pay freight ,desexing etc and rehome when a suitable home comes up.

I have always told any of my puppy buyers that if anything happens & they can not keep the puppy/dog that it will always have a place here. You hope they will contact you but sometimes people don't.

Most breeders that I know have taken back dogs that they have bred & have rehomed them.

This is exactly wht I put in writing for my puppy buyers. Unfortunately, as you said, they dont always contact me. There are 2 cases I can think of where puppies bought from me have been sold or given away without my knowledge :thumbsup: - very disappointing when I try to be ethical and also try to make sure that all my puppies are in good, loving, suitable homes.

I think breeders should take the dog back OR assist with the rehoming if their circumstances mean they cannot physically take the dog back at that time. I don't believe people are entitled to a refund though once the dog is beyond 6 months of age.

I have known some breeders who are very helpful, some breed clubs who are very helpful. Unfortunately i have also seen a dog recently at a shelter- reason for surrender? Dog did not like show ring. :thumbsup: Lovely dog too.

I think breeders should take the dog back OR assist with the rehoming if their circumstances mean they cannot physically take the dog back at that time. I don't believe people are entitled to a refund though once the dog is beyond 6 months of age.

I have known some breeders who are very helpful, some breed clubs who are very helpful. Unfortunately i have also seen a dog recently at a shelter- reason for surrender? Dog did not like show ring. :thumbsup: Lovely dog too.

Oh - that's really sad.....I have a lovely dog who got his title but is becoming increasingly scared in the show-ring and show environment. I love showing but I'd never get rid of him to make room for a "better show prospect".

I guess this really highlights the need to make things very clear when selling pups - as a lot of the contributors on here have said, they outline exactly what will happen if the dog is to be returned and I think it's a good move for everyone to be informed from the outset.

I guess saying no refund if over 6 months might encourage people not to go back to the breeder and send the dog wherever but I think reinforcing behaviour of using these dogs as commodities like something you can return at target for a full refund is wrong (actually if you had some jeans from target for 12 months, I don't think they would give you a refund - lol).

I've found a range of responses. Some will automatically take back a dog they've bred.....or at least be proactive in helping find a new home.

My personal belief is that breeders who do this deserve all support from the dog world community.

And there's only been the odd one or two, who've said 'no' or opted out.

I currently have a 1 year old come back

and then last week helped find a new home for a 4 month old

both owners living arrangements had changed

I have in my hand book Please contact me first if you need to re-home your pup/dog

I do not refund until I have found a new home depending on how long the dog has been here and what price I re-home at what the old owners will get

I would take mine back without question - they are a breed that are easily rehomed - however I find it strange to think that someone would think that it is somehow the breeders legal responsibility to step in and take back a dog just because someone had 'tired' of having it or if they had changed their minds for whatever reason and they want the easy option out of owning a dog.

Perhaps I am not understanding things here but I believe a breeder has a responsibility to do the best they can to produce a healthy and happy puppy/dog - I also believe that when someone buys a puppy it is a long term commitment and not to be taken lightly.

When anyone buys a pup from me I go through as much as I possibly can prior to them getting the pup - the good, the bad and the ugly, so to speak. I do everything to ensure that my buyers are definitely buying with their eyes wide open!!! Genuine family changes in circumstances can't be foreseen but puppys and dogs are not a disposable commodity in my book!

We have it written in our Terms and Conditions that any dog we breed comes back to us if the owners circumstances change. We don't care what age the dog is or what the circumstances are, we will always take a dog of ours back to rehome.

Sadly it doesn't always happen :)

I've not had to take one of mine back, but I've had a few of them come and stay. A couple have been a real challenge for their owners and I've looked after a couple for a few weeks, to give them a break and some extra training.

I'd do anything to help an owner overcome any problems that might be having and so far it's worked out.

As the old saying goes " prevention is better than the cure ".

I do understand that sometimes things happen in your life and dogs can find themselves in a postion where the owner is unable to care for them. If you carefully select the homes for your puppies and offer the support , then it should be the genuine cases where dogs come back