Dog Eating Chicken Stock?

GABBA

I have been endlessly trying to come up with ways to get my 4 month old dog to eat his dry food. He is more than happy to eat raw chicken (necks, frames, wings, etc), but when it comes to the dry food, hes not so keen. I do however understand that it is important for him to eat this dry mix, as it contains other constituents that may be lacking in the raw meat (I liken it to a kid not wanting to eat their vegetables).

Anyway, typically, while i prepare his meals, i usually leave the raw chicken out for it to thaw (just enough for me to start separating it - too hard while its frozen). While it thaws it sits on top of the dry mix, this in turn gets the juices to melt onto the dry mix, and once its feeding time, he is actually more likely to eat his dry food (after he has eaten the three or so chicken necks/wings).

The problem is however, when i get a chance to start splitting the chicken up (after its thawed) i generally split up enough for a few days, which creates a problem, it eliminates the need for me to thaw any chicken out over the dry food, forcing me to give him three chicken necks/wings with dry food (without anything being thawed over it). Because of this, he very commonly turns his nose up at it.

My suggestion is, would it be safe (in terms of ingredients) to mix some chicken stock with water and spray it lightly over the dry food, just enough to make it appetizing to the dog?

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Thanks.

I often give my dogs chicken stock.

I'll put it in their water prior to freezing for hot days to encourage them to drink..

I put it in their kibble prior to giving it to them to stop them bloating

I have no issues with you using stock.

What dry food are you feeding? Maybe he just doesn't like the taste of it ...

I stopped feeding my boys dry food when we got our 12 month old boy - we went fully over to raw for both dogs shortly after getting the pup - he disliked his dry food and it was upsetting his tummy.

I often used salt reduced chicken stock in their rice or as a filler in their kong toys (frozen).

Edited by Tilly

I have been endlessly trying to come up with ways to get my 4 month old dog to eat his dry food. He is more than happy to eat raw chicken (necks, frames, wings, etc), but when it comes to the dry food, hes not so keen. I do however understand that it is important for him to eat this dry mix, as it contains other constituents that may be lacking in the raw meat (I liken it to a kid not wanting to eat their vegetables).

Anyway, typically, while i prepare his meals, i usually leave the raw chicken out for it to thaw (just enough for me to start separating it - too hard while its frozen). While it thaws it sits on top of the dry mix, this in turn gets the juices to melt onto the dry mix, and once its feeding time, he is actually more likely to eat his dry food (after he has eaten the three or so chicken necks/wings).

The problem is however, when i get a chance to start splitting the chicken up (after its thawed) i generally split up enough for a few days, which creates a problem, it eliminates the need for me to thaw any chicken out over the dry food, forcing me to give him three chicken necks/wings with dry food (without anything being thawed over it). Because of this, he very commonly turns his nose up at it.

My suggestion is, would it be safe (in terms of ingredients) to mix some chicken stock with water and spray it lightly over the dry food, just enough to make it appetizing to the dog?

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Thanks.

Clever boy. I think he's trying to tell you something. You can feed him a balanced raw diet, without having to feed him dry. By the way, you should not be feeding him raw and dry food together in one meal because the rate of digestion is not the same. If you must feed the dry, feed it by itself. DOL has a section about raw feeding, so why don't you read through some of these threads and judge for yourself.

I feed my two youngest on a raw diet, but if I put dried food in front of them I expect them to eat it.

If he doesn't eat his dried food within in ten minutes, pick it up and give him nothing until the next meal.

Yep, salt reduced here too.

Chicken stock ice cubes make a tasty treat in summer too... I fill up an ice cream bucket with it, freeze it overnight then they have a lot of fun licking it on the concrete the next day.

The ice blocks re also great for teething puppies to help soothe their gums.

Clever boy. I think he's trying to tell you something. You can feed him a balanced raw diet, without having to feed him dry. By the way, you should not be feeding him raw and dry food together in one meal because the rate of digestion is not the same. If you must feed the dry, feed it by itself. DOL has a section about raw feeding, so why don't you read through some of these threads and judge for yourself.

Could you please point out some references to support that statement? I would have thought that different raw foods are also digested at different rates. I would be interested in doing some reading on that.

I feed my two youngest on a raw diet, but if I put dried food in front of them I expect them to eat it.

If he doesn't eat his dried food within in ten minutes, pick it up and give him nothing until the next meal.

+1

Could you please point out some references to support that statement? I would have thought that different raw foods are also digested at different rates. I would be interested in doing some reading on that.

I know I have read this many times over the years. I've fed my dogs chicken necks or a wing with dry food forever and never had any problems. I know lots of people who feed the same way.

I was going to ask about what dry you are feeding too. It just may not be very palatable.

hmmm

what dry food are you feeding him?

The only thing with lots of chicken stock is that I would worry about th ehigh level of salt if you do it daily. Salt reduced definately and the natural stuff, with less artificial enhancers in them

Why not make your own chicken stock? Just boil up a chicken carcass or two for a couple of hours until it has reduced a bit, pour into containers and freeze.

If you're going to feed stock, do this. It is very easy and cheap. Commercial stock is full of crap (many still contain MSG and chemicals that are very similar to it).

Why not make your own chicken stock? Just boil up a chicken carcass or two for a couple of hours until it has reduced a bit, pour into containers and freeze.

If you're going to feed stock, do this. It is very easy and cheap. Commercial stock is full of crap (many still contain MSG and chemicals that are very similar to it).

so thats why it is so yummy!!!!

so thats why it is so yummy!!!!

Yukk, no! :):laugh:

I make my own chicken stock for the dogs. Simmer a whole chicken for a couple of hours, take out the chicken and let the stock stand in the frig overnight. I then strain it through muslin to get the fat out. It it VERY fatty. I then use it cook vegetables, rice, pasta, moisten the raw, etc etc.

And of the course the chicken is shredded and mixed with rice and pureed vegetables. Disappears in seconds flat.

Why give the dogs something they don't like?

If you want them to have biscuits regularly, find a brand they like.

Hello, apologies for the delay in reply, nevertheless I do appreciate your feedback, all opinions have been noted. Firstly, with regards to what I feed my dog, I am currently giving him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Mix, he doesnt seem overly keen on this (thats why i want to use some chicken stock). The reason however, that I am hesitant of switching is:

1. I know that while this Eukanuba may not be exactly what he likes, it is good for him.

2. I am not aware of the other 'good' products on the market. There are literally hundreds of products, and as soon as i hear that a particular one is good from one person, another tells me its no good. If someone can suggest any good alternatives, it would be appreciated (fyi; I am most likely going to try the Royal Canin next, see if he takes to that)

Secondly, to clear things up, I do not intend to soak the Eukanuba in the chicken stock (I have also heard this removes any nutrients the dry mix has), but simply spray a mist over it, to give it a taste (no idea if that will actually work though).

Originally, I was mainly concerned that the chicken stock would contain things that arnt the best for dogs, thats why I ran it by the forum first.

Just watch. Some of those chicken stocks contain onion. (and heaps of salt).

A half a teaspoon of vegemite dissolved in water. Vegemite is also high in salt, so you will need to watch how much you give.

A dessert spoon of gravy style tinned food, mixed through the kibble. (I don't normally subscribe to tinned food, but will resort to it, if they are not eating)

Try soaking the kibble in water to soften it a bit. Then mix lactose free/goats milk or something through it.

Ideally though, you really want them to eat the dry food if that is what you are feeding. By doing anything like has been suggested, you can only further make the problem worse and create a bad fussy eater.

A dog will not starve themselves. One method they say to try is (Based on one cup of food - if you feed more follow same principle)

Do not wash bowls for this exercise!!

Day one:

One cup of food

If dog does not eat. Take up food. Do not wash bowl.

Day Two:

1/2 Cup of food

If dog does not eat. Take up food

Day Three:

1/4 cup of food

If dog does not eat. Take up food.

Day four:

Empty bowl.

Idea behind this: Hopefully dog thinks another has eaten the food. The trick is, to not feel sorry for the dog and treat it with other things.

Also look at brand/kibble size. I have one bitch here who does not like the large kibble of normal adult. (I feed Advance). So for her, she gets small breed Advance. Because I give her small kibble, I need to increase the chew things to clean teeth.

That is such a fallacy. :laugh:

I would never use stock purchased from s supermarket for my dogs. It is filled with salt, even the low salt versions are. Make your own. Boil up some of those chicken piece and even some veges, pour the fluid off and freeze it in small containers to use when needed.