English Foxhounds

Monah

Just to add about the walking/strength etc. the ones at shows appear to be excellent around the ring so I guess training has a huge impact on lead behaviour. If I ever am lucky enough to have one, I'd have to ask for plenty of advice advice and MORE advice. :confused:

Hi Guys,

I have only just stumbled on this thread after both Rebanne and Trisven told me about it as I have been slack with stalking DOL.

I have three show Foxhounds and now have been getting involved with hunt foxhounds as well. I am only new to the breed (coming up to four years) but if anyone has any questions about this beautiful breed I will chat for hours about them and if there is anything I dont know I will endever to find out from my various sources both in Aust. and UK.

My guys are from both hunt and show lines and I can say that this breed is absolutely fantastic and we are all one happy little pack!

Foxhounds can be a little work and are probably suited for a more experienced hound person, and if you accept some of the limitations with them (they are not the best recall dog and can be a little large and stubborn for some) they will reward you with a lots of love.

I love talking about these guys and please dont hesitate to say hello at shows if you see me or to drop a line. :thumbsup:

And those velvet ears - my OH always said that too he loves the feel. There are several chat groups on facebook for the foxhound - love our foxhounds and enthusists of the english foxhound. Definately come have a look!

Not a good photo but shows how friendly these Foxhounds were at a Welsh Show .The crowd were

invited to meet the dogs.I grew up in an area where the hunts frequented ,the dogs were lovely.

I was not a fan of hunts I have to say despite a fox killing our ducks.

Off topic but I have a tiny little book about a naughty Foxhound which I loved as a child. :thumbsup:

lovely photo of everyone meeting the hounds - I am sure that it was enjoyed by both parties! They are meant to be friendly as it is stated in the breed standard that temperament is friendly and not aggressive, which does help to live in a pack environment.

There is a book that I have been eyeing off on ebay about a young foxhound pup that makes friends with a young fox, been waiting till the little man to be a little older for him.

There is a really old movie called The Bellstone Fox wich is about the friendship of a fox and a hound. Its very sad but worth a look if you can find it. We have it on video - need to get transferred over to DVD.

Thanks for all the info Rugerrun, sounds great, a wonderful interest!!

Dodo, lovely lovely photo, this is what attracts me to the breed, the wonderful temperament and of course their look! Gorgeous looking animal.

Rugerrun, I amy be moving to adelaide this year and I see you are Vic. do you ever go to SA for shows? I see Narelles foxhounds here and will need a fix in SA!! are there any there? I haven't shown for years, I did show wolfhounds who can also be a little STUBBORN :laugh::) ;) but very good when you go the direction that they want to go........................ :(:laugh:

Have brought the fox and hound DVD for the little man and I will keep a look out for the Bellstone Fox now too thanks Dust Angel.

Monah, I have kept a eye on the royal results and there is 2 foxhounds that were shown from a breeder in Vic. I am actually on the border of Vic and NSW. I have thought about going to both SA and QLD royals this year - it is dependent on work though. I am really keen to get up to QLD to meet Narelle and also meet the Mingus Hounds in person as Jan was a lovely support for me. I am going to be at the melbourne royal this year - missed last year because of bub and I am not going to miss it this year!

I is funny that you use to show wolfies as that is the other breed that I am eyeing off at the mo! But I think that it might look a bit funny as I am not the tallest of people and if I showed a large male I dont think you will see me! :D And then there is the trouble of showing in group with 2 rare breeds!

I am going to Cowra next weekend to show my guys and meet up with another breeder so I will try to take some photos of the lot and I will remember to take some photos of the hunt pack in action next time too!

Rugerun, Good Taste :( re wolfies, I am tall :confused: so was OK.

Any photos would be great, Im in QLD but may be moving to SA soon, so will kepp an eye out for you al over the country!!xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Where on the border are you rugerun (PM if you prefer) we are near Cooma in the snowies on the NSW side - would love to meet your Pack one day - youll have trouble dragging Dust Angel and I away from them and have to count heads when we leave :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Snowysal I am on the NSW/Vic border so down a little further from you. Not worried about extra people - more people to enjoy the guys, talk foxhounds and my guys would love the extra attention! Always come for a chat and for others you arent being rude in asking what breed my girl is - she is a foxhound despite the lemon colouring and ficker :)

Do you guys know anyone looking for a lovely, if exuberant and untrained, 12 month old Foxhound boy... he's been good with all other dogs he's been introduced to so far...

He came into rescue via a rural pound, but we've had him looked at by a breeder and they have declared him pure - but we don't have any papers for him.

T.

Love love LOVE this breed :love: they are amazing in pictures but to see them in real life is just breathtaking!!! I love their size and their shape- they are so solid but agile and athletic at the same time.

They are on my 'one day' list :) preferably when I am living on acreage they can bay!!! Supposedly the Border 'singing' stems from their relationship with the hounds. I have a heap of pictures of Borders hunting with he hounds- will scan them and share soon :laugh:

Lakelands hunted with them too!! Lakelands LOVE other dogs and i've been told that being bred for hunting with foxies(hounds) has impacted on this temperament. :)

They are gorgeous aren't they??? :D

Lakelands hunted with them too!! Lakelands LOVE other dogs and i've been told that being bred for hunting with foxies(hounds) has impacted on this temperament. :D

They are gorgeous aren't they??? :)

Indeed :D :D

I understand that the reason why a good Border wont ever start a fight is because any terrier that got up a Foxhound's nose would have been dinner for the big 'un :laugh:

And fair enough, too.

They are one of those dogs that IMO when you seem them in person are almost unreal :rolleyes:

hey guys, just like tdierikx a friend of mine is looking to place a 2yr full male from Qld who has been a pet for a family which unfortunately their situation has changed. He is a tri boy with great temperament. please PM mail me and I can pass on the details.