English Foxhounds

Monah

I dont know that they'd make good pets. They have been bred to work/hunt as a pack for so many generations. They're very active, and big. I knew one bloke who had one, it was too strong for him, he never let it off the lead, it pulled like crazy and I felt sorry for it.

At the risk of igniting the age old hunting debate my grandparents had at one stage 22 couple. They had The Bythorn Hunt club and used to hunt out of a property near Ludnhem.

They were remarkable to watch when working and to this day the memory of them in "full cry" sends shivers down my spine. I have many many fond memories of helping grandad with them when i was a kid. They had delightful natures and would do anything for a pat!

Although they were wonderful at their job they weren't extremely bright (may be a generalization i was only a teenager) :thumbsup: and the nose ruled everything. They were all bred and trained to hunt except for Sassy who was never really very good at anything except following my grandfather around adoringly and eating.

I adore them and still do!

Hi Monah, I have a very dear friend that owns and shows Foxhounds.

I will get her to PM you if you like. She knows a lot about them has owned them for many many years and has worked very closely with some of the top breeders who breed them for hunting also.

I also have another friend that owned one quite a few years ago. Though her dog was mainly her family pet, she also hunted with him, but on foot. Her boy was a bit aloof, quite eratic and very timid. Having said this, I believe it was largely owing to how she kept him during hunting season and the man that used to mind him for her.

Edited by dyzney

I see them occasionally at shows and we have one doing agility at our club.

I taught one to sit on cue in 10 minutes at a show once. By the end of the third day she was offering the behaviour to anyone who greeted her. I think like most hounds, provided you tick the WIFM box, they are trainable. They're just not working or gundogs.

The few I've met have had lovely temperaments.

Edited by poodlefan

I dont know that they'd make good pets. They have been bred to work/hunt as a pack for so many generations. They're very active, and big. I knew one bloke who had one, it was too strong for him, he never let it off the lead, it pulled like crazy and I felt sorry for it.

Rugerrun has 3 and a baby, dogs are lovely and are pets

I see them occasionally at shows and we have one doing agility at our club.

I taught one to sit on cue in 10 minutes at a show once. By the end of the third day she was offering the behaviour to anyone who greeted her. I think like most hounds, provided you tick the WIFM box, they are trainable. They're just not working or gundogs.

The few I've met have had lovely temperaments.

Yes, it's the temperament that has me interested. I've met several at shows and they have all been really friendly and cuddly and so sweet, and, great with other dogs, really great. And , I love the look of them too. I've had sight hounds and they (mine) were also WIFM ;) :) which is why I'm always amazed at how EASY the viz is :rofl:

I'm thinking of an awful lot later on, and looked in the 101 breeds and couldn't see them, so thought I'd put it out there!

All info greatly appreciated!! :mad

Dust angel, you lucky lucky lucky duck!!! I envy you. wonderful!!

dyzney, a PM would be great. I'd love to 'visit' some eventually on their own turf to check them out. My girlchild had a lot to do with a pack in Oxford as she was friends with a gamekeeper at a manor. She thought they were wonderful. I was very jealous ;) xxx

Hi Monah, I am the person that Dyzney was talking about, you know me I am Zsa's (Vizsla) mum. I will Attempt to tell you a bit about the English Foxhound,. First of all they are a hound and a pack animal so most people assume they do not make good pets, wrong, if you get them from baby and as long as you don't through them in a yard alone and never do anything with them then they can be as affectionate as any other dog, my sister

s Blue boy thinks he is a little dog and try's to climb on her knee, he has grown up with a Manchester so thinks he is one of them, Blue's brother that is owned by a young lass in Brisbane is a house dog and sleeps on her bed with the cat and her beagle. My own Foxhounds do live outside but come in for baths, toenail etc and are very well mannered when inside. Hennessy is Blue's brother and I have had him since 8 weeks old and he is a real soft sweet boy and a great show dog to boot but he hates travelling so sometimes he is hard to get in the trailer. Nettle was 2 year old when I got her, she is from the Melbourne Hunt Club and had hunted for a season and a half, it took a while to settle her into a routine of our dogs and more people as well as the show scene but she is coming good after 6 mths, she has the sweetest nature and has taken me as her owner. Hopscotch is a 6 year old boy who has only been with us for 2 mths, his owner was the breeder of Hennessy and Blue and we lost her to cancer in Feb. she wanted Hoppy to come live with me and it has been a big change for him but he has settled great and loves to go in trailer as that means he isn't staying home alone, once again the PACK situation comes out. I have had a few other foxhounds over the years but that should give you an idea, oh one more I will tell you about is Spinner, I bought Spinner purely as a pet and he was 5 mths old by the time he fly up from Sydney to QLD and I will honestly say he never did settle with other people that came to visit and it took me a good 6 mths before I could catch him easy, FOOD didn't even work. So there we have it I hope that helps, they are a BIG dog as well and usually weigh around the 30 to 40 kg mark, you have no idea how many people say to me "I thought they were smaller" and I say that is because you see picture of them standing beside horses and they do look smaller then. Oh and they come in any Hound colour which means basically anything bar Brindle, Tri, Red/White, Black/White, Pied, Mottle, and pure white.

post-25564-1272342167.jpg

post-25564-1272342323_thumb.jpg

;) Ha, well, guess whose foxhounds I was talking about!!!! Yours of course. I adore them and am very impressed with them, as you can tell!!! I think I may have said hi to Nettle in the trailer? and the litter mates?? I think they are, that you and your sister have, are just wonderful. I will be keeping my eyes well and truly open to see how all the FHs get on etc. with a real view to the future :) I might turn up as 'competition' one day! :mad:rofl:

Funnily enough I also have Manchesters on my to do list!!

Dug up some of the old hunting photos for you Monah :hug:

Im sure i have some more of the hounds alone - ill look for them for you! They truly would have to be one of the most happiest breeds around!

DSCF3452.jpg

DSCF3450.jpg

DSCF3453.jpg

DSCF3455-1.jpg

ETA some DOLers have actually met Ben (the horse my grandfather is riding) he is still (much greyer) at 42 this year!

Edited by Dust Angel

:rofl: Ha, well, guess whose foxhounds I was talking about!!!! Yours of course. I adore them and am very impressed with them, as you can tell!!! I think I may have said hi to Nettle in the trailer? and the litter mates?? I think they are, that you and your sister have, are just wonderful. I will be keeping my eyes well and truly open to see how all the FHs get on etc. with a real view to the future :eek: I might turn up as 'competition' one day! :rofl: :D

Funnily enough I also have Manchesters on my to do list!!

ha, small world hey ladies. :(

Thanks Rellie for popping in and responding for me.

DSCF3455-1.jpg

ETA some DOLers have actually met Ben (the horse my grandfather is riding) he is still (much greyer) at 42 this year!

42!!! :( What a handsome boy!

Thanks for sharing the hunt photos, they are lovely. :rofl:

oh DA those photos are brilliant! you are so lucky to have grown up where you did, I would have given anything (and I still would have) to have had a childhood like that as I used to spend hours looking at English horse and hunt books wanting to be there! *sigh* .... those photos look like heaven to me!

They are fantastic photos!! Are you saying the HORSE is now 42 :( Handsome, the rider is too :laugh::) the dogs are having so much fun. I'm politically incorrect because I um, like foxes :) so don't kill me!! But I LOVE the hounds, and the whole hunt thing (esp it they are not really hunting! :rofl: )

I really would enjoy seeing any others you have, heaps of dogs would be great!! And I think you are terribly lucky too :hug:

Rugerrun has 3 and a baby, dogs are lovely and are pets

Yep. Rugerrun's dogs are beautiful and, quite simply, adore children.

Yes they are strong but like any big dog its all in your training. I know that Rugerrun walks hers on a halti but she used to walk all three together before she had the baby. I think that now she only walks two at a time as she also has to push the stroller.

Fabulous dogs.

I've rescued several foxhounds and had a litter of them as well (rescue bitch.. NOT that I bred the litter!).. Gorgeous dogs and i like them much better than Beagles... their nose does rule them, like most hounds, but they are intelligent if you find their motivation (usually food!) and when raised in a family, they are wonderful pets.. but very energetic and need a fair amount of exercise when they are teenagers.

They are very agile usually so good fencing is a MUST.

I love the breed. Their ears are like velvet. *sigh*

Lovely to hear so many great foxhound stories :laugh:

I think I'd cope OK with the strength as I've managed wolfhounds, giant schnauzers and my Spinone is STRONG!!! probably the strongest dog I've had :confused:

They sound lovely, sigh!! one day......................... meanwhilie I'll keep enjoying the photos and thanks so much for the link!!magpie!xxx