I'm Curious...

Mynewbestfriend

Sorry if this discussion is in the wrong section but it is concerning my 5 month old pup. Since I've become a member on this forum I've been surprised to read quite a bit about crate containment. Forgive my ABSOLUTE ignorance here but what is the benefit to this (other than to prevent accidents around the house)? I'm curious simply because my hound is following me ALL over the place despite my repeated requests to stay put in the one spot (such as his bed). Although we're just about good with housetraining (fingers crossed there's not been a mistake for a while now :laugh: ) this is because I watch him like a hawk whilst he's inside. I wonder then if it could provide some benefit in the instances when (with small children) for decent sized chunks of the day I'm otherwise engaged & have to put him outside (which is happening quite a lot at present).

Pros / cons? Reasons for / against? Added he has never been near to or in a crate so I wouldn't have a clue how you go about gently introducing this without them getting anxious etc. Does it get closed, does it 'act' as bed? I suppose it's different for every doggy hence the reason I'm asking. It's a concept completely unfamiliar to me and certainly something I'd love to hear more about.

I'm keen to make him more an inside dog rather than outside and if a crate is conducive to helping in this matter, perhaps it is worth considering...

Edited by Mynewbestfriend

I have never, and would prefer never to, use a crate in everyday life - however, I can see how in today's lifestyles crate training could be useful :laugh:

I believe :

A crate is set up as THE bestest spot to rest- cosy, comfy and with a toy or three.

A crate is a secure spot where dog can be away from kids and household bustle.

A crate is also useful for periods of time where supervision is not possible, and where dog can be safely housed for a few minutes/hours.

A crate can be a useful way of getting a dog to be happy just staying still in one spot

Instead of the pup having to be locked outside, if you have the crate in a central part of the house it can be inside, seeing and hearing the normal household activity, but not getting into trouble. Allowing a puppy to follow you everywhere is setting it up for problems later on, IMO pups need to learn early in life that it's OK to be alone and also OK to be separated (ie not able to follow/reach) people/things/other dogs it wants or is used to having access to - this teaches patience and how to cope with frustration :laugh:

Lots of other benefits to crates besides housetraining.

Here's why I like mine:

Toilet training, a safe place to put your dog when you can't supervise (particularly when they are young and stupid or still toilet training :laugh: ) or when you are sleeping and dont want them to wander in the night, easy to confine the dog when you have visitors that dont like dogs (or dog doesn't like them), can put dog in there when you need to keep them safe or away from something (mopping the floor, trademen coming in and out etc), you can take it with you if you go away/to obedience traning, or even out to a family picnic if you wanted to. If your dog ever needs to be confined for any reason -vets or injury- it will be able to relax and settle in the crate without an issue (more useful than you think).

...and probably many more reasons that I can't think of at the moment lol.

and why my dog likes his:

It's a safe, secure place of his own where he can go to relax, eat or just get away from it all when he needs to. :(

I have crate trained the last 3 pups I've had. Mainly because they have to be crated at dog school when I am teaching.

This time I have had my pup in her pen/crate rather than chasing her around the house. It has worked great and she loves being in there. The pen gives her extra room rather than just being in a crate. If I just need her inside and safe I just stash her in there. She has been in a fair bit over the weekend as the weather has been so bad in Victoria.

This is my set up.

post-10280-1268033851_thumb.jpg

I have crate trained the last 3 pups I've had. Mainly because they have to be crated at dog school when I am teaching.

This time I have had my pup in her pen/crate rather than chasing her around the house. It has worked great and she loves being in there. The pen gives her extra room rather than just being in a crate. If I just need her inside and safe I just stash her in there. She has been in a fair bit over the weekend as the weather has been so bad in Victoria.

This is my set up.

post-10280-1268033851_thumb.jpg

I've just brought my rescue dog home and have today been searching online for a crate (it turns out she isn't cat tolerant & I have two). So she's been on a lead most of the time to avoid having a go at the cats but I'm finding feeding time is the most difficult. Being only a day or so into her new environment, she won't let me out of her sight and if I put her outside or behind a closed door in the computer room she scratches at the door, whines or barks. And for a little dog, she sure does have a deep loud bark lol..... I've also been looking at pens but you seem to have the perfect solution JulesP. Can you please tell me where you obtained your set up and roughly how much it cost? PM me if you prefer.....

Thanks

Like a lot of others, I didn't know about crates when I had my first dogs. Now I start mine in crates as soon as I get them - in fact with my current boy, his crate training started once his littermates that were leaving had gone to their new homes. His lovely breeder started crating him and his brother and sister separately, so that they were quite used to spending time alone at night. This helped him to take his 10 hour confinement on his flight(s) to my place like a little trooper - no stress, no fuss.

Like Jules and others, mine are crated at trials and shows,

as puppies crated at night next to my bed to assist toilet training (in fact my boy still has his crate there - but with the door open now he's a big boy :mad ),

crated for safety in the car,

and crated at night when we're staying in dog-friendly accommodation.

It can also reduce stress if they have to be crated for medical reasons, or at the vet.

I've said it before, but it always amazes me how dogs generalise the concept of 'crate' - I can only think it's because they regard it as a den. So mine are perfectly happy to go into soft crates, wire crates of plactic crates. They don't even care whether the crates are theirs or no. :rofl:

There are threads on DOL on the how to do it, and you'll also find some good stuff elsewhere on the net.

Having showdogs all ours are crate trained.

The other major factor vet trips/stays mean they go in a crate.

Also you will read on this forum people whose dogs have injured themselves badly & suddenly need to be crated.

A dog that can happily accept a crate when the time arises is a god send.

We dont use them daily as such except for puppies who are safer to be crated at night than roaming until they are more experienced

I have mine open in the living room,

If quatro isn't at my feet begging for food :crossfingers: he'll stash himself away with a toy and stay there for hours...

I covered mine with an old sheet so I guess it feels cosy and safe.

This is fascinating, and like I said, a completely new concept to me. I'm wishing now we'd started this sooner as he is a very 'needy' dog -- wanting to be right where we are (usually right under our feet) which is frustrating at times. I'd like him to learn that it's OKAY to be by himself for little chunks at a time. We also have a poodle who he is bothering a lot (the poodle is 7 and a bit over the pup always wanting to goof around :crossfingers: ). It might be a good all round solution for all of us.

Thanks a heap for all your replies. I'll get researching how best to introduce & manage (I guess short stints at a time in the beginning?)

Just did a search crate training puppy on my trusty www.dogpile.com search engine, and it threw up lots of good articles on getting started.

I'd put a blanket over the crate - leaving the front open - and using a very high value treat (and/or toy) - preferable one that the pup doesn't get routinely. This can be the special crate reward. Initially, I'd just be leaving the pup in there to enjoy the treat - say chicken wing - for a few minutes - if necessary, you could sit nearby and have a coffee. Then invite the pup out again. Rinse and repeat as often as possible.