Another Rspca Cock Up!

Winterpaws

Jed is quite correct re Mark Townsend, might be a nice bloke but 'run with hares, hunt with the hounds type', wouldn't bank on fair and just investigation in that area.

Again, I disagree.

He certainly seems to either have no control over the cowboys in the outfit, has no idea what they are doing, or simply chooses to pay lip service to those that question.

Exactly, he was aware of the situation and it got worse under his control. Just because someone is nice to you doesn't mean they are capable at their job mita.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not the only case, though this one smells.

It is not good when the people at the top either don't know, don't care, or can't fix.

Case by case, issue by issue has to be worked thro'. It's evidence that allows for reaching conclusions.

Your second statement is an over-generalisation.

This is not the only case, though this one smells.

It is not good when the people at the top either don't know, don't care, or can't fix.

Case by case, issue by issue has to be worked thro'. It's evidence that allows for reaching conclusions.

Your second statement is an over-generalisation.

From my experience with them NO.

March 25th, 2010

Yesterday, Brandy passed the RSPCA's vet-check with flying colours but is being kept in a paddock at the Townsville shelter for the next three weeks so staff can determine whether she is healthy enough for adoption.

But equine vet Margaret Preston, who has treated Brandy monthly since September, said she couldn't fault the care the horse had received from Ms McCabe.

''I do a run one day a month out to Balgal Beach and I just routinely have a permanent booking each month to go and check her,'' Ms Preston said.

''The horse is very well cared for and doesn't want for anything.

''And look, since I first started going out there I have seen continued improvement and slow, gradual progress.''

April 3rd

RSPCA Queensland chief executive Mark Townend said the organisation's vet was happy with the horse's health and she would be ready for adoption after Easter.

He said Ms McCabe, who has been the 10-year-old mare's foster carer for the past seven months, would be given first choice to adopt the horse.

''Our vet says she will be right in a week,'' Mr Townend said.

''We just want to confirm with Siobhan's vet, Margaret Preston, that she is happy with the care the horse has had previously and then it will go up for adoption.''

April 13th, 2010

Brandy was kept in a paddock at a private Bluewater residence for the past three weeks, monitored on the advice of the organisation's vet who wanted the horse watched for signs of colic. The horse was put down following consultation with a team of vets.

Woofnhoof I'm having a hard time following you.

If there was a problem with fences then why wasn't she told so she could fix the fences?

If there was a problem with anything for that matter why wasn't she told?why all the talk of fences and worms? If all of those vets were so incompetent they should be sacked not offered as a defense.

What team of vets made the decision to put the horse to sleep? Surely to God if it were due to something they felt may have been a long term issue they would have contacted and had the attending vet on the team? She said the horse was well looked after and improving. How else could they make an informed decision regarding what to do with it?

She'd sweated over the thing for 7months and they decided it was time to assess it and take it away while she was battling her own health stresses, made public statements the thing was in good health and ready to go to a new home AND THEN - decide to bump it off without offering her an explanation or chance to say good bye AND THEN dump the body in a place where its visible? I understand their mandate is to do whats best for the animal but there are questions that need to be answered and my heart goes out to the foster carer.

Exactly, he was aware of the situation and it got worse under his control. Just because someone is nice to you doesn't mean they are capable at their job mita.

Once more with feeling....the situation re adoption cost was resolved. A clear statement was made that there'd been poor customer service.

Next move was a local decision of a veterinary nature to return the horse to the RSPCA with a vague media report referring to some necessity to make health OK for adoption. I've said I want to see veterinary notes on which that decision was based. And then on the period of 'care' until the horse was PTS for colic. The notes I'd like to see as evidence are those of a professional, not an administrator...at this point.

I'd need documented evidence to draw a conclusion.

If I were the owner of the horse, I'd make use of the judicial review process.

Edited by mita

I usually have you on ignore.

Once more with feeling....the situation re adoption cost was resolved. A clear statement was made that there'd been poor customer service.

Next move was a local decision of a veterinary nature to return the horse to the RSPCA with a vague media report referring to some necessity to make health OK for adoption. I've said I want to see veterinary notes on which that decision was based. And then on the period of 'care' until the horse was PTS for colic. The notes I'd like to see as evidence are those of a professional, not an administrator...at this point.

I'd need evidence to draw a conclusion.

Mita, I know you say you want to see vet notes but the RSPCA will not release any, as they are not accountble to anyone and as she was the horses foster carer I doubt she would be able to get these notes released to her..

Another case that will just get forgotten about in a couple of weeks when the media and the public move onto something else...

Mita, I know you say you want to see vet notes but the RSPCA will not release any, as they are not accountble to anyone and as she was the horses foster carer I doubt she would be able to get these notes released to her..

Another case that will just get forgotten about in a couple of weeks when the media and the public move onto something else...

Molly, I was giving my reason why I wasn't reaching a conclusion, either of condemnation or support re the 2nd issue in this saga....the death of the horse. Not saying that the RSPCA had to let me personally see the vet records.

However, note my final sentence about the judicial review process.

You're funny ;) :):rofl: there is no judicial review process for the rspca, you couldn't tell anyone what you thought it was last time you were asked, care to share this time?

So after there was the statement was made by your friend that there was poor customer service why did the situation get worse if he was on top of it? The horse was removed and died, why do you think they didn't get a vet to go to the property and check the horse considering the foster carer's vet gave the horse a clean bill of health? Why do you think they needed three weeks to give a horse a health check?

Molly, I was giving my reason why I wasn't reaching a conclusion, either of condemnation or support re the 2nd issue in this saga....the death of the horse. Not saying that the RSPCA had to let me personally see the vet records.

However, note my final sentence about the judicial review process.

Oh I understood your post, I was just saying that as the rspca do not need to answer to anyone therefore they will not allow anyone to see the vets report.. (I did realise you weren't asking to see the report personally)..

But the legal owner was the rspca not the foster carer so what rights would she have to see the vets report?

Edited by MissMolly

You're funny ;) :):rofl: there is no judicial review process for the rspca, you couldn't tell anyone what you thought it was last time you were asked, care to share this time?

Yes, the Judicial Review Act Qld. Next step after appeal to the Minister & that is found unsatisfactory.

And now I'll put you back on ignore.

Edited by mita

March 25th, 2010

Yesterday, Brandy passed the RSPCA's vet-check with flying colours but is being kept in a paddock at the Townsville shelter for the next three weeks so staff can determine whether she is healthy enough for adoption.

But equine vet Margaret Preston, who has treated Brandy monthly since September, said she couldn't fault the care the horse had received from Ms McCabe.

''I do a run one day a month out to Balgal Beach and I just routinely have a permanent booking each month to go and check her,'' Ms Preston said.

''The horse is very well cared for and doesn't want for anything.

''And look, since I first started going out there I have seen continued improvement and slow, gradual progress.''

April 3rd

RSPCA Queensland chief executive Mark Townend said the organisation's vet was happy with the horse's health and she would be ready for adoption after Easter.

He said Ms McCabe, who has been the 10-year-old mare's foster carer for the past seven months, would be given first choice to adopt the horse.

''Our vet says she will be right in a week,'' Mr Townend said.

''We just want to confirm with Siobhan's vet, Margaret Preston, that she is happy with the care the horse has had previously and then it will go up for adoption.''

April 13th, 2010

Brandy was kept in a paddock at a private Bluewater residence for the past three weeks, monitored on the advice of the organisation's vet who wanted the horse watched for signs of colic. The horse was put down following consultation with a team of vets.

Woofnhoof I'm having a hard time following you.

If there was a problem with fences then why wasn't she told so she could fix the fences?

If there was a problem with anything for that matter why wasn't she told?why all the talk of fences and worms? If all of those vets were so incompetent they should be sacked not offered as a defense.

What team of vets made the decision to put the horse to sleep? Surely to God if it were due to something they felt may have been a long term issue they would have contacted and had the attending vet on the team? She said the horse was well looked after and improving. How else could they make an informed decision regarding what to do with it?

She'd sweated over the thing for 7months and they decided it was time to assess it and take it away while she was battling her own health stresses, made public statements the thing was in good health and ready to go to a new home AND THEN - decide to bump it off without offering her an explanation or chance to say good bye AND THEN dump the body in a place where its visible? I understand their mandate is to do whats best for the animal but there are questions that need to be answered and my heart goes out to the foster carer.

We don't know whether the fences were an issue, it is something that occured to me upon seeing the photo of the fence and the leg injury in later photos, we don't know whether the carer was told about the fences or not. We don't even know if the carer was told about any problems, for all we know the RSPCA didn't authorise her to keep treating it.

Perhaps they shouldn't have allowed her to foster it in the first place and maybe they did tell her she doesn't really say what sort of relationship she had with the RSPCA or what the arrangements were regarding foster/treatment/adoption.

My heart goes out to her too but my head wonders why she kept getting a vet out to a horse for 7 months without making any move to formally adopt it given there appears to have been no hard and fast agreement that she could have the mare.

It's possible they simply got the vet's contractor to dispose of the body, a lot of people don't realise the expense and regulations surrounding burial of a horse.

You're funny :):rofl::mad there is no judicial review process for the rspca, you couldn't tell anyone what you thought it was last time you were asked, care to share this time?

Yes, the Judicial Review Act Qld. Next step after appeal to the Minister & that is found usatisfactory.

Awww, you really do love me mita, you keep taking me off ignore ;) If that works then why haven't any of the solicitors involved in any of the cases been able to make progress. Do you know that because the rspca isn't a government organisation they can't be investigated by the usual government review? I don't think you are aware, otherwise why would educated solicitors not be able to do what you suggest, do you think they are all dumdums?

But the legal owner was the rspca not the foster carer so what rights would she have to see the vets report?

That's a good question, Molly. You're right about that. She could seek explanation as being affected by a decision.

Edited by mita

The problem is we have a bunch of cowboys with lots of powers and no knowledge running around the country gut shooting cows, killing off pets,intimidating people,seizing healthy animals, most of them know next to nothing about animals because they are sourced from law enforcement backgrounds for preference, they stuff up continually and they are answerable to no one.

Apart from the cases I have had personal experience with they make asses of themselves on national tv on a weekly basis for all the world to see.

I am far from surprised when case after case comes to light because the reality is the whole organisation needs taking apart from the very top down.

Long gone are the days when the RSPCA "for all creatures great and small" actually meant something.

You're funny :):rofl::mad there is no judicial review process for the rspca, you couldn't tell anyone what you thought it was last time you were asked, care to share this time?

Yes, the Judicial Review Act Qld. Next step after appeal to the Minister & that is found usatisfactory.

Awww, you really do love me mita, you keep taking me off ignore ;) If that works then why haven't any of the solicitors involved in any of the cases been able to make progress. Do you know that because the rspca isn't a government organisation they can't be investigated by the usual government review? I don't think you are aware, otherwise why would educated solicitors not be able to do what you suggest, do you think they are all dumdums?

It's not that I love you or hate you, jdavis. I find you're emotionally negative. And, in fact, you approach most things from a platform of needy emotion.

An example, you've been given the process & you didn't go and read it. If you did, you'd find a definition in the Qld process, that fits.

It's not that I love you or hate you, jdavis. I find you're emotionally negative. And, in fact, you approach most things from a platform of needy emotion.

An example, you've been given the process & you didn't go and read it. If you did, you'd find a definition in the Qld process, that fits.

:mad I'm a needy :rofl:

But you didn't answer my question, why do you think that solicitors working for defendants haven't been able to make the appeal process you mention work for them? So far I haven't done a law degree and thus haven't been called on to defend anybody, so I haven't tried this. BUT, those who have done a law degree presumably are smart enough to know what you know about the process, so why can't they use it, if it works as you say it does for rspca investigations?

Maybe a NEW society needs to be set up that is for NON profit australia wide because this one has carte blance and is a law unto themselves.

Absolutely.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

and this is what has happened here. we can watch them but who can or how can we get this sort of thing changed? who do they answer to?

Absolutely no one.

Mita,

How can you and some others support this vile organization when things like this happen every day and are just covered up. :):rofl:

I take each issue as it comes & look for evidence before reaching a conclusion.

A summary:

A woman has fostered a horse for a lengthy period for the local RSPCA. Understandably comes to love it.

Decides to adopt it. Is told by the local RSPCA that the adoption cost will be $500.

I would've paid that.....just as I've insisted on paying the registered breeders who wanted to give me their retired showdogs for nothing.

Just my personal value....something I wouldn't impose on everyone else.

So the woman was right to have a different value.....that she'd fostered for so long that surely she could just adopt.

I've no quibble in her speaking out & getting support for her view. A newspaper even offering to pay the sum.

The issue is taken up by the CEO who accurately says what's happened is sure not good customer service.

Then matters are in train for a resolutiion.

No hanging offences for anyone, so far, is my conclusion.

Then a turn of events, for which I'd like details of evidence.

The horse is taken back to the RSCPA with media report vaguely saying that matters had to be attended to so its health was OK for adoption.

After a period of being in their care, the report is that the horse had to be PTS for colic.

There's no evidence in the media report of actual vet-reported details of what this 'health' trail was. So I haven't reached any conclusion on this part of the story. I'd need to know what veterinary notes said on the genesis of the horse's condition.

Great liars are also great magicians -- Adolf Hitler.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed -- Adolf Hitler.

Does this sound like the R$PCA to you, it does to me. ;)