Please Keep Your Fingers Crossed

SarasMum

Please keep everything crossed for my girlfriends daschund Daphne. She got hold of the kids easter eggs while they were at church this morning and demolished 3 large ones and was eating the 4th.

They had put them up high on the kitchen table but she managed to get up there somehow and eat them.

She is currently at the vet after vomiting.

All paws crossed that she will be ok.

Edited by SarasMum

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sisters pug had her stomach pumped last week, got the dark choc rabbit. Her hubby didnt know / believe that it makes them sick (or worse) and hadnt done anything about it until my sister came home from work :laugh: My hubby has orders to have a 'chat' with him. Little puglet is ok now.

I am keeping everything crossed for Daphne. :laugh:

Our old dog Meg ate the ears of a choc bunny a few years ago and ended up at the vets for 3 days over Easter! She was ok in the end but one sick old girl for a while!

After that event, we have always kept 'lectric soda' in the house to induce vomiting should something like that occur again! And the next year after that, despite warning visitors that no chocolate was to be left out, sure enough she got into it again! So we immediately gave her the soda, up came the chocolate and she was fine! The sooner you can get them to vomit it up the better so at least Daphne was caught in the act!

Sending best wishes for Daphne. Went through this myself Tuesday night with Mokha. He ate at least 600 grams. Luckily we discovered it quickly, took him to the E vet who made him vomit. He was a bit unhappy the next day but made a good recovery. He is about 27kg so not so bad as when a small dog consumes that much. Hoping everything will be ok.

Well Daphne is hanging in there. She has vomited quite a bit and had some fitting last night. This morning she is just feeling very sad and sorry for herself. She will be staying overnight again so they can keep a close eye on her. She is a very very lucky little girl.

Thanks to Dol too. If it wasnt for the doggy knowledge I have learnt over the years from here she would not be alive now. When her Mum messaged me to tell me she had eaten all that chocolate I forwarded a list of symptoms and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs to her. She called the vet immediately and then took her straight in.

Yeah DOL!!

Ps. she is still not out of the woods totally so keep those fingers and paws crossed.

Well Daphne is hanging in there. She has vomited quite a bit and had some fitting last night. This morning she is just feeling very sad and sorry for herself. She will be staying overnight again so they can keep a close eye on her. She is a very very lucky little girl.

Thanks to Dol too. If it wasnt for the doggy knowledge I have learnt over the years from here she would not be alive now. When her Mum messaged me to tell me she had eaten all that chocolate I forwarded a list of symptoms and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs to her. She called the vet immediately and then took her straight in.

Yeah DOL!!

Ps. she is still not out of the woods totally so keep those fingers and paws crossed.

I hope Daphne keeps improving..

I found out this morning one of my girls ate an easter egg yesterday morning.. We are staying with my sister's family and my niece caught her eating it yesterday morning but knowing how I am with the girls and chocolate (I have been telling them all the time to keep it up high away from my girls) she decided not to tell me because I would worry.. :bolt: Thankfully she seems to be fine..

How should the lectric soda be administered? Dosage? Thanks.

Orally. You need to give enough that they start getting ready to vomit before you stop.

When it happened to Meg, We gave her what I thought was a good amount but nothing happened so I called our vet (being in a small country town has some advantages) and he said to just keep shovelling it in til she vomits. Sure enough up every thing came. You will need to IMMEDIATELY clean up the vomit though as the dog will want to re-eat that chocolate so make sure its on concrete and in a well lit area so you can get rid of all of it!

I found out this morning one of my girls ate an easter egg yesterday morning.. We are staying with my sister's family and my niece caught her eating it yesterday morning but knowing how I am with the girls and chocolate (I have been telling them all the time to keep it up high away from my girls) she decided not to tell me because I would worry.. :) Thankfully she seems to be fine..

I would take her to the vet immediately even if she seems ok. We thought the same with our dog...3 days after she ate the chocolate she was one very sick girl! They with do a blood test and may keep her in to moniter her.

How should the lectric soda be administered? Dosage? Thanks.

Orally. You need to give enough that they start getting ready to vomit before you stop.

When it happened to Meg, We gave her what I thought was a good amount but nothing happened so I called our vet (being in a small country town has some advantages) and he said to just keep shovelling it in til she vomits. Sure enough up every thing came. You will need to IMMEDIATELY clean up the vomit though as the dog will want to re-eat that chocolate so make sure its on concrete and in a well lit area so you can get rid of all of it!

Do you just shove the crystals down? Put them in something?

Fingers crossed :rofl:

Mums 11 kg mini schnauzer ate an entire 250g block lastnight. She phoned the emergency vet with instructions to watch him closely. He's somehow fine, thank goodness.

is it possible that some dogs dont have a problem with chocolate?

before i knew any better i had a gsd that ate a 1 kilo block of chocolate with no ill effects so i think very lucky but it confuses me why there were no effects with her but other dogs seem to get very ill

edited to say forgot to say :rofl: for the puppy and i hope it gets better quick smart and is one of the dogs that doesnt get too ill with chocolate!!

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Do you just shove the crystals down? Put them in something?

w

Yep...just shove them down...when the dog starts to heave, stop and get ready to clean up. Its brutal but very effective if you catch the dog in the act of eating the chocolate.

before i knew any better i had a gsd that ate a 1 kilo block of chocolate with no ill effects so i think very lucky but it confuses me why there were no effects with her but other dogs seem to get very ill

edited to say forgot to say :thumbsup: for the puppy and i hope it gets better quick smart and is one of the dogs that doesnt get too ill with chocolate!!

I don't know the entire reason behind it but some dogs seem to be okay and others react to only a slight amount of it.

Zero scarfed down 3/4 of a block one night that my step father left on a table when I was sick and in bed - he was completely fine. Not even an upset stomach (and since he slept on my bed that night, I would have known if he had been having problems!).

That being said, I know a dog who had 2 pieces she stole off one of my friend's children. Moira started fitting and was at the vet for nearly a week (the vomiting caused her to become dehydrated which led to other problems).

Zero weighs in at about 26.5kgs and Moira is only little (an Aussie Terrier) so that probably helped in Zero's case!

edited to say forgot to say :thumbsup: for the puppy and i hope it gets better quick smart and is one of the dogs that doesnt get too ill with chocolate!!

I don't know the entire reason behind it but some dogs seem to be okay and others react to only a slight amount of it.

Zero scarfed down 3/4 of a block one night that my step father left on a table when I was sick and in bed - he was completely fine. Not even an upset stomach (and since he slept on my bed that night, I would have known if he had been having problems!).

That being said, I know a dog who had 2 pieces she stole off one of my friend's children. Moira started fitting and was at the vet for nearly a week (the vomiting caused her to become dehydrated which led to other problems).

Zero weighs in at about 26.5kgs and Moira is only little (an Aussie Terrier) so that probably helped in Zero's case!

wow that is amazing. i wonder if there is some sort of test that can be done to show whether a dog is sensitive to chocolate...i would get the test done on my dog because if they eat chocolate it can be so serious.

I hope Daphne is okay :cry:

Elle seems to be totally immune to the ill effects of chocolate. She has a bad track record with it :) Most recent ones were Xmas when she stole and at 3 entire boxes of Roses chocolates. She was completely fine. The other recent one was when she stole two family sized blocks of DARK lindt chocolate. Ate it all and again was totally fine. She also spent about 10 years of her life eating grapes (frozen) as a regular treat and never suffered from those.

Perhaps she is a super dog? :thumbsup:

ETA I am another fan of Lectric soda crystals. One or two large crystals shoved down the throat is enough to enduce vomitting in just 1-3 minutes for a corgi sized dog. I have used it when Mud has eaten cat poo. It is so much better making him vomit just after he's eaten in than suffering with the aftermath of cat poo poisoning.

Edited by Mim