Pup Returning After 1st Night! Unbelievable.

moosmum

I sent an 11 week old old pup off to her new home last night.4 hour drive here,4 back.

Her new owners were very impressed with her,checked her over for conformation,hips bite etc. and seemed to think they had found a real treasure.

Email later that night to say all well,pup home and very happy to be there,playing and checking every thing out.No dramas but a little car sick.

There had been lots of contact both ways and I stressed this was a working breed pup who had a very confident and dominant nature and would not be easy and not for a novice handler.

Mum and daughter informed me they had 2 GSDs and were welll aware of the work and comittment and prepared to put in the hard yards and take her to obedience from the start as they did every week end for years with the GSDs.Lots of mental sdtimulation provided and pup would be included in the family,indoors as well as out etc.

Got a call 6 am.Owners up all night with an excited puppy who just wanted to play and explore her new home.

Daughter now says she did not think it would be like this and can they bring her back!!!

Another 8 hours journey for them and pup.(this pup should have settled quickly if they had just put her in a safe room,like a laundry etc.She is used to sleeping on her own and rarely makes much fuss over it)

So she is returning,all for the best clearly,but I just find the whole thing so ridiculous!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How disappointing for you and them, although I tend to agree with the previous poster. Maybe they had a big dose of regret and felt that it was the best thing for all involved. Better that the pup be returned rather than be in a home where it is not cared for as it should be.

Hope you find a loving new owner for it soon.

I have had my Pug puppy 9 days, and I have only slept for 5hrs straight on 2 of those nights.....but when I went looking for a pup I knew what I was getting myself in for....obviously these new owners either had forgotten that about puppies or never had puppies so young before. It is an eye opener for any new owner, but I would never return my pup because because of lack of sleep.....however I am now seriously thinking of putting her in bed with me :rofl: just so I can sleep :)

I just don't think the new owners had any idea at all of what was going to happen :shrug: though thats really a no brainer.....I'm just glad the pup is now back with you and at least you can find her a better home with someone who has some knowledge of pups.

BF

It is best for the pup to come back NOW and not be where it isn't wanted.

We rehomed one here after yard check, people check and even checked the peoples dog which is cared for fantastically.

He was returned after 24 hours. He chased their cat up the tree and their dog didn't want to "share".

When he was back with his carer he showed cowering behaviour towards people for a week....so goodness knows what happened in that 24 hours but i am damn glad he is back with us.

You just never can be sure but you hope you can place your dogs in the best homes but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

:shrug: That is just completely ridiculous, the poor pup hasn't even had time to settle into its new home. did you get any bad vibe about these people in the lead up to them taking the pup? I guess not otherwise you would have been reluctant to have them as new owners of your pup.

My boy Bronsons brother went to an older couple and after 3 weeks they rang the breeder and asked if she would take him back (he cried a lot and never settled with them at night) which she was glad to do and rehomed him without a worry, at least they gave it a bit of time.

Some people amaze me!! One night is not long enough for a pup to be settled in a new home what the hell did they expect??

Definatly good you got the pup back now rather than later!!

Sometimes things just go pear shaped even with the best of intentions.

About two years ago I returned a pup after two days. OH and I just had a meltdown of sorts, freaked out and showed up on my breeders doorstep in tears. We had/have the best breeder in the world and admit freely that this debacle was all our doing .

We are incredibly lucky that she is a wonderful and forgiving person who sold us another pup two years later.

In hindsight I can see everything that I did/thought wrong but reality was I was not going to be a good mummy to the pup at that time. I would never have been the mummy I am to Bitty and pup would never have had the upbringing Bitty had so it was just the right thing to do for us at the time.

I am ashamed of it and wished we had handled it better but then I would not have my precious Bitty.

I'll go against the trend and say its unwise to condemn a puppy buyer who contacts a breeder when they've realised they've made a mistake. Isn't that what responsible breeders encourage?

The consequences of doing otherwise aren't great for the pup.

Better this result than any other I can think of.

I know I've had a couple of those "OMG what have I done" moments with mine when they were youngsters :shrug:

Edited by poodlefan

I'll go against the trend and say its unwise to condemn a puppy buyer who contacts a breeder when they've realised they've made a mistake.

The consequences of doing otherwise aren't great for the pup.

Better this result than any other I can think of.

I know I've had a couple of those "OMG what have I done" moments with mine when they were youngsters :p

:rofl: I remember the first full day with my boy Cooper. Unlike any puppy ever before, I was worried. :)

But can laugh it off now. :shrug:

what were they expecting? I have never had a new pup go straight to sleep and be calm and quiet on its first night in a new home.

I did.. he was silent unless he needed to pee! Only took him a week to sleep through or something :shrug:

While to us it's a bit strange, at least they told the breeder straight away.

I think it's kinda great that they were honest enough to admit there was a problem and also that they drove the 8 hours to ensure the puppy made it back to you. It could have been much worse with a puppy in the pound!

Moosemum you obviously made them feel comfortable enough to do this, so hats off to you too!