Should I Put This Puppy Down?

Roxanne

I purchased a puppy sight unseen from a breeder, yes silly I know, and picked him up from the airport on Friday. As soon as I saw him I knew there was a problem.

I took him to the vet this morning and she said he should be put down as he will more than likely develop arthritis before the age of two and his quality of life will be very poor. He obviously has a calcium or heredity defiecency. The joints in his legs are huge and his lower legs bend backwards :laugh: His rather big feet flop out in front of him when he walks, etc.

The vet sold me calcium tablets and advised that he should have a high calcium diet with very little excerise except swimming.

She wants me to take him back to her in two weeks for review and her parting words were "don't get too attached to him".

Can anyone offer any advice? Naturally, I don't want to put down a darling little puppy. So heart-breaking especially since I just put down my old dog.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What breed is this pup and is it possible to post a picture showing his legs? Have you spoken to the breeder about this? If so...what did they say/recommend? With the extra info people might be able to give a more informed opinion is all.

I assume the vet thinks there is hope else they would have asked you to make the decision within a few days rather then trial a high calcium diet for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully a few people from the Rescue Forum will have a look here and post an opinion, many of them have come across a variety of issues along the lines of this one and may be able to offer some information from their experiances.

Kit

So sorry to hear that Roxanne :laugh:

Obviously it's really hard to offer advice without seeing your pup, but have you approached the breeder regarding the situation? Surely they must have noticed something about this puppy prior to selling it to you. If I was in your shoes, I would want to know what they have to say for themselves.

Did the breeders provide any sort of health guarantee?

:laugh: DONT TOUCH THE CALCIUM YET! Please contact the breeder, as many vets are not aware of some growth issues, is this a giant breed? please, talk to your breeder, and get a 2nd opinion before you pump the calcium in. most of us giant breed folk have seen the disasters that exess calcium supplements can cause.

fifi

Thanks Kit. Will get the pics asap. The pup is a cattle dog.

I have a feeling the vet was just trying, maybe in vain, to do something for the pup, to give it some chance, I suppose. She was very negative about it all. I have dealt with this vet for many years and normally she is so positive about things, but not this time :laugh:. She was VERY surprised that a breeder of 20 years would sell a pup with such as obvious problem.

The breeder said the pup was okay when he had it checked at 8 weeks by his vet. He offer me another pup as replacement. However, I declined.

Roxanne

Ok, i would agree and say hold off on the calcium for a little bit. Is it possible to get in contact with the breeder's vet? And the pup is how old now? It may well be worth getting a second opinion, just in that this pup's case might be a little out of the usual.

It is a terrible decision to have to make, but with more information would should be able to make a more informed decision on what is best for your puppy.

If agree with Fifi

Don't pump the calcium into this dog. If this is a large breed change the dog's diet to a Large Breed Growth food such as Eukanuba. It's not the amount of calcium you put into the dog it's the balance between calcium:phosphorous that's important. Not for amateurs to calculate - Growth formulas have been prepared for this

Roxanne,

you say you declined to return the pup. Your choice of course but if you are forced to pay many vet bills and then ultimately lose thr pup anyway are you going to expect the breeder to foot the bills and/or then replace the pup? Without meaning to sound harsh but would it not be better to return the pup to the breeder? It sounds like the breeder is attempting to assist by offering to take the pup back.

Edited by BDA

If the puppy has to be PTS anyway - why subject it to more stress with another move, another flight and another home (even though it is the old home).

It is not like you can postpak it back?

Wouldn't it be better to let the puppy go as peacefully as possible.

But I agree with getting a second opinion - there maybe something else that can be done.

Thanks CI for the advice.

The breeder did not offer to take the pup back. Also, I had the dog flown in and am not willing to get another dog from him. I can't get up to see them and I wouldn't have bought this pup in the first place if I saw in the flesh.

Here are the pics. The pup is 12 kg at 12 weeks.

Roxanne

post-22-1105329181.jpg

Is it just the joint in the front leg or all his joints that are enlarged?

I wouldn't be giving the pup any calcium until you have got a second opinion, and I would be going to somebody like an orthopedic vet or another vet who has a lot of experience in this area.

Also maybe contact other breeders in your area who have the same breed, maybe able to help you as well?

Is it possible to get a photo of this pup?

Oh I have just seen the photo.

Is the pup overweight?

I have had a pup who had huge joints on his front legs and was very down on his pasterns and his feet turned out badly and they were what I call flip floppy, took him to one of my vets and he said not to give him calcium ( as in his experience added calcium didnt help and can actually do more harm ) , that this was something seen in large breeds, even though this pup was not a large breed, it was simply the pup growing way too fast. He told me to give him until he was 6 months old and in most cases it rights itself, and not to limit the exercise either, but of course be careful, I can't remember but he said something about the tendons in his feet as well.

This pup's feet pasterns etc have come right but he still has quite big knuckle joints still, but the vet is not worried at all.

Another pic of the pup.

I don't believe he is overweight, just a very large dog for his breed. He seems in proportion. The breeder told me he only fed the pup raw meat after weaning. He lived with his mother in her whelping cage 10 x 5 until I bought him.

post-22-1105330203.jpg

In pic number two, I have him sitted on my lap and his leg are stretched out in front.

No I didn't get a pic of him first. Really was "sight unseen".

Breeder didn't want him back because the pup was more than likely going to be put down.

he only fed the pup raw meat after weaning
Ok, well that's not a good diet for a young pup to start with. For the moment i would look at putting the pup on a good quality puppy food with chicken necks and a little puppy milk after supper. You might already have him on a diet much like this. He may indeed have a calium deficiency but i would stick to the safer side of not giving the tablets until you get a second vets opinion.

Also follow Brigantia's advice about going to see a second vet who might be a bit more familier with the problem.

It also sounds like the pup wasn't getting enough exercise either which will not be helping as his muscle tone could be fairly slack.

I think Dru has seen this problem once or twice, i think information was noted in the rescue forum under.....Hero and Hogan? i think they were the two dog's names?