Another Rspca Cock Up!

Winterpaws

The problem is we have a bunch of cowboys with lots of powers and no knowledge running around the country gut shooting cows, killing off pets,intimidating people,seizing healthy animals, most of them know next to nothing about animals because they are sourced from law enforcement backgrounds for preference, they stuff up continually and they are answerable to no one.

Apart from the cases I have had personal experience with they make asses of themselves on national tv on a weekly basis for all the world to see.

I am far from surprised when case after case comes to light because the reality is the whole organisation needs taking apart from the very top down.

Long gone are the days when the RSPCA "for all creatures great and small" actually meant something.

What she said.

And consider, if you will, the happenings of this nature which never make the papers.

I hope this vile story is being considered by ACA or TT

Edited by Jed

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem is we have a bunch of cowboys with lots of powers and no knowledge running around the country gut shooting cows, killing off pets,intimidating people,seizing healthy animals, most of them know next to nothing about animals because they are sourced from law enforcement backgrounds for preference, they stuff up continually and they are answerable to no one.

Apart from the cases I have had personal experience with they make asses of themselves on national tv on a weekly basis for all the world to see.

I am far from surprised when case after case comes to light because the reality is the whole organisation needs taking apart from the very top down.

Long gone are the days when the RSPCA "for all creatures great and small" actually meant something.

What she said.

And consider, if you will, the happenings of this nature which never make the papers.

I hope this vile story is being considered by ACA or TT

i think it needs to be more than just this situation, i think an expose would be required to get all the issues aired...now who knows an investigative journalist that they can point in the right direction?

For those who believe the RSPCA is filled with incompetent employees, little knowledge, and plans to take over the animal welfare world for ill gotten gains, *who* do you think could fulfill or administer animal welfare related laws such as POCTAA? Genuine question.

For those who believe the RSPCA is filled with incompetent employees, little knowledge, and plans to take over the animal welfare world for ill gotten gains, *who* do you think could fulfill or administer animal welfare related laws such as POCTAA? Genuine question.

that is indeed the question. i am not sure that another organisation needs to be found, what i think is that the RSPCA needs an overhaul, clearer processes and transparency in their day to day work. i also think the structure needs to be changed, ie there should be an appeals process, and oversight of the organisation, in other words they should stop being a law unto themselves.

Primary Industries

hmm now thats an idea. i think that the rspca is confused on one hand they are a regulator/investigator/punisher and on the other they are an enabler/charity/helper. i dont think one organisation can do both well.

maybe the primary industry should be the regulator and the rspca goes back to being the charity.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

that is indeed the question. i am not sure that another organisation needs to be found, what i think is that the RSPCA needs an overhaul, clearer processes and transparency in their day to day work. i also think the structure needs to be changed, ie there should be an appeals process, and oversight of the organisation, in other words they should stop being a law unto themselves.

Agreed!

Not sure the Gov would like PI to administer and police it though as it means they would have to find the budget for resources. One reason why the Gov would be sitting back on the issue having the RSPCA administering it is because it saves them $.

It does seem illogical and fraught with issues that an organisation that relies on charity and fundraising has to supply resources to administer something so important.

This is also a genuine question. What do people think really happens to their pets when they are euthanased? The pets that people leave at the vets or shelters etc, obviously not the ones that are cremated or taken home for burial. I do not understand the difference between dumping the body of someones beloved pet dog or any other animal I believe that we just don't know what happens after the fact.

I am appalled that the foster carer was not told the truth about the disposal of Brandy, I believe that if euthanasia had been decided by a group of vets than the carer should have been given the option to have the horse euthanased on her property if she wanted to bury her herself. In most cases there are not happy endings where pets get buried in a cemetary unless owners pay for it. Have people asked their vets what really happens to the bodies of their pets or are we happy in the belief that what we don't know won't hurt us?

I still can't believe that animals and animal waste are dumped in open tips, as I stated earlier I thought that they would have to be incinerated. But after working in a shelter and seeing the bodies of strays and owners euthanasias dumped in wheelie bins and put in the freezer until the refuse company collects them I would personally never leave my pets for anyone but me to bury or have them organised to be cremated.

This is also a genuine question. What do people think really happens to their pets when they are euthanased? The pets that people leave at the vets or shelters etc, obviously not the ones that are cremated or taken home for burial. I do not understand the difference between dumping the body of someones beloved pet dog or any other animal I believe that we just don't know what happens after the fact.

I am appalled that the foster carer was not told the truth about the disposal of Brandy, I believe that if euthanasia had been decided by a group of vets than the carer should have been given the option to have the horse euthanased on her property if she wanted to bury her herself. In most cases there are not happy endings where pets get buried in a cemetary unless owners pay for it. Have people asked their vets what really happens to the bodies of their pets or are we happy in the belief that what we don't know won't hurt us?

I still can't believe that animals and animal waste are dumped in open tips, as I stated earlier I thought that they would have to be incinerated. But after working in a shelter and seeing the bodies of strays and owners euthanasias dumped in wheelie bins and put in the freezer until the refuse company collects them I would personally never leave my pets for anyone but me to bury or have them organised to be cremated.

I've worked for several Vets, each with a different process, and I have delivered frozen bodies to the RSPCA's Yagoona shelter when the Vet I worked for the NSW President of the RSPCA. Yagoona incinerates. One Vet delivered the bodies to Yagoona, one Vet had a contractor collect and another left it to his staff to drive the Hi-Lux to the local tip to dump them illegally. It was set up with the operators of the tip and as we drove it, we waited for the grater driver to acknolwedge us and point to where we had to dump. They then came over and covered the bodies immediately. Awful business. :hug:

Edited by ~Anne~

What do people think really happens to their pets when they are euthanased?

You would be surprised at how many times I get that question when clients book in for their pet to be euthanased, I'd estimate at least half to three-quarters of the people ask us what happens with their pets.

With horses there are more regulations associated with it than there is with smaller animals. They are not allowed to be buried near watercourses or areas where the water table is close to the surface, many councils require a certain amount of lime placed over and a certain depth for the hole etc. It does cost money to bury a horse you need a backhoe I hired one last week it was $340 per day and $300 to transport it to the property they can't go on a trailer they have to go on a truck. Then you need someone who knows how to operate it who can dig the hole for you, and you have to hope you don't have a lot of rock on your property.

If the mare in this scenario was colicing at the time she was PTS it would have been extremely difficult to tranport her to the carer's property, you run the risk of the horse dying in transit then you have to find some way of getting her out of the float/truck, hooking a rope on and dragging the body out isn't all that dignified an end either. I do believe she should have been given the option though, whether there would have been time is totally dependent on whether the horse was ill at the time of PTS.

It's really difficult with horses, I hope to be lucky enough to be on my own place when my lot start to drop off, otherwise I will beg borrow or steal so I can afford cremation which apparently is around $600+ The tip is the last resort for a caring owner, an uncaring owner drops the animal off at the sales while it's still alive :hug:

I'm pretty well with you on this. I don't have a problem about the horse being taken to the dump - IF it was in fact the dead animal dump, which I suspect it was. Some of the packages around it look like dead animals to me. At most da dumps, except the ones in extreme back woods have dirt dozed over the carcasses every day or couple of days.

Most of the animals pts at the vets are disposed of in the same way. Very few places run incincerators large enough for carcases.

What I don't care for is the lack of humanity and respect shown to the carer, in the face of her grief. She was obviously very fond of the horse, and had forged a bond with it, she wanted to keep it.

Leaving aside the question of whether the horse needed to be euthed (and I don't for a nano second think it did, but that is supposition only) the shabby, high handed and grossly unkind way the fosterer was treated is totally amoral. No organisation with any care for anything would have done this. Additionally, I suspect the horse was shot, and it would have been shocking to find a beloved horse at the dump, shot. Particularly someone who was emotionally fragile, having just suffered an etopic pregnancy.

How appalling.

"All creatures great and small" obviously doesn't apply to horses, or foster carers.

What's new?

It's big bu$ine$$ of course, they can't be worried about a few fowls, as Hugh Wirth told us all. Apparently it's such a big bu$ine$$ they can't be worried about a few horses or a few people either.

i never leave them there i pay to get them cremated. my daughter worked at a vet for work experience... :hug::(

What do people think really happens to their pets when they are euthanased?

You would be surprised at how many times I get that question when clients book in for their pet to be euthanased, I'd estimate at least half to three-quarters of the people ask us what happens with their pets.

What do you tell them?

Most vets, particularly not in metropolitan areas, send the animals to the dead animal dump, because there is no incincerator.

My vet, who sends them to the da dump, says they are buried, which is quite true.

It costs $150 approximately for backhoe and operator or excavator to bury a horse, including travelling, if you are in an area where travel is not too far. It doesn't take long. Very stony ground may require an excavator, or if it is layers or rock, a dozer. Dozers cost about double in those kind of conditions.

I personally have my dogs and cats cremated and I always ring a friend who is a supervisor at the crematorium to tell him that my animal is coming in and ask that he takes care of them. Whether or not that happens I don't know but it makes me feel better. I recently had to have my old horse put down luckily we have a tractor and excavator so my OH could bury him, but from what I understand it was a huge job but one that I am so grateful that he did for me.

It costs $150 approximately for backhoe and operator or excavator to bury a horse, including travelling, if you are in an area where travel is not too far. It doesn't take long. Very stony ground may require an excavator, or if it is layers or rock, a dozer. Dozers cost about double in those kind of conditions.

Not in my area it doesn't, the quotes I got last week weren't even close to that.

Most of the Vets in this area make use of the Council incinerator for disposal of small animals.

Others go to the animal dump where they are covered over at the time.

In both cases it means they are frozen until either option happens.

Horses are either buried or burnt if Euth happens in a suitable place or some may be transported to the doggers and he takes care of them immediately if pre arranged.

Another issue with DPI is that it is State, not Federal. Each State would be adminsitered differently.

Interesting that no-one has offered anything else. I guess it is easier to criticise than to think about the implications of the cristicisms perhaps?