Arghhhhh Family & Dogs!

Zensu

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'd also dob them in about Macky while I was at it, and let the Council know that they have the puppy, and any future dog they get. If they have to register him with the council, then they can't just call animal welfare when they get sick of him.

I agree, at least if you dob them into council about this new puppy they will have to register him and will hopefully not dump him when they've had enough.

Have you thought about trying to re home him yourself? Is there a rescue near you that does golden oldie re homing?

Edited by Crazy Daisy

Better forget about going to BBQs over there again :o:rofl:

If it were me, I'd write a letter to them - something similar to what you've written here on DOL. Maybe like a Q & A type- thing? Explain the situation through your eyes and then explain what they could have done.

Explain how much animals mean to you and your family and it's how you've been brought up - this shows them why you are so hurt at their actions and you are NOT just a crazy dog lady! Give them the alternatives to tying a dog to a letterbox and how you would have dealt with the situations they've faced with their dogs as a RESPONSIBLE dog owner.

Obviously, your husband realises the triggers as well 'cos he's kicking you under the table LOL - but perhaps it would help if he were also a little more vocal in his disapproval - or does he agree with what they are doing??

You are seriously never going to mend this relationship (even if you want OR need to) so I think your only chance to place your cards on the table and try to make them understand. :rofl: I really do think these people have stuffed the whole dog-ownership thing - I don't know that they can change because it's obviously something they see as being absolutely fine. I know I could never go back to SIL's after these scenarios so there's nothing to be lost in giving them a heartfelt "lecture". :rofl:

You are completely justified. I honestly think that trying to explaing nicely would make no difference at all, a complete waste of time. Sounds like they just don't get it. I say dog nap the golden oldy and try to rehome him. If circumstances for me were a little different I would have him but unfortunately its not possible, I hope someone else can help the poor old thing

You say your SIL and her hubby, I'm assuming it's your husband's brother? What's wrong with your husband - doesn't he see the wrong in this? How about he stand up for your principles and talk to his brother? Having said that, this sort of thing goes on far more than you think, evidence - all the dogs in the pounds. Look at all the kids in 'care' it's a sad world :o

SIL is my husbands Sister - she tries to smooth arguments, but her hubby is one of those people with a "know it all" personality. Not just limited to dog ownership I'm afraid.

Ahwell...

guess what, Cody has come to our house, picked him up at 7am, I dont really have the time (I'm 32 weeks pregnant) or the space (we already have 6 Pointers :S ) but what else can you do.

his back legs arent doing so well, and his weight is not flash either, but we gave him a bath, spot on and wormed him, so atleast he is comfortable.

Edited to add: MY family has done a ring around this morning , and we have found someone to take Cody for the rest of his retirement :o

Edited by Zensu

Guest Willow
SIL is my husbands Sister - she tries to smooth arguments, but her hubby is one of those people with a "know it all" personality. Not just limited to dog ownership I'm afraid.

Ahwell...

guess what, Cody has come to our house, picked him up at 7am, I dont really have the time (I'm 32 weeks pregnant) or the space (we already have 6 Pointers :S ) but what else can you do.

his back legs arent doing so well, and his weight is not flash either, but we gave him a bath, spot on and wormed him, so atleast he is comfortable.

Edited to add: MY family has done a ring around this morning , and we have found someone to take Cody for the rest of his retirement :o

Good on you girl!!!! :confused:

Ahwell...

Well done :confused:

Good result Zensu but for all the kindness in the world - why should you be the one to have to clean up their mess?? And seriously - it IS going to happen again - these people need some education.

Now..........what to do about that PUPPY they've still got there........ :confused:

Edited by t-time

My siister in law and her hubby had 2 dogs... Cody -probably about 12 years old, he was a rescue and Macky a 4 year old Jack Russell X. They have had Macky all his life and Cody for about 6 years.

Suddenly Macky has decided to fight with Cody... after several weeks of locking Macky in a shed (lets not go there either :confused: ) they decided that Macky has to go. Do they rehome him?? NO!!! tHEY TIED HIM TO THEIR LETTER BOX AND THEN THEY BLOODY RING ANIMAL WELFARE!!! Tell them there is a stray (of course the dogs arent registered or microchipped etc)

By this time, my SIL is 38 weeks pregnant with their 2nd child and has said to her OH that after Cody dies, they are not having any more dogs until the renovate to back yard. "we love Cody, he is a great dog raah rah rah"

So we go there for dinner last week and Cody is flea infested and super thin, i ask what they are feeding him, and they are feeding him only plain label dry food. I then "VERY politely" tell them that when you earn over 2000 dollars a week you can afford to buy your dog meat and decent dry food... this doesnt go down terribly well... dinner is very awkward after this... my hubby kicks me under the table and reminds me that not everyone has the same views on their dogs as we do... I sit silently and fume throughout the entire meal.

After dinner we get in the car to go home... It takes me about 3 seconds (dont think we had finished reversing out of their driveway) to explode and rant all the way home... GRR GRR GRR

So tonight we go to the In Laws for a BBQ and my SIL and her OH are there and GUESS WHAT!!! They have a new puppy.. a pure bred "Blue Heeler" with papers... Hubby kicks me before i say anything and pushed me outside to cook the BBQ.

The puppy is a sweet enough little thing, about 6 months old, skinny, needs worming etc, and is probably a Cattle Dog X Kelpie or something similar. SIL and her OH are slightly offended when i wont pat the puppy too much after they inform me it isnt vaccinated... I have a 12 week old puppy at home..

Dinner is served and they inform me that Cody doesnt like the puppy so tomorrow they are tying him to the letter box and ringing animal welfare... We're talking a 12 year old rottie... he isnt going to be rehomed, they will put him down :D :laugh:

I am seriously so bloody angry and disgusted... My family has always had show dogs (i'm third generation) so am i being a dog Nazi?? Or am i justified in being a ranting bitch??

WTF is WRONG with these people !! Tie THEM up to the letter box and call animal control would be more fitting ! I would cause the biggest outburst the family had ever heard and tell all and sundry just what I thought, family or not ! If they were abusing their kids you'd speak up, no bloody different IMO. No you are not being a dog nazi , these people are despicable. :o