Supercoat

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hormones in chicken is one of the main reasons I stopped feeding it to my dog and I dont eat a lot of meat myself because if this.

No hormones in chicken. Illegal for about 20 years. And inspectors used to check it, but they are not used now. :thumbsup:

Are u 100% sure? If they dont use hormones why are the chicken breasts you see in store so huge compared to what they used to be?? and Why are the organic ones more of a regular size?

Selective breeding. :rofl:

There is a breed of meat chick that will get to over 3 kgs at 16 weeks.I bought some years ago and dressed out at 3.2 kgs at 24 weeks(not under lights or cage bound) so slower growth.

They are selectively bred,but ours had lots of bone abnormalities from the weight/growth so i never got them again.Also crap layers as i tried to produce some of the better conformed ones,bu tno luck.

There is no hormones used ,and hasnt been for more than 20 years-AB'S yes,and that is tightly regulated and inspected.Companies face huge fines if the meat tests positive to even antibiotics at time of kill-yes i do know that fo ra fact,the paperwork involved in medications for intensive piggeries is unbelievable,and is regularly audited.

Edited by centitout

I tried supercoat on my litter in 2008,they did well on it,but lots of end product,so back to coprice for me as the dry portion of their diet.

I did try mine on a total raw diet and they looked like shit and had to feed a huge amount to keep weight on them,so i have a compromise with the 1 700gm tin a day o f coprice and the rest is a raw mix.Works for me. :laugh:

And yes,i know,coprice is crap too apparently,but when i see a dog of mine raised on science diet,and looks no better than one of my coprice dogs,i cant justify the price difference.

I've had the same experiance with supercoat and a complete raw diet (just with my dogs, don't have puppies etc) I've fed my dogs on Coprice but they didn't particularly like it. However they do very well on Uncle Albers etc adn Bonnie Working Dog - so that is what they get. I've regularly used ProPlan, Royal Canin etc and i think they are fab foods and will likely put my next dog on them while a pup at least (will be giant breed). But curently my guys are adults and get a mix of bones and kibble and some tinned food for their weeks diet - they do very wekk in regards to condition and there isn't huge amounts of poo to dispose of.

Feed what best suits your dog.

I have had dogs since I was a kid, and they have all been on supermarket foods, ranging from Chum, to Pal even at times HomeBrand... I agree tinned food is crap, mainly water and jelly... but dry foods are a different story.

Supercoat has been popular in our family and with our dogs since we started it many years ago on our Fox Terrier cross. Since fleeing the nest, I have fed all my dogs on it. All with NO adverse effects. The ONLY reason I switched to AB & UA recently was the cost, although I will admit, my Rottys FAD appears to be much better since the switch (but that could also be co-incidental with a change in Flea Regimes). Both my Rotty and GSD prefer the GB over the AB, but they still don't seemed to be overly fussed on it. When I went to get a bag yesterday, the store was sold out so I hunted through the options and almost went for the SuperCoat again, but decided to give Pedegree Natural ago. Both dogs SCOFF the stuff, will be interesting to see the rear end results...

Yet, I have a mate who feeds his Kelpies on the Aldi sold kibble and canned food. Both are beautiful, healthy dogs, full of energy and no adverse poo's etc...

I admit that when I am looking for a dog food, I do read the ingredients, but that is only to find a food that does not start with a Cereal or Grain as the primary ingredient.

One question for all the BARF or RAW or so called Food Nazis...

If the dogs are so much better off on the above diets and Supermarket or non-premium kibbles are pretty much crap, why then are there soooo many dogs out there, on farms, in backyards, on tradies utes etc who live LONG healthy lives on this stuff?? And not to mention all the other "left overs" they get fed?

If the dogs are so much better off on the above diets and Supermarket or non-premium kibbles are pretty much crap, why then are there soooo many dogs out there, on farms, in backyards, on tradies utes etc who live LONG healthy lives on this stuff?? And not to mention all the other "left overs" they get fed?

One question for you. Why are people who feed BARF/raw referred to as food Nazis?

Another question for you.. how do you know these farm dogs are fed Supercoat, and how do you know they are living long healthy lives on it? Have you researched this?

I know plenty of dogs who were fed supermarket foods and lived well into their teens. Our 3 family dogs grew up on supermarket foods and lived on them their entire lives. Our JRT died at 16 from a ruptured liver tumour. One GR was pts at 15 after developing complications from a chicken frame she ate which became obstructed and our other GR was put to sleep at 15 from degenerative joint disease where one day she could just no longer get up properly.

I know of a dog who was fed raw who died at 2.5yrs from cancer. I know a few others who have died quite young from cancer who were fed raw.

I feed raw now but that's mostly because of dietary requirements - it's what he does best on.

The foods you buy in the supermarkets, vets, stock feed places etc are all balanced diets and can provide a dog with its nutritional requirements. If your dog does well on it, awesome. If not, time to try some others.

One question for you. Why are people who feed BARF/raw referred to as food Nazis?

Another question for you.. how do you know these farm dogs are fed Supercoat, and how do you know they are living long healthy lives on it? Have you researched this?

Maybe they are referred to as that because they like to "dictate" to people that barf is best. And their attitude comes across as there is no better.

That is just my opinion though.

vk2mpj didnt say that the farm dogs were all fed supercoat(well that is how I read it) she just said supermarket or non premium kibbles

Maybe they are referred to as that because they like to "dictate" to people that barf is best. And their attitude comes across as there is no better.

vk2mpj didnt say that the farm dogs were all fed supercoat(well that is how I read it) she just said supermarket or non premium kibbles

Maybe you can let vk2mpj answer the question themselves considering it was addressed to them :laugh:

Edited by gareth

The hormones in chicken is one of the main reasons I stopped feeding it to my dog and I dont eat a lot of meat myself because if this.

No hormones in chicken. Illegal for about 20 years. And inspectors used to check it, but they are not used now. :laugh:

Are u 100% sure? If they dont use hormones why are the chicken breasts you see in store so huge compared to what they used to be?? and Why are the organic ones more of a regular size?

Because they are bred to be like that. I raised some meat chickens from day old, and they were the size of ostriches - just on "regular" food.

Don't know about organic ones.

Hormones are banned though, Australia wide. None of the commercial foods contain hormones, and I don't believe anyone would be silly enough to be feeding chickens hormones, because there are still checks, and would be fines.

There is a breed of meat chick that will get to over 3 kgs at 16 weeks.I bought some years ago and dressed out at 3.2 kgs at 24 weeks(not under lights or cage bound) so slower growth.

They are selectively bred,but ours had lots of bone abnormalities from the weight/growth so i never got them again.Also crap layers as i tried to produce some of the better conformed ones,bu tno luck.

There is no hormones used ,and hasnt been for more than 20 years-AB'S yes,and that is tightly regulated and inspected.Companies face huge fines if the meat tests positive to even antibiotics at time of kill-yes i do know that fo ra fact,the paperwork involved in medications for intensive piggeries is unbelievable,and is regularly audited.

Sorry, missed this. I had some meat chickens which grew into ostriches, and grew old and died, after a few years. They never laid at all, and I was told that they were (a) sterilized and (b) that they weren't bred to reproduce. Not sure whether either of these stories were true, never bothered to find out.

None of them were abnormal. I was told they would grow so big they couldn't stand up etc, but nothing like that happened, but after a couple of years, they popped off. I think perhaps the body was too big for the heart?

Best layers in my experience were burned out battery girls. They were good for 3 eggs over 2 days, which is pretty good, they live forever, and they lay for a very long time. The very best thing about them is that they so love to be"free" - they sit on the ground like stunned fowls looking at everything, and once they are over the shock of it, they lay their little hearts out.

Food Nazis come in the BARF variety and the dry variety apparently :laugh:

they are referred to as that because they like to "dictate" to people that barf is best. And their attitude comes across as there is no better.

Maybe you can let vk2mpj answer the question themselves considering it was addressed to them :laugh:

I was offering my opinon because...I am allowed. You didnt have to reply to me :laugh:

Lots of people offer their opinion even though a question was not directed at them.

and you forgot to include the "Maybe" in my quote :D ;) :D :D :(

Food Nazis come in the BARF variety and the dry variety apparently :laugh:

Agreed Jed.

I was always of the belief that this forum supported BARF feeding and I for one, have learnt an enormous amount on how to feed BARF from this forum, in particular from Steve's posts in the last few years. Why is it now that when people on this forum talk about thier preference for BARF feeding they get called food nazis? It really is offensive.

I will repeat - it should be about what is best for your dog. And for those who go the extra mile to research and try different foods to see how the dogs perform and what they are healthiest on, whether it be dry or natural, well good on em.

To clarify....I use the term Food Nazis to refer to ANYBODY who dictates to others what they should feed their dogs and yes, that includes dry food nazis.

Nobody has the right to refer to any other form of food as "rubbish" just because they don't feed it. Many do that and have never fed the food that they are trashing.

I have said REPEATEDLY (and you'll see this if you search my posts).....the best food is the food your dog does best on. Whether others agree with your choices or not.

You need to balance the equation of the individual dog, the availability of the food, the cost and what you can afford. The food that ticks all boxes, or most boxes is what you should feed.

I feed what I feed because I get the results that suit me. Nobody has the right to tell me that I'm doing the wrong thing.

I couldn't give a toss whether you feed RAW, BARF, or a dry food that has a "name" and costs you the equivalent of the national debt for a small bag just because your dog doesn't shit much. I'd think the same of you if your dog looked great on no-name dry food from Coles as long as you were happy with how your dog/s respond to it.

To clarify....I use the term Food Nazis to refer to ANYBODY who dictates to others what they should feed their dogs and yes, that includes dry food nazis.

Nobody has the right to refer to any other form of food as "rubbish" just because they don't feed it. Many do that and have never fed the food that they are trashing.

I have said REPEATEDLY (and you'll see this if you search my posts).....the best food is the food your dog does best on. Whether others agree with your choices or not.

You need to balance the equation of the individual dog, the availability of the food, the cost and what you can afford. The food that ticks all boxes, or most boxes is what you should feed.

I feed what I feed because I get the results that suit me. Nobody has the right to tell me that I'm doing the wrong thing.

I couldn't give a toss whether you feed RAW, BARF, or a dry food that has a "name" and costs you the equivalent of the national debt for a small bag just because your dog doesn't shit much. I'd think the same of you if your dog looked great on no-name dry food from Coles as long as you were happy with how your dog/s respond to it.

I completely agree. I don't think I am lazy for feeding dry food. My dogs are healthy and that's all that matters.

I was not implying that BARF or RAW feeders are food nazis (although some do have that appearance...) it was a question to those who feed raw / barf and to the food nazis, ie. Those people who say "xxxx brand is crap, you should be feeding Barf/Raw/Premium Kibble/insert food here.

Another question for you.. how do you know these farm dogs are fed Supercoat...

Where did I say that?

...and how do you know they are living long healthy lives on it? Have you researched this?

Observations, and REAL LIFE experience mate, personally knowing dogs, both farming and otherwise living into their teens and hardly seeing the inside of vet clinic (except for routine vaccinations, the odd snake bite etc..) sorry I don't have some fancy piece of paper to satisfy your scientific needs. But sometimes real life just likes to thumb its nose at all those theorists out there.

I ask you, have you any evidence to suggest otherwise?

Best layers in my experience were burned out battery girls. They were good for 3 eggs over 2 days, which is pretty good, they live forever, and they lay for a very long time. The very best thing about them is that they so love to be"free" - they sit on the ground like stunned fowls looking at everything, and once they are over the shock of it, they lay their little hearts out.

You can regularly adopt these chookies as well - tho it appears they turn up almost naked of feathers...so i'll take the time and set up my pen and then keep an eye out for some 'retired' ex battery hens to take over the yard after the main bit of winter is over. As long as the GSD's don't realise the chooks are covered meaty frames on legs we'll all be fine! :driving:

Edited by KitKat