Silly Woman

Andisa

I was driving through the Bunnings car park in Dandenong this morning, a very well dressed older woman (but not elderly) was walking her little Chiuahuha. Her dog was on one one side and a shopping cart on the other. It looked like the dog was on lead as she had it dangling in her hand - it wasn't until I was closer I could see properly. The dog seemed pretty nervous as my car was coming near (only a few meters away) as I got closer it darted towards the wheels. I was only crawling along as I had a feeling the lead didn't look like it was actually connected and it wasn't.

As I stopped - which made the other cars stop too - she quickly grabbed the little dog and in the middle of the traffic she decided then it was a good idea to clip it on to the lead. She looked as stupid as she must have felt - no idea why the dog wasn't on lead - she had the lead in her hand and from a distance it looked like it was in use.

She gave me a funny smile and waved thanks - I wasn't going fast - only crawling along because I wasn't sure about the dog but that poor little dog could have easily been under the wheels of my car or the car behind me. It was obvious that the dog was nervous around the cars so why he heck was it not attached to the lead that she had in her hand.

When will people learn it is just not worth risking their dogs life - it was in a car park for goodness sakes - this Bunnings store in on the Princess Hwy....

*rant over....

I was driving through the Bunnings car park in Dandenong this morning, a very well dressed older woman (but not elderly) was walking her little Chiuahuha. Her dog was on one one side and a shopping cart on the other. It looked like the dog was on lead as she had it dangling in her hand - it wasn't until I was closer I could see properly. The dog seemed pretty nervous as my car was coming near (only a few meters away) as I got closer it darted towards the wheels. I was only crawling along as I had a feeling the lead didn't look like it was actually connected and it wasn't.

As I stopped - which made the other cars stop too - she quickly grabbed the little dog and in the middle of the traffic she decided then it was a good idea to clip it on to the lead. She looked as stupid as she must have felt - no idea why the dog wasn't on lead - she had the lead in her hand and from a distance it looked like it was in use.

She gave me a funny smile and waved thanks - I wasn't going fast - only crawling along because I wasn't sure about the dog but that poor little dog could have easily been under the wheels of my car or the car behind me. It was obvious that the dog was nervous around the cars so why he heck was it not attached to the lead that she had in her hand.

When will people learn it is just not worth risking their dogs life - it was in a car park for goodness sakes - this Bunnings store in on the Princess Hwy....

*rant over....

Don't start me. My other passion is racing cars. I was out doing it on the weekend. We've always been able to take our dogs and camp at the track.....until now.

Saturday morning some IDIOT decided to let their little dog wander around the pit area without a lead on. FFS it is a RACE CAR PIT AREA, what sort of fool allows their dog to walk around an area where cars with limited vision are being driven.

Anyway, because they now have an official complain no dogs are allowed at the track at all. We now have to find an alternative to taking the puppies - either adding $100 to the weekend for Kennel fees, along with the associated inconvenience or we have to inconvenience a friend (or two).

Some people just don't get it and never will.

Thank goodness you managed to stop, I cant believe people do this but I seem to be seeing it more and more these days with people walking along busy roads or through shopping centre car park dogs off lead. I am just glad for your sake that you did not hit the dog it is a horrible feeling. 1 week after getting my licence,many many years ago a poodle ran under the wheels of my car, I did not see it but felt it, horrible horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, pulled up poor little thing had broken leg and its owners were idiots.Could not understand why I was so upset at them for putting me in that situation.All I could do was cry.

I agree that she would have to be a total nut case to expose her dog to those risks, totally irresponsible. There are positives 1. Dog survived situation 2. Owner at least had a lead and eventually used it, 3. Owner apparantly didn't give you a string of expletives as many off leashers do when they are startled or embarrassed in what is clearly an on leash situation. NB: I don't know if Bunnings is legally on or off leash, but the situation itself, dog near cars wheels called for a lead.

I can't believe people :thumbsup::

I'm glad the situation turned out alright, you stopped and the lady put the dog on lead, eventually.

I always say, I do not care if you have a perfectly trainer obedience dog, all it takes is 1 second, 1 tiny mistake, and your dog could be dead.

There really isn't any explanation anyone could give to justify this. Poor dog is all I can say - what chance does the poor thing have with an owner like that.........glad you had the foresight to be wary about the situation, well done.

While I was in Shepparton in Vic a couple of months ago I pulled out of Harvey Norman onto a very busy Melbourne Road I stopped in the middle of the two lanes waiting for the traffic cleared when I saw a man going for a jog with two mini dachies running off lead behind him then I couldn't believe it he crossed the road, not picking up the little ones or waiting till the traffic cleared.

One of the little guys got nicked by a car and ran under mine. I got out and to find the man trying to get him from under my car but he refused to come to him. I got on the ground with a blanket from the back of my car to try to get him and he came straight to me. I said to the guy why didn't you pick them up or have them on a lead and his response was "they are use to the traffic and usually keep up with me" I offered to drive him to the vets which was a couple of blocks away. He refused saying it's only a nick his leg doesn't look like it's broken. I felt like pushing him out into the traffic to see how much it would hurt. I told him that I could call the vets to have someone ready to see the little fella, he finally agreed to go to the vets.

Honestly some people should not have dogs. I left him my phone number and asked if he could call me and let me know if the boy was ok but I never heard anything more.

*rant over....

Plenty of people do this and also watch the ones that let their kids run about near cars too, just as dangerous, and they don't seem to learn either.

:thumbsup:

It's sad when driving a car that you have to not only anticipate the actions of other drivers but also everyone around that could cause an accident.

Many years ago when I was living in Shepparton - I had my daughter and 2 small nieces with me, mum and sisters and more small kids were in 2 other cars all travelling together. They were ahead of me on a busy road.

Out of no where a small Jack Russel ran out on the road and I had no where to go. I will never forget that horrible feeling which is why I am so careful when driving and I see dogs (on lead or not I still look).

The owners kids had gone over the road to play cricket and the dog followed them - owner was calling the dog back - why - cause he was a dick...

By the time I saw the dog it was too late - I hit him, I found a spot to pull over and went back to see if he needed to go to the vet. Poor little bugger didn't look good and died soon after. Mum and my sister came back to see what was going on - more concerned that the owner would blame me - he knew he was in the wrong and accepted that - about then I blasted at him - why did you call the dog over the road - what was I supposed to do...I was very shaken and upset - went over it several times in my head. Had I swerved or stopped sooner I would have caused a bigger accident - there were cars everywhere.

People have to accept responsibility for their stupidity - dog pays the highest price often with their lives but the poor bugger who hits the dogs in their cars have little time to avoid it and it does affect you - that feeling will stay with me forever.

People have to accept responsibility for their stupidity - dog pays the highest price often with their lives but the poor bugger who hits the dogs in their cars have little time to avoid it and it does affect you - that feeling will stay with me forever.

Well said!

Could it have been that the lady thought the lead was attached? On the odd occasion, a lead snap hook can accidentally come away. I've had it happen to me, although it wasn't long before I realised this was the case. Reading your OP, I get an image in my head that might suggest the lady wasn't aware and felt silly for this fact alone. Maybe???

Edited by Erny

"With age comes wisdom"....but not for everyone!

I learned this the hard way when I was 16 years old.

I had gone for a walk with my dog and two sisters, aged 3 and 11 and as usual we stopped at a park to play.

Scenario... dog (Min. poodle) off lead, kids on play equipment, me looking after everyone. :) First big mistake....can't watch everyone. Now this poodle (who was two years old at the time) was a VERY obedient and smart boy and always was close by my and my sisters side, but that day something got his attention and he took off heading towards a not very busy road in a quiet street. My 3 yo old sister ran after the dog and naturally I called her and ran after her. By the time other sister caught up with us to take little ones hand from me the dog had run across the road and was hit by a car. It only takes one. ALL MY MINE MY STUPID FAULT.

Long story short....fortunately for me I was working so had the means to pay for very expensive vet bills, which my father would never have paid for (he would have put the dog down and THAT was the vets recommendation too. :thumbsup:

But I asked "isn't there ANYTHING you can do for him?" To which the Vet replies "I can try to wire the hip joint but it will involve costly surgery. "DO IT", was my response. So my boss gives me a months advance on my pay (a really nice man).

A few months after the surgery the dog wasn't using the leg but carrying it. The muscle was beginning to waste and it looked like an amputation may be necessary. :thumbsup: The hip joint had calcified enough to try surgery as the Vet believed it was the wire that was irritating the bone and that he should now remove it. More $$$ bills for minimum wage earner me.

But sucess! :wave: He started using the leg within 24 hours of surgery and it became strong and healthy again. He lived to 17 years of age.

So I learnt....the hard way. Pity, but it seems to often be the only way people do learn.

No - she had to know the lead was not attached - she was holding her hand out so I could see it was not attached to the dog sort of pointing in the direction she wanted to dog to go - she must have known.

I am "guessing" she knew too by the way she was watching the dog - almost expecting him to dart towards the car - it was more her reaction that caught my eye to make sure I could stop as soon as possible which was why I was crawling along.

I used to have a 3.5 kg Maltese and it was a habit to check that he was still there because he weighed so little it often felt like I had a lead and no dog.