Confused - Friend Wants To Stay With Toddler

Eileen

And I have nowhere for them to sleep but on the lounge room floor. I also have a very boisterous, super affectionate 3 yo SBT. Now my friend told me her 16 month old is very shy of dogs, so I was a bit taken aback she wants to stay, as our only spare room is now our baby's room. My sister and mum sleep on the lounge room floor when they visit, and Dolly (dog) is very used to hopping in bed with them for a snuggle and cuddle, and shoves her muzzle into their face in the morning to wake them up.

I am just wondering, is this one of those situations? That Dolly will come into the lounge room at night, the toddler will freak out and scream, and Dolly might snap at her? Not that Dolly has ever, ever, ever shown aggression to any person or animal in her life, as she is so gentle it's not funny.

But I don't want to be that dumb person who says "my dog has never done anything like this before" as her dog is put down for snapping at a toddler's face.

Any advice welcome :mad

As I see it you have two options:

* Tell your friend you're not comfortable with a shy toddler around a boistrous dog and say no to them staying.

* Crate your dog at all times when not under your direct supervision for the duration of their stay. Sleep her in your room in a crate or with the door shut.

Which way you go would probably depend on how much you like the person and how long they plan to stay. No way would I leave Dolly loose at night in these circumstances.

Edited by poodlefan

If the dog is used to greeting people happily in beds on the floor, then this situation could be a problem. If the toddler screams it may frighten the dog away, but it also may excite the dog to a state where it may jump or mouth the child. I would say unlikely to provoke an attack, but certainly likely to result in unpleasant consequences.

Why can't the toddler sleep in the baby's room with the door shut?

I wouldnt have someone stay with a toddler scared of dogs

I guess what you need to decide is it isnt just the sleeping issue is the day time aswell.

You now what your dog is used too & how much you would need to change the routine around having a toddler there.

* Tell your friend you're not comfortable with a shy toddler around a boistrous dog and say no to them staying.

Have to say that I agree with this. If this person is a true friend she would realise the invidious situation she is putting you in and elect to stay in a motel.

Not dog related, but just to show that I understand that it is can be difficult to tell people they can't stay with you. Years ago, I had to tell my elderly father that he could no longer stay with me (he was in another State) when he visited Sydney as he was too shaky to be left alone all day while I was at work; he had fallen a couple of times at the home he lived in in Brisbane. :mad :D

I wouldnt have someone stay with a toddler scared of dogs

I guess what you need to decide is it isnt just the sleeping issue is the day time aswell.

You now what your dog is used too & how much you would need to change the routine around having a toddler there.

I agree with both Showdog's posts. Absolutely.

Me too. It would be a 24 hour a day watching brief. Virtually impossible.

We once put the family dog in kennels for 4 nights so my aunt and uncle could stay. The dog got kennel cough and nearly died but he didn't like strangers and my aunt and uncle hate all animals but esp dogs and cats (yes, hard to understand how we are related and their two sons aren't like it).

I'll never do it again - my dogs come first and are my family. If the living arrangements aren't suitable then people can't come and stay!

Edited by dogmad

Thanks guys, you've all just confirmed what I suspected :mad

Kendall, my baby is 5 months old, I guess she could sleep in our room, but I wouldn't really like it as we would need to borrow a travel cot, and Dolly sleeps in our room. Not sure I am ready to have them both sleep in a room together, especially out of the blue like this with people in the lounge room too. Too much of a change, I think.

I'll tell my friend she ought to stay somewhere else.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks guys, you've all just confirmed what I suspected :mad

Kendall, my baby is 5 months old, I guess she could sleep in our room, but I wouldn't really like it as we would need to borrow a travel cot, and Dolly sleeps in our room. Not sure I am ready to have them both sleep in a room together, especially out of the blue like this with people in the lounge room too. Too much of a change, I think.

I'll tell my friend she ought to stay somewhere else.

Thanks everyone.

Express it in terms of concern for her toddler's safety and it may go down a little more smoothly.

I don't think you will have a good time with your friend if she stays with you... you will be on eggshells the whole time and if it was me Id resent having to crate my dog for days so someone can sleep over. And if your friends little girl is scared of your dog and squeeling ect Im fairly sure your 5month old baby will react to that too.

I think in this case trying to keep your friend happy will lead to misery.

You could have really fun days together and both enjoy the visit if she simply sleeps at a close by motel. You could even escape to the motel occasionally too :thumbsup:

Im very much of the opinion Love me love my Dogs, this is their home :D

I don't think you will have a good time with your friend if she stays with you... you will be on eggshells the whole time and if it was me Id resent having to crate my dog for days so someone can sleep over. And if your friends little girl is scared of your dog and squeeling ect Im fairly sure your 5month old baby will react to that too.

I think in this case trying to keep your friend happy will lead to misery.

You could have really fun days together and both enjoy the visit if she simply sleeps at a close by motel. You could even escape to the motel occasionally too :thumbsup:

Im very much of the opinion Love me love my Dogs, this is their home :D

It isn't just the sleeping arrangements, it the whole time as you say Caz. Just not something I would risk for everyone's sake and safety.

Has she just invited herself with her toddler? Bit rich really if you don't have a spare room anymore and you have a Dog, especially if her Toddler is scared of Dogs (not that I'd recommend leaving a Dog around a Toddler anyway...).

I am in agreement with the others, I'd be suggesting she stay in a Motel. It is too much upheaval for you to move your Daughter or the Dog. If you don't have the room, you don't have the room. Period!

Good luck with it....it's awful to be in these situations, isn't it?

Susan