A Surprise In My Brother's Border Collie Litter! - Updated

Ashanali

Yup, red is recessive and will "mask" any colour, so without those genes the dog could have been black, chocolate, blue, merle, tri etc.

These are all red BCs just different shades.

post-2139-1270526573_thumb.jpg

Most reds will orange as they age so a light dog may end up much darker at 9 than they were at 4.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid 2009 I bred my blue/white bitch to a black/white dog and got a red white (who has blue pigment).

at birth

IMG_2868.jpg

with his siblings

IMG_2904.jpg

I know a breeder who had bred ber blue bitch to a blue dog, they expected all blue and white, the have one black and white with the rest being blue

Edited by Risyntira

I can see definite shading on his rump and his head. He is not unlike a newborn red/white or buff/white American Cocker puppy in colouration.

Whatever colour he is, he's definitely squishable. ;)

Very pretty.

My bro has read this thread. He now thinks it will be a red and white and he's still keeping him. ;) He's going to send me pedigree details later, apparently there are some Japanese and Aussie dogs in there so the Border People here should know the lines??

DSC_0003.jpg

Leave your desktop screen where it is, and look from the top and bottom of the screen, also the sides, you'll see the colour..

;) Very cute though - he even has a loz spot on his head. :rofl:

ETA: I think he'll be a pale red and white bc.. honey colouring maybe?

honeybc.png

Edited by Bonnie Parker

Very pretty.

My bro has read this thread. He now thinks it will be a red and white and he's still keeping him. :rofl: He's going to send me pedigree details later, apparently there are some Japanese and Aussie dogs in there so the Border People here should know the lines??

Will be very interested to see what Japanese & Aussie dogs are in there... as the boy in my avatar (my Angel dog Kapper :laugh:) is from Japan; he was from Aussie breeding, and he has several descendants in the UK & the US, as well as here in Oz... this bubba might be a 'rellie'! :rofl:

My boy is in that pedigree! :) He is one of the G.G.Grand Sires on the paternal side, Jap Ch Amaranth of Sky Dragon Farm JP CD1 :)

The bitch Borderfame Touch Ofluv was red and white IIRC so it is there...

Now we just need the sire's pedigree!! :laugh:

Edited by ♥♫PD888♫♥

I know a breeder who had bred ber blue bitch to a blue dog, they expected all blue and white, the have one black and white with the rest being blue

How could two blue dogs produce a black pup? Isn't the dilute recessive dd? So if both parents are dd then all the pups would have to be dd. At least, that is how I understand it?

How could two blue dogs produce a black pup? Isn't the dilute recessive dd? So if both parents are dd then all the pups would have to be dd. At least, that is how I understand it?

Yes, I believe so too? :laugh:

Perhaps it was a pup that had slightly irregular dilution. Unfortunately I can't find a photo of a dog for an example. Not sure if it's related to Colour Dilution Alopecia, but sometimes a dilute coloured pup will have slightly irregular patches of darker colour along with the dilution. Not like a merle but like random patches (could be a small patch the size of a peanut, or huge covering most of the dog) of slightly darker colour. Perhaps that was the case and it looked somewhat black rather than blue? :cry:

My boy is in that pedigree! :laugh: He is one of the G.G.Grand Sires on the paternal side, Jap Ch Amaranth of Sky Dragon Farm JP CD1 :)

The bitch Borderfame Touch Ofluv was red and white IIRC so it is there...

Now we just need the sire's pedigree!! :cry:

There we go! :( Awesome. Now to fit the other half of the puzzle together.