A Surprise In My Brother's Border Collie Litter! - Updated

Ashanali

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew a dog once that was such a pale red that you would have thought it was white unless you had it out in full sun where you could *just* see the faintest hints of the red colour. This pup will quite possible be like that.

Guest Clover

;) Gorgeous babies. I just love the second almost all black baby, it will be interesting to see how that one grows up too :thumbsup:.

There is red in that Dam's Pedigree.

post-430-1270608200_thumb.jpg

Excellent :rofl: Now we know where it's come from :) Thank you.

If you can find out the sire's ped name (I can probably fill in the blanks in the pedigree from my end).. I can see what Breedmate says where the red on his side comes from.

Remember too that in the US chocolate is called red as well particularly if it from the ABCA lines.

Cute pups :rofl: It will be interesting to see his colour as he grows.

ETA Highlands Hole in One is pure ISDS lines so no Australin blood. The ee red is almost unknown in the ISDS dogs (one could probably say unknown) so the red listed is porbably chocolate

Highlands.pdf

Edited by Janba

Remember too that in the US chocolate is called red as well particularly if it from the ABCA lines.

ETA Highlands Hole in One is pure ISDS lines so no Australin blood. The ee red is almost unknown in the ISDS dogs (one could probably say unknown) so the red listed is porbably chocolate

Highlands.pdf

Who knows sometimes what those old dogs are too. You are right re ISDS/ABCA lines. Red = Chocolate in many cases.

However there is enough red behind/within the Borderfame/Minimbah stuff in that pedigree for it to carry through to this pup from the dam's side. Will be interesting to see what is hiding behind the sire's side.

Highlands.pdf

Who knows sometimes what those old dogs are too. You are right re ISDS/ABCA lines. Red = Chocolate in many cases.

However there is enough red behind/within the Borderfame/Minimbah stuff in that pedigree for it to carry through to this pup from the dam's side. Will be interesting to see what is hiding behind the sire's side.

I saw thav afterwards :) . It will be interesting to see the sires lines.

The other possibility is a very pale sable or with the lines behind the bitch white factoring.

There was definately colour on the picture of that pup. Faint at this stage, but could definately see a pale red like colour in the coat, typical of a pale red at birth. Not discouting sable with those same lines either :laugh:

Looks like to have a substantial white collar, so white factoring not discounted either.

Excess white.

For Example:

Half white face, body white (other than collar), White up and inside the stifles are examples of white factoring.

ETA:

Of the photos you published: The body splash white on the second pup, on the third pup, it looks like to have a white leg or substantial white on one stifle. Big white collars and a lot of white on the heads of one other.

Edited by Mystiqview

okay, so it just means they have lots of white. Got it. :thumbsup:

Yep, but the breed standards specify that white must not predominate. So anything with less than 50% white is technically correct. There are no specified markings for Border Collies in any standard.

This puppy looks like a pale red to me as well. ee red can vary from palest cream to deep chestnut.

The puppies really need to be registered and the DNA results of the parents confirmed before they are sold. To not do so is just opening yourself up to legal problems if there are any health issues crop up in future. No BC puppy should ever be sold without proof that it is not genetically affected by CL, TNS and CEA. Now that these DNA tests are available buyers are entitled to sue you if you don't make sure that at least one parent is genetically normal for each condition. CL and TNS are 100% fatal so for these two conditions proof is vital. Registration is the legal declaration that these puppies are from these parents.