Retirement Homes For Dogs

fiona mills

As the title suggests, I have been asked by someone who adopted a dog from me whether there is a place that dogs can go to spend the remainder of their lives if their owner passes away?? Person involved would like to make some provisions for 2 large breed dogs who must stay together should she go to the bridge before they do. Has anyone heard of a place?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware of a retirement place for dogs but but the RSPCA will look after dogs and other pets when owners die. I am not sure about the details but I believe you need to organise it properly with your solicitor and obviously leave some financial means for the animals up keep and probably donation too. A friends cousin organised it for her animals a few years ago and she looked at various options but decided on the RSPCA other animal welfare sites may be able to assist with your question.

The RSPCA does do it but I would NOT send my dog there. After seeing the treatment of some of the dogs there....I wouldn't want my dog to spend even a day in that enviroment. :laugh:

She would be better off organising with friends and leave money in her will to provide for them. My friends have left me their dogs in their will.

I am not aware of a retirement place for dogs but but the RSPCA will look after dogs and other pets when owners die. I am not sure about the details but I believe you need to organise it properly with your solicitor and obviously leave some financial means for the animals up keep and probably donation too. A friends cousin organised it for her animals a few years ago and she looked at various options but decided on the RSPCA other animal welfare sites may be able to assist with your question.

I have no first hand experience with RSPCA, but I know the stories abound . . . . . . . .

It is good that that your friend is looking into this Fiona. They need to make realistic monetary provisions in their wills for the dogs to be looked after. They need to look around to find someone whom they can trust absolutely to do the right thing in either keeping the dogs or placing them in a new home.

I have stipulated that a trust fund be set up for my dogs and cat to be looked after should I die before they do. I am lucky in that I have family members I would trust totally to look after my animals in terms of either keeping them or finding them new homes.

MDBA pacers is doing this. Im happy to speak with her www.mdbapacers.org.au

We currently have some which we keep the owners updated on fortnightly after they go into aged homes where their dogs have not been able to go with a letter to tell them the things their dogs are getting up to and regular photos and we will honour any wishes for animals who are left when someone dies.

I guess you could call what we are doing is like a retirement home for pets. Right here under my feet we have Cindy who is 15 years old and her owner was put in aged care and had to leave her behind.She is incontinent and epileptic and will stay with Pacers until she needs to go to the bridge.

I would ask a no-kill shelter. In anything but I no-kill shelter, I'd fear that the status of the dogs would be forgotten over time and they might get pts, or separated.

The best home for her dogs if she passes away is someone elses.

Even the best shelter is no place for a dog to spend months or years. Her best option would be to talk to family and friends about her wishes and to aim for rehoming. Many long term shelter dogs have significant behaviour issues caused by the conditions they are kept in. Well loved dogs deserve a better life than being kept in a run with a brief outing a day if they're lucky. Warehousing dogs doesn't sit at all well with me for any reason.

Personally, I think she should rethink the 'must stay together' proviso. Single dogs have much better chances of rehoming and can rebond to new dogs and situations without one another.

Edited by poodlefan

I agree the best place for dogs who cant live at home anymore is someone else's home and we try to replicate as much as possible the same type of environment for them in new homes.I wouldnt want my dogs kept in kennels with no one loving them when I go.

Yes, the RSPCA do it as do some other private refuges etc, but personally I'd rather see an older dog laying on the end of somebody else's bed than languishing in a kennel for the rest of its life. If that cannot be arranged, I have left instructions for my dogs to be euthanased. Sounds hard but if they can't live the rest of their lives in cushy comfort then I'd rather they go to sleep humanely.

For my part, I am a "beneficiary" of a few dogs in other peoples' wills. One of my puppies from my 2009 Stafford litter has gone to live with an older lady. If anything happens to her, he is coming home for the rest of his life. He shares his home with two older Staffords (both are 11) as well and if Ben comes home to us, then his companions Bran and Bridget are coming with him.

If people are interested in the issues long term shelter life can create, Jean Donaldson has written an excellent article here.

It's an issue that anyone who advocates "no kill" shelters really needs to think about.

Shelters tend to be fairly spartan, highly stressful places that are disease hot spots. I know that long termers tend to be kept separate but its still not a great life. It's certainly not where I'd love a much loved dog to live out its days. Bear in mind that such dogs may live for many many years.

Just to set the record straight, animals that are part of the animal bequest program through the RSPCA are fostered out to homes that can accommodate them in the ways that they're used to ie getting to sleep on the bed etc., for the rest of their lives. They also are entitled to help from RSPCA vets and behaviourists. :laugh:

I would also rather my animals be euthanised if a loving home couldn't be found for them. I couldn't think of anything worse than them spending the rest of their lives in kennels after being loved family members - enjoying the comforts of living in a home with daily exercise, training and attention. I think quality of life is more important than just existing.

Just to set the record straight, animals that are part of the animal bequest program through the RSPCA are fostered out to homes that can accommodate them in the ways that they're used to ie getting to sleep on the bed etc., for the rest of their lives. They also are entitled to help from RSPCA vets and behaviourists. :laugh:

What happens if a suitable foster home can't be found?

Some time back, there was a privately run retirement home for cats....in a rural area, somewhere near Childers in Qld. They used to advertise in magazines etc. I can't recall the environment exactly, but the accommodation was based on replicating many of the aspects of living in a home.

I haven't seen the ads for a long time, so maybe it doesn't operate any more, as in taking in new 'guests'.

Yes, but sadly, the fine print says "where available". The reality is that there are generally more animals than suitable homes.

luvmycav is right, RSPCA try and find the animals a permanent foster home, and take responsibility for vet etc. if the can't find a placement then until they do they are 'office' fostered, or like in one cat, has the freedom of the entire private cat ward in the clinic. they are rarely left in the kennels. they do their quarantine and then are treated for any issues and tried to find a home through vollies and employees.

i don't know of any other orgs that do it though i'm sure some must have a bequest program - would aaps? they strike me as an org that would be able to find suitable homes for bequest animals...

(sorry for shorthand typing in places - broken wrist makes it hard to type!)

I have heard rumors to the contrary for WA (eg, older bequeathed dogs being pts). I don't say the rumors are true. But would advise checking around. I would guess that each state RSPCA, and each shelter, is different, and lots of things change over time. I would agree that the best option is to find a family, cause most shelters are stressful.

Edited by sandgrubber