Fat Labradors: A Thought

sandgrubber

Wow look at all the gorgeous labs in these photo's :) Rubystar that shot of Ruby is stunning :)

It's not only food to keep the weight down but activities to keep them well muscled and mind exercised so they don't think of food all the time and having a day job to keep burning calories helps as well :thumbsup:

DSCF0938Medium.jpg

Pearl has done her ET and we still ride once a week for at least 10 kms but I wouldn't run her on a bike if she was carrying any extra weight and there are so many activities that labs love to do with all this combined and a healthy diet keeps the dogs in great shape ;)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of your lovely lean labs are beautiful!!

Here is the pics of the lab I used to live with, as promised. I thought she was one of the most stunning labs i'd ever seen, and I don't think i've yet to see a lab as thin as her since. Does she look like a field bred lab to you guys? All I know is my old housemate got her from a breeder in..... lismore maybe? somewhere in northern NSW and i'm pretty sure it was a registered breeder or at least a good breeder as she said that the parents and all the pups etc had been hip scored.

Anyway, photos!! I'm sure she's changed a bit since these as she was only about a year old in this pic:

IMG_0116-1.jpg

n732265470_6397748_4657194.jpg

th_MistyGladstone3-10-09BestinGroup.jpg

Seeing as you are all sharing pics of your lovely labs, I thought I would put up one of Misty to see if you think she is lean enough????

I think she is lovely!

Masons photo's didnt get any comments so he obviously didnt crack the nod in the skinny stakes :)

Seeing as you are all sharing pics of your lovely labs, I thought I would put up one of Misty to see if you think she is lean enough????

Misty always reminds me of my Poppy. I think their parents were siblings (Helabar). Whenever I see her stacked I am struck by the likeness of their side profile.

I think she is lovely!

Masons photo's didnt get any comments so he obviously didnt crack the nod in the skinny stakes :thumbsup:

Well you crack me right up MM!!! :)

I think Mason is just perfect and his nature is even better! :)

How old was Ruby when you took that lovely photo Rubystar? She really does look like a stunner there, and but she's no lady when she's charging round the park! ;)

My girl, Trouble, keeps her figure by being the "play mistress" for my foster pups... here are some shots of her with some of the "kids" we've had over the past year...

EOS2009_10_07_pups027.jpg

EOS2009_10_07_pups030.jpg

EOS2009_08_14_Bentley_a023.jpg

EOS2009_07_27_Bindi020.jpg

EOS2009_06_26_JakeDex049.jpg

EOS2009_05_24_lilly038.jpg

EOS2009_05_24_lilly049.jpg

EOS2009_02_28189.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

As you can see, she (and my other girl Zeddy) get plenty of exercise entertaining the young'uns... *grin*

T.

My girl, Trouble, keeps her figure by being the "play mistress" for my foster pups... here are some shots of her with some of the "kids" we've had over the past year...

EOS2009_10_07_pups027.jpg

EOS2009_10_07_pups030.jpg

EOS2009_08_14_Bentley_a023.jpg

EOS2009_07_27_Bindi020.jpg

EOS2009_06_26_JakeDex049.jpg

EOS2009_05_24_lilly038.jpg

EOS2009_05_24_lilly049.jpg

EOS2009_02_28189.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

As you can see, she (and my other girl Zeddy) get plenty of exercise entertaining the young'uns... *grin*

T.

Love the photo where the pup is touching its paw to her face :)

I've posted this pic before but this is what a Labrador Retriever in hard working condition looks like

It's like the Schwarzenegger of Labs! Impressive!

Nope, its a fit dog with no excess body fat. Here's another.

4042021286_749a12e498.jpg

It seems to me that many folk have no idea what a fit labrador looks like. That some of those folk are breeders (as evidenced by some of the dogs I see exhibited) is downright worrying.

When my boy started flyball and I saw the rigours that the sport would place on him I decided to get some weight off him. I didn't consider him fat but thought he "could lose a couple of kilos". He dropped from 37 kg down to 31-32kg over about 6 months. The interesting thing is that he lost several kgs before there was any appreciable effect on his physique. I assume this was from losing visceral fat. In humans it is visceral fat that is the worst for your health so I think that any lab that is carrying appreciable fat on its frame has plenty of internal fat as well that is detrimental to it's health. So even if your lab is not participating in sport being fat is going to be detrimental to its health.

There are several labs in flyball that are carting around way too much weight, I shudder to think how they will be moving in ten years time, luckily they aren't particularly fast so don't hit the box too hard.

This is Ebon now

post-19975-1270467720_thumb.jpg

My other lab Princess who is a flyball beginner and weighs about 24kgs

post-19975-1270467739_thumb.jpg

Your dogs are in great condition! Nice long legs too :laugh:. Where did you get them from?

Truth is that Ebons father is a golden retriever so he has inherited two breeds worth of overwieght issues! I figure the same points are valid for him as for a purebred lab. Very few people pick him as anything other than a lab at first meeting. His long straight thick legs come from his father as does his soft glossy coat. So does his obstinate streak...

Princess is a rescue, I sometimes think there is something else in her as she is so small but my vet thinks she is probably purebred.

Ruby:

2a.jpg

Gorgeous photo!

Interesting to compare Misty to Ruby above. To my untrained eye, Misty has a much broader and deeper chest, bigger thighs and neck. Misty could perhaps be a touch skinnier (?), very hard to tell from a single photo, but then she is also a much more solid girl to begin with so maybe not. Ruby looks a fair bit younger in her photo too which makes a difference.

4042021286_749a12e498.jpg

:laugh::rofl: :rofl:

He is stunning. Does he have quite long legs or does it just look that way because he is lean?

I agree with Mikeilli that while it is true there is a lot of Fat labs around the place there is plenty of other breeds that are just as bad.

It makes me sad that any dog is allowed get overweight as it really affects their energy levels and long term health imo.

The amount of people who think a lab equals fat and cuddly is criminal

Here is a few of my two

Bru(Yellow) who is 20 mths and is about 32kg and Chloe our recent addition who is 23-24kg( she is alot smaller than Bru)

1255.jpg

1217.jpg