Rspca Shelters In Uk To Turn Away Unwanted Pets And Strays

gillbear

It's easy to bag the RSPCA. Personally, I don't like the R part. But we need organisations to protect animals from cruelty. The RSPCA is part of the fabric of a web of organisations that protect animals. Dogs are not the single focus of the RSPCA. Personally, I think their efforts to eliminate factory farming, particularly of pigs, are more important than anything they do with dogs and some of their dog stuff is misguided from my perspective. On thewhole, I think the RSPCA does more good than harm, and I'm happy to donate stuff to them for their thrift stores and support them in passive ways. Not my 'charity of choice'. I won't put them in my will. But I can't see the point of trying to kick them where it hurts . . . especially on DOL, a podium that means few people other than the pedigree dog choir is listening.

True enough - preventing cruelty to all animals is an important role. The problem is when they promote themselves as an animal refuge to people who want to adopt pets or see poor abused dogs "saved" when in reality they do very little towards this goal. They use their television show to heavily promote themselves as a model example of a dog and cat rescue organisation when they are far from being that and ask for donations at the end of every show on that basis.

If they dropped all pretence at being a dog and cat refuge, stopped being the local councils pound, stopped spending so much on uneccessary admin expenses and simply focussed on prevention of cruelty towards eg farm animals (and promoted themselves as such) that would be a different matter. Let the people who are doing a great job rescuing, fostering, rehabilitating and rehoming dogs (in particular) get the funding and donations for that purpose instead of taking it all for themselves while doing, in many states, very little real good for domestic animal welfare.

Meanwhile, I will continue to financially support proper dog rescue organisations as well as animal protection societies such as WWF etc. The RSPCA - who once were the organisation I would donate to the most - now gets nothing from me (for reasons previously explained).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the SPCA has become too successful for its own good. By that I mean they have gone down the track of building huge, expansive glass towers to take in unwanted animals and now people think the SPCA is the place to take their mistakes. Gone are the ideas of being an organisation that deals with animal welfare. They are now in the business of animal trading.

I always thought instead of being the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, they should be working at the top. Stop building larger shelters and instead spend that money offering free desexing in every town in what ever nation they appear in.

The money saved on housing, maintenance, feeding, staffing, vetting, destroying etc hundreds of unwanted animals would desex a good number of pets. Over a period of time, the number of abandoned animals will decrease.

The angst felt about the RSPCA you'll note comes primarily from purebred dog breeders. I personally don't think all of it is fair, justified or even factual for that matter and I feel some of it borders on hysteria at best, however it is true that the RSPCA has not been a friend to registered breeders all the time.

What I think needs to be pointed out is that the opinions expressed on DOL are often very limited in their focus. DOL members are probably only account for less than 0.005 of the Australian dog owning population, and registered breeders are only about 1%, so this should be kept in perspective.

Don't take it to heart Chocolatelover, each to their own. The RSPCA is not about to come tumbling down becuase a minority hate them, although it certainly might help the RSPCA pick their socks up on their failings and become more accountable and it is the accountability issue which I think is the biggest issue.

I feel the organisation has its faults, but it also has its many merits.

Yes the accountability IS a major part of why people have problems with the RSPCA!

And also, don't be too sure about this "minority" or only "pure bred dog-breeders" suggestions. People in Tassie anyway have a very negative view of the RSPCA for a number of reasons. The only people who might think they're a good thing are city dwellers who see them as saving dogs from miserable lives and finding them lovely new homes (but that story has become very thin in Tassie lately).

I live in a rural area of Tassie and most people in my town despise the Tassie RSPCA for many reasons, particularly their policing role re farming and domestic animals (they are regarded in much the same way as parents view "welfare") and the fact that they have taken the role of the local councils pound. But significantly, people in the country areas are far more cynical about them and just assume most dogs don't survive the RSPCA's "assessment' and will be pts if found or handed in to them.

Recently someone in town decided to "get rid of" their dog because he killed livestock (accidentally and only once I should add). THe dog is a friendly boofer who just got over-excited. Anyway, they were discussing taking the dog to the RSPCA and before I could say a thing several other people there said "don't take him to the RSPCA because they will put him to sleep". It was generally agreed he'd be better off with the Tassie Dogs Home who are run by the Tasmanian Canine Defence League.

Of course the recent scandals that have been all over the news about how people's donations were being misused hasn't helped the RSPCA either.

Unfortunately the SPCA has become too successful for its own good. By that I mean they have gone down the track of building huge, expansive glass towers to take in unwanted animals and now people think the SPCA is the place to take their mistakes. Gone are the ideas of being an organisation that deals with animal welfare. They are now in the business of animal trading.

I always thought instead of being the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, they should be working at the top. Stop building larger shelters and instead spend that money offering free desexing in every town in what ever nation they appear in.

The money saved on housing, maintenance, feeding, staffing, vetting, destroying etc hundreds of unwanted animals would desex a good number of pets. Over a period of time, the number of abandoned animals will decrease.

Sue, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

You can bet that the amount of money spent at the admin level in the glass towers would buy many mobile vet clinics and pay the wages of the vets and nurses needed in those clinics, and still pay people to run the place. Desexing must be the main priority, but also to teach people HOW to better care for their animals.

Get to the heart of the problem and reduce the number of unwanted dogs and cats, by making desexing available for all.

Gosh, its not rocket science.

And the same time they can indulge in their favourite pastime, MEDIA ...... they can have the cameras rolling in the clinics and have "All Creatures Great & Small" painted on the outside too. Park a coffee van on one side and an ice-cream van on the other, and they have got the public there.

Souff

Fine to believe what you believe - everyone has that right. I am not in agreement with everything the RSPCA as an organisation does and says. But to make a mockery of the many decent people that work for the organisation and to imply that they in some way enjoy euthanasing the animals is wrong on so many levels.

Every thread seems to end up with rants about the RSPCA. One person suggests she will warn people off them until they stop putting animals to sleep. I have absolutely no idea how they will stop PTS if no one rescues from there :provoke:

Fifi if you could let me know where I could read the many stories about how wonderful, ethical breeders have been victimised I would appreciate this. Obviously I am missing something here?????????

The angst felt about the RSPCA you'll note comes primarily from purebred dog breeders. I personally don't think all of it is fair, justified or even factual for that matter and I feel some of it borders on hysteria at best, however it is true that the RSPCA has not been a friend to registered breeders all the time.

Historically, the tail docking debate seems to be when the support of the orgnisation began to wane for breeders as they didn't want to be told they could not dock. On DOL, many have personal feelings, such as those expressed by SBT above, due to the case against another DOLer.

What I think needs to be pointed out is that the opinions expressed on DOL are often very limited in their focus. DOL members are probably only account for less than 0.005 of the Australian dog owning population, and registered breeders are only about 1%, so this should be kept in perspective.

Don't take it to heart Chocolatelover, each to their own. The RSPCA is not about to come tumbling down becuase a minority hate them, although it certainly might help the RSPCA pick their socks up on their failings and become more accountable and it is the accountability issue which I think is the biggest issue.

I wouldn't go with that. Perhaps on this forum you get to see what dog people think about the RSPCA but there are a hell of a lot of people across the board who are pretty ticked off by their methods and the twighlight zone they seemed to have entered into.

I don't know a single farmer who thinks they are doing the right thing, I don't know a single horse person who has any time for them either. Take a better look at the comments that have been made in this thread - how many are in fact registered breeders who have said they are against their practices?

Ive no idea if Ruth Downey owned a dog let alone bred one - her problem was around them shooting her cattle and people across the country considered what happened there disgraceful.

Ive no doubt if you duck into a jockey's forum or speak to people about a jockey in the Melbourne cup being in the poo because he raised a whip in excitement the whole world had something to say!

Many people who have something to say in this thread have witnessed first hand what happened to a Rescue person who had never bred a dog in her life. Ive no doubt non regsitered mongrel dog breeders are just as affected as any purebred breeder its just that here the purebred breeder is more obvious.

Fine to believe what you believe - everyone has that right. I am not in agreement with everything the RSPCA as an organisation does and says. But to make a mockery of the many decent people that work for the organisation and to imply that they in some way enjoy euthanasing the animals is wrong on so many levels.

Every thread seems to end up with rants about the RSPCA. One person suggests she will warn people off them until they stop putting animals to sleep. I have absolutely no idea how they will stop PTS if no one rescues from there :provoke:

Fifi if you could let me know where I could read the many stories about how wonderful, ethical breeders have been victimised I would appreciate this. Obviously I am missing something here?????????

Historically, the tail docking debate seems to be when the support of the orgnisation began to wane for breeders as they didn't want to be told they could not dock. On DOL, many have personal feelings, such as those expressed by SBT above, due to the case against another DOLer.

I wouldn't go with that. Perhaps on this forum you get to see what dog people think about the RSPCA but there are a hell of a lot of people across the board who are pretty ticked off by their methods and the twighlight zone they seemed to have entered into.

I don't know a single farmer who thinks they are doing the right thing, I don't know a single horse person who has any time for them either. Take a better look at the comments that have been made in this thread - how many are in fact registered breeders who have said they are against their practices?

Ive no idea if Ruth Downey owned a dog let alone bred one - her problem was around them shooting her cattle and people across the country considered what happened there disgraceful.

Ive no doubt if you duck into a jockey's forum or speak to people about a jockey in the Melbourne cup being in the poo because he raised a whip in excitement the whole world had something to say!

Many people who have something to say in this thread have witnessed first hand what happened to a Rescue person who had never bred a dog in her life. Ive no doubt non regsitered mongrel dog breeders are just as affected as any purebred breeder its just that here the purebred breeder is more obvious.

Show me evidence of support being lost that makes any real difference. If you look at their annual reports, the RSPCA aren't losing members. They aren't losing donations (you'll note there was a decline in the last 18 months but that would be attributable to the GEC).

I can personalise my rationale too and say that the greater majority of people that I know support the RSPCA. The people you know don't. :laugh: So, who wins? :(

I can say though, that the ONLY place I have ever heard or seen the hate campaigns against the RSPCA have been via my connections with Breeders and on DOL. In having said that, I don't mix with horse people or farmers.

I am sure there are many people who are justified in their frustrations with the RSPCA; farmers, pet owners and even puppy farmers!

I have heard a lot of DOLers who find the attacks (which, at times, are very loosely based on fact) offputting. I have heard them verbalise breeders in a negative way when talkling about it. Given that we want to encourgae people to return to the purebred dog, is it such a fabulous PR campaign breeders are waging here? Just a thought.

Edited by ~Anne~

but it can hardly be disputed that the majority of animals that go through those doors do not walk out the other door with a brand new owner.

If you have other evidence to show that that is not the case, please post it.

Souff

The part of Souffs quote above is the crucial point for me.

The way they are run, their temp testing & staff & volunteers having to sign confidentially agreements does not make me think that resources are put where needed.

Silly public thinks most DO walk out with a new owner. Euthanasia rate is appalling.

Maybe the unwanted & neglected animals would be better with private rescue & that will leave them free to deal with the extreme cruelty part for all animals.

The others have more chance of life without them.

I don't think the majority of people regardless of what group they fall into get anywhere near considering a PR campaign - its about a perception of injustice -

whether that is real or imagined and some things people are exposed to throughout their lives make them feel passionate enough to shout about it or at least to speak about it to others and take their donation money elsewhere. The majority of people who come in on these threads whilst obviously slanted toward purebred dogs are not purebred dog breeders and so when you say that "the angst felt about the RSPCA you'll note comes primarily from purebred dog breeders" is not something I agree with. I see people who are ordinary dog owners and rescue people with purebred dog breeders but even just looking at news items with SA senators calling for reform,the withdrawal of millions of dollars worth of donations in Tasmania which has almost bankrupted them etc and its pretty clear that its across the board and not something that is primarily a purebred dog breeder issue.

Who can say how any loss of support is making any real difference to them? Any of us can only go by our own experiences and I could list hundreds of people who no longer would consider making them a donation and its not something I think about because they get so much money there would need to be massive droves of people walking to see much of a dent.

Whether you want to get caught up in individual cases or not and debate whether one is justified or not the huge screaming fact is that people and not just purebred dog breeders think the system is needing to be overhauled and anyone who has any kind of sense of natural justice must see the holes that need to be fixed. I just think that even though you and many others have only been exposed to these issues here on dogz just as purebred dog breeders are in a vast minority in the general community

There are several times when purebred dog breeders are accused of being the ones doing the pitching when in fact they are not.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca...0-1225856071929
THE RSPCA will turn away stray or unwanted pets from animal shelters in the UK from next month to cut costs and focus on policing animal cruelty, according to a memo obtained by Channel 4 news.

The decision could affect as many as 75,000 unwanted animals a year which are currently taken to RSPCA centres across England and Wales, The Times reported.

It comes after the animal welfare charity admitted that the number of abandoned pets is soaring.

The documents show that from May 4, some 17 RSPCA animal centers will only take in animals which are “RSPCA generated”, which means seized by inspectors in cruelty cases or those which are at immediate risk or cruelty.

Pets belonging to people who are taken into hospital, evicted from their homes or are simply unwanted or found as strays will from that date normally be turned away.

The move has been criticised by vets and animal lovers who called it a “dereliction of duty.”

The RSPCA is Britain’s eighth largest charity, with an income of £119 million ($196m) in 2008.

The move comes as the organisation is making savings of £54 million ($89m) over three years, with donations falling due to the recession.

Read more about the RSPCA at The Times.

My goodness gracious me, this is the RSPCA doing this? :laugh:

Oh surely not, it must be a fake memo.

Another nasty little rumour ... yes, that must be it.

:love:

But how is all this going to affect the morale of their staff? They will have no strays to euthanase and put through their horrid "temperament tests".

Oh no, wait a minute, they will be rounding up all the dog breeders instead. "There ya go, into that crate now!"

Yes, that should be much more satisfying.

No staff morale problem to worry about at all.

Ah, the world is such a jolly old place to be.

Souff

Scouff - you clearly implied that the staff somehow take pleasure from putting animals to sleep. That is what I objected to and think is extremely unfair and disrespectful to the people that have to do this every day. I think that was a very low comment.

And Anne - I totally agree with you about the rants from DOL and the RSPCA. Everyone talks about farmers, breeders, jockeys........ all the people that stand to have their businesses affected by any changes the RSPCA makes to animal welfare. People do not like change.

I have nothing to gain or lose from the RSPCA. Do I agree with everything they do?? Of course not. Do I agree with every decision that the political party I support makes. Of course not.

If no one dumped their dogs at the RSPCA there would be no PTS. You think if they turn away dogs then cruelty will increase. Well why aren't your energies directed at hefty penalties for people convicted of animal abuse - jail time and life time bans on owning animals. Why is it the RSPCAs job to "let" them dump their pet on them while they tell themselves that Rex is going to go to a great home.

And I do not believe that the RSPCA is convicting all these wonderful people for not worming their dogs. It is such crap. People keep talking about these "stories" but please tell me where I can read about them so I can be enlightened. No one has given me any links to articles or cases. But then again, most people on this forum stood up for a breeder that treated her animals like crap and made them live in cages in her car without food, shelter or water. RSPCAs fault of course for taking her to court - heartless bastards. And why did they stop us chopping of little doggies tails - they look so much better that way and what do they need them for anyway.

I am sure they are not perfect. Nor are many breeders. Nor are many farmers. Nor are most people. But the RSPCA do what they do for the animals and at the end of the day they are trying to prevent people being cruel to animals. They are not there for the human welfare to keep us happy- they are there for the animals. It is NOT their primary responsibility to rehome people's dogs when they get sick of them. Or to desex them for free. What next - please worm and feed my dog, and a walk would be good too. If you can't afford to desex then you shouldn't be getting the dog. They cost money. And I'm sure the money to be made in BYBing would outweigh the lure of free desexing for people so inclined? And it is not going to change the "I'm not chopping of his manhood" mentality becasue it's free. Why is the RSPCA blamed for the faults of others?? Typcial around here though I think.

PS Thanks Anne - I know I shouldn't take it to heart but it just irks me so much to listen to this sometimes. Maybe I should just jump on the bandwagon - might be less stressful :)

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca...0-1225856071929
THE RSPCA will turn away stray or unwanted pets from animal shelters in the UK from next month to cut costs and focus on policing animal cruelty, according to a memo obtained by Channel 4 news.

The decision could affect as many as 75,000 unwanted animals a year which are currently taken to RSPCA centres across England and Wales, The Times reported.

It comes after the animal welfare charity admitted that the number of abandoned pets is soaring.

The documents show that from May 4, some 17 RSPCA animal centers will only take in animals which are “RSPCA generated”, which means seized by inspectors in cruelty cases or those which are at immediate risk or cruelty.

Pets belonging to people who are taken into hospital, evicted from their homes or are simply unwanted or found as strays will from that date normally be turned away.

The move has been criticised by vets and animal lovers who called it a “dereliction of duty.”

The RSPCA is Britain’s eighth largest charity, with an income of £119 million ($196m) in 2008.

The move comes as the organisation is making savings of £54 million ($89m) over three years, with donations falling due to the recession.

Read more about the RSPCA at The Times.

My goodness gracious me, this is the RSPCA doing this? :)

Oh surely not, it must be a fake memo.

Another nasty little rumour ... yes, that must be it.

;)

But how is all this going to affect the morale of their staff? They will have no strays to euthanase and put through their horrid "temperament tests".

Oh no, wait a minute, they will be rounding up all the dog breeders instead. "There ya go, into that crate now!"

Yes, that should be much more satisfying.

No staff morale problem to worry about at all.

Ah, the world is such a jolly old place to be.

Souff

Very good. :laugh::love::):):heart:

Would it be too cynical of me to suggest that the RSPCA UK's announcement of turning away unwanted animals is using the prospect of thousands of stray dogs and cats as leverage for more donations and government funding? :love:

Yes because the original post said that they would be turning away "stray and unwanted animals". This means they would appear not to have thought up the devious plan of turning away people who intend to dump their pets on them and then getting donations for taking them in when they set them loose to become strays :laugh:

And of course, these irresponsible pet owners are in no way to blame. Only the RSPCA.

Edited by Chocolatelover

Chocolatelover. What is this you refer to ? From your post.

But then again, most people on this forum stood up for a breeder that treated her animals like crap and made them live in cages in her car without food, shelter or water.

No knowledge of this & most suprised. Have you a link to this ? I need to see it for myself. :laugh:

Bit off topic but I am curious & skeptical I admit.

I don't think the majority of people regardless of what group they fall into get anywhere near considering a PR campaign - its about a perception of injustice -

whether that is real or imagined and some things people are exposed to throughout their lives make them feel passionate enough to shout about it or at least to speak about it to others and take their donation money elsewhere. The majority of people who come in on these threads whilst obviously slanted toward purebred dogs are not purebred dog breeders and so when you say that "the angst felt about the RSPCA you'll note comes primarily from purebred dog breeders" is not something I agree with. I see people who are ordinary dog owners and rescue people with purebred dog breeders but even just looking at news items with SA senators calling for reform,the withdrawal of millions of dollars worth of donations in Tasmania which has almost bankrupted them etc and its pretty clear that its across the board and not something that is primarily a purebred dog breeder issue.

Who can say how any loss of support is making any real difference to them? Any of us can only go by our own experiences and I could list hundreds of people who no longer would consider making them a donation and its not something I think about because they get so much money there would need to be massive droves of people walking to see much of a dent.

Whether you want to get caught up in individual cases or not and debate whether one is justified or not the huge screaming fact is that people and not just purebred dog breeders think the system is needing to be overhauled and anyone who has any kind of sense of natural justice must see the holes that need to be fixed. I just think that even though you and many others have only been exposed to these issues here on dogz just as purebred dog breeders are in a vast minority in the general community

There are several times when purebred dog breeders are accused of being the ones doing the pitching when in fact they are not.

Nice post steven - and spot on.

I am no dog breeder - pure-bred or otherwise. And neither am I a farmer. But even if I was, my opinions would be just as valid as any one else's.

Anyway, regardless of being dismissed in here as just being "on a bandwagon" or being told I am acting "appallingly" because I'm not being nice to the RSPCA, I will continue doing my small bit to try and get money meant for the benefit of needy dogs and cats sent to where it will do the most good, rather than to the RSPCA, by talking to people about my concerns with the RSPCA.

To me, staying silent because there are some dogs at the RSPCA who need rescuing and therefore it's wrong of me to put people off buying rescue dogs from them is the same as saying we shouldn't put people off buying poor little puppies from petshops because they need rescuing from their terrible situation. I can't, in good conscience, do either.

No one stood up for the breeder. Some people said they felt it was stupid to seize a homeless persons dogs and cats and also make her face court and have charges laid of over $5000. there is a difference.