Breed Suggestions For A Child/teenage Owner

Jodi1981

Talking about full on, I just got a border collie puppy. As you already know, border collie is a working dog and ALWAYS wants to play and run about so much. Being a 21 year old male, it's a bit hard for me to keep him off some things I don't want him to do so I am not sure whether it's really controllable by a 12 year old. But He is a nice little boy who doesn't cry a lot and learn fast(my puppy but every dog is different). I went to puppy pre school and the dog trainer warned me about BC jumping on people.

You might want to look at Shetland Sheepdog(sheltie) and Japanese Spitz. They are wonderful breeds. Sheltie is lovely and very friendly. Highly suggest as jap spitz is low maintenance and beautiful. They will not grow too big so it's goodz My gf and I wanted to try big dogs as she already owned toy poodles before, if not sheltie and jap spitz is on our list.

It all depends on the individual child and puppy. I successfully sold a Border Collie to a 12 year old boy with very supposrtive parents, many years ago. I was very careful to choose a laid back, easy going puppy that he could cope with and it worked out wonderfully. The whole family adored the dog for all of his life but he was very much the boy's own dog. His young owner fed, trained, groomed and showed him and the dog was beautifully behaved.

A Sheltie is also a nice choice for this age group, but the coat is more work than either a Border Collie or a Japanese Spitz.

Koolies are excellent with children, easy to train, you can get a laid back one who is interested in dog sports if that is what she wants. I have a long coat and she does shed, but her coat does not require much maintenance and because her fur is so soft it is actually easier to keep the house clean than with a shedding short coated dog whose hair gets stuck in carpet and upholstery.

Guest Tess32

A smooth collie would be perfect really. Collies blond closely to their owners but are still family dogs, they are easy to handle, laid back inside, don't need tons of exercise etc and are easy to train.

I'm with Tess, at least go to a show and have a look at some smooth collies. My first dog that was all mine was a collie rough I was 7, a more patient tolerant lady never breathed. She passed away in 2000 a grand old lady who taught me so much and was very well loved, she even had her own very loyal "fan club". :laugh: My second was another rough at 13. I took both these dogs to obedience and looked after them completely unassisted (not counting financially of course!). They were easy, they were kind and tolerant and gentle. Though the old lady use to get a twinkle in her eye and shimmy into a sit instead of doing those wonderful sharp, straight sits I longed for, and she barked and sang and smirked much to the uninitiated horror. I still have a collie and the love affair continues unabated!

Having a dog as a child can be a wonderful, life long gift or a mistake. Take your time and look around. Get the right dog and instill responsibility in your daughters mind. I looked after my dogs myself their whole lives, I walked them, feed them, groomed them, trained them, me and only me, right through my teens. Teenagers can and will step up to the plate if they have to, it all depends on how easy it is not to and how much they want to.

Good luck!

If she wants to do dog sports, it is worth considering that in 5 years time. she is likely to be very busy at school and may also be very social etc. I think it would be preferable to get a dog who can take or leave sport, rather than one that needs it.

A sheltie would be good, or if you don't mind grooming mini schnauzers and mini poodles are great all-round family dogs. Also, if she is planning to take the dog with her when she leaves home, a smaller dog may be easier to find accommodation with.

when i was a kid i had a dachshund...a seriosuly devoted intelligent fun dog and companion

but id not have one again cos of their build

if i had that choice to make

id consider the tibetan spaniel..only from what ive read here

and shelties

a good temperament in a sheltie is a must...i dont know if there are any super shy ones out there anymore but if you get a stable confident dog theyre awesome as companions and the coat is not at all smelly...which is a must for our household at least...the grooming isnt as bad as it looks cos the coat isnt soft but of course there is weekly brushing

theyre mini lassies and so pretty

i dont mean theyre mini lassies in the literal sense but they just look so easy to handle and stay close to the owners...so easy to train

poodles can be fine too..easy dogs but then there is the grooming every 6 weeks

dont know about italian greyhounds...to me theyre more an adults dog...theyre not the most fun dogs...theyre lounge lizards and love cuddling but only for warmth not devotion...theyll not follow a kid round the house and if your daughter wants a companion then maybe she should consider something more devoted

pomeranians are great little dogs...coat needs work ...but again not as a bad as a maltese that matts very easily...poms will need a good brush every few days and check for knots but otherwise pretty easy cos of the size and very easy to train...very devoted and loving

lots of choices...just the luck of picking the actual puppy from the litter....you can go wrong even with the easiest of breeds

good luck

it is a fun exercise

I've always found our Golden retrievers have been great with kids. They are easy care (except for the shedding!), are great at obedience and agility and aren't too hard to get ready for a show if that's what she choose to do.

We currently have a nine month old Golden staying with us and even my four year old takes him for a walk.

I also suggest taking her to a couple of shows and letting her see what takes her fancy. If she really loves smooth collies maybe you can take her to meet some breeders.

If she wants to do dog sports, it is worth considering that in 5 years time. she is likely to be very busy at school and may also be very social etc. I think it would be preferable to get a dog who can take or leave sport, rather than one that needs it.

A sheltie would be good, or if you don't mind grooming mini schnauzers and mini poodles are great all-round family dogs. Also, if she is planning to take the dog with her when she leaves home, a smaller dog may be easier to find accommodation with.

A papillon is great for agility and sports but can take it or leave it...very girly too!

Edited by FlyingFurball

Have you considered Australian Shepherds.

Some of my favourites are little girl's best friends. :laugh:

I second this!!!

I got my Aussie girl when I was 11 years old, she was an absolutely awesome dog- very easy to train and a lot of fun.

They don't really need that much grooming but they do need a couple of hours of exercise a day.

But i suppose the decision is best left to her.

My best mate through teenaged years was an Aussie Terrier. It was a long time ago now, but I have only heard good things about the breed when purchased from a breeder who studies temperament (I've met some nippy BYB versions).

ETA (because I'm now on a real computer and not my phone), my boy was great at keeping secrets, learnt commands in French and German as I did those languages at school and practiced them on him, and never ever let me down which is better than my 'best friend' at the time! My dad inherited my boy when I had to move away from home to Uni. After he passed, my dad had a Jack Russell that was full-on Energizer Bunny and he wouldn't have suited me as a teenager. It depends so much on the breed, the breeder, and your expectations. Meeting lots and lots of dogs and breeders is the best way to research - and lots of fun!

Edited by Katdogs

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestion, lots of research to do :eek:

We actually went to a dog show today and she played with some Miniature Pinschers so now they are on the list, LOL, We will go to a few more shows to try and narrow down the possibilties (I fell in love witha french bulldog but thats another story, LOL).

We did see a lot of breeds that she said NO WAY to :bolt: My son (3 Years Old) made great friends with a HUGE dog of some sort (bout the size of a great dane but with long hair?) which was quite funny to see, LOL

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions :doh:

Jodi

I know you said that she seemed to prefer a short coat but I have to suggest a sheltie like a few other people have. They are just the best dog with kids, smart, absolutely gorgeous & easy to train & look after (yes, even the coat isn't that much work if you are just keeping it as a pet).

You do have to be careful to make sure you buy from a breeder that has dogs with the right temperament, there are some shelties out there with not great temperaments, outgoing & friendly might not be the breed standard but neither is shy or timid.

How could you say no to something like this? :(

MichaelJonty.jpg

So many breeds could fit.

We found Buster when I was 13, he was meant to be a "family dog" but he and I bonded so strongly so fast mum handed him over to me. I wouldn't have it any other way, I'm 20 now and he's completly changed my life. I am taking him when I move out, we don't manage well being seperated and although I love having him around, I will admit there are some limitations to actually being responsible for something else while your young. I know its going to be harder jsut to find a place to live with a dog.

I love the idea of having him till I'm 30 though, he's been with me through so much, he's my centre and he grounds me.

When I was younger mum paid for all his essentials, as I've got older I've taken on more of his costs. I now pay for most of his food, all his vet bills, tick and flea prevention, toys etc etc.

Edited by busterlove