Urgent Advice Needed

Sankari

I was inside on DOL as usual with my dog inside by my side and I heard a commotion outside so i went to investigate and heard a dog fight next door - 3 JRT Xs live there, 2 bitches and 1 dog. Anyway i looked over the fence and told the youngest to cut it out and then see that she had the middle aged one by the throat tossing her about. Then finally she stopped but the middle dog wasnt moving, blood everywhere and she's dead. The middle dog and the youngest are the bitches.

Only about a month ago i had rescued the middle one from being hit by a car (it got out under the gate). The woman loves these dogs dearly and told us if she came home to find one gone she'd be devastated. It's fairly warm day, and she usually isnt home from work til about 6pm or so. I dont have her contact number, do I ring the ranger? Put a note on her door?

I don't know what to do. I wonder if i dont do anything will she think we did something to her dog. I cant believe the dog actually killed her.

I know bitches are not good together but the middle one wasnt doing anything they get along well together and as far as i know the one that died from the fight was sick looking bones all exposed whereas the one who killed her is very fat for a JRT.

Any help appreciated!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you ring the dog ranger, they will come and dispose of the body but the owner will probably not have much say in the disposal of it and they may have ideas of their own.

Alternatively, you could give your vet a ring (unless you know which vet your neighbour uses) and see if they can hold the body until the owner is notified. But you'll probably still have to notify the ranger so that they can notify the neighbour unless you wish to do so yourself.

does the other dogs wear dog tags? it might have her number on it.

will it be dangerous to over to check?

But call the ranger

Just want to add... poor dog :laugh:

Edited by charleswentworth

Rangers. Don't assume it's dead because it's not moving - it could be unconscious and in need of urgent medical attention.

If you tell them you think it might be alive, they might come at the rush.

Edited by poodlefan

An ex employee of mine left her supposedly dead SWF that her GSD bitch had grabbed by the throat in the backyard and went out :) She came back and the dog was still alive, had deep punctures to the throat and was in shock but she pulled through. The GSD bitch went on 2 kill another SWF (that was on lead with it's owner) and badly injure another (same scenario). They gave their SWF away at a garage sale, luckily a current employee took her and they love her to bits. They kept the GSD bitch, she is still undesexed (cause she has papers you know) and there were no restrictions placed on them by the Council. It sickens me.

I agree with Poodlefan she may be in shock or unconscious are you sure she is dead? Horrid situation when the owner comes home, a terrible way to die for the girl :D

Sorry, but rightly or wrongly, I am with SBT. I would not be able to help myself, aggressive dogs or not, I would have been over that fence in a flash and grabbed the supposed dead dog.

Not suggesting you should necessarily do that too though LC.

What an awful predicament for you to be in.

Get somehelp if you can and jump the fence and take the dog to a vet immediately. If you are not game - call a ranger/police/rspca.

I stopped for a supposedly left for "dead" dog on the road, and she was still alive :D and then rushed her to a vet.

If the dog is still breathing, move very carefully in case it attempts to bite - try to stretcher onto a towel or flat board to carry if possible in case of broken bones.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Um i feel a little stupid, it wasnt dead. I rang the vet who said leave it there, have rung Police. They're sending someone around.

Her vet was no help, told me to leave it there.

yes, her vet was going to give her a call.

I am really crossing my fingers for the poor dog. I feel really sick in the stomach now. If I got home and that had happened to my dog i would be mortified.