What Don't Most People Know About Your Breed?

RallyValley

I wish this thread had more actual interesting facts about different breeds not just telling us what Joe Blow thinks about it and that it's "not" that.

Go to breeds 101 great stuff there

Oh, very clever!!! But nope, they're the main facts and info on the breeds.

This thread was supposed to be a thread about learning interesting facts about a breed that other dog savvy people might not know about - Like that most Samoyeds have one black strand of hair somewhere on them. I never would have known that but found it very interesting when I found Fletcher's and then found out that they all do!

In any other thread people would be apologising for taking it off topic, but it's been totally acceptable here. Just would love to read some interesting little facts!

From the OP:

I would love to get some new tibits of information and I love haring about breeds from the people who live with them. smile.gif

Not "I would love to hear the crazy things that people think about your dog that aren't true!"

Well I for one have actually been enjoying this thread. I have found it informative and at times, downright hilarious. I guess you can't please everybody and like the old saying goes, there's always one in every crowd :rofl:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just exactly like the thread about the crazy things people said at the royal shows, which i agree was hilarious.. I just really would have liked to learn little interesting facts and was sad it didn't end up that way :rofl:

I didn't mean to be whingey and make you do mean red face man!

Edited by Bindii

American Cocker Spaniels are NOT a cross between a Cavalier and a Cocker.

And no, they don't bark with an accent.

That is just priceless :rofl: ;)

--

Not a breed thing but I also get asked if Jack is blind in his blue eye a lot of the time?

Bindii

Sorry I was being honest when I said try 101 I thought thats what you meant! Post titles can be misleading like the WA topic I assumed was a bit diff but its is all agility folks and about agility lol not especially a WA topic as such! lol

OK just for you

the Xolo has webbed feet!

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

This thread was supposed to be a thread about learning interesting facts about a breed that other dog savvy people might not know about - Like that most Samoyeds have one black strand of hair somewhere on them. I never would have known that but found it very interesting when I found Fletcher's and then found out that they all do!

In any other thread people would be apologising for taking it off topic, but it's been totally acceptable here. Just would love to read some interesting little facts!

From the OP:

I would love to get some new tibits of information and I love haring about breeds from the people who live with them. smile.gif

Not "I would love to hear the crazy things that people think about your dog that aren't true!"

Completely agree Bindii!

No, they are not a miniature collie or a little lassie dog. Are they good with kids? Well, I hope so or your child hanging around its neck will get its face taken off.

No, you don't shave their coat off for summer. No, blue puppies don't turn sable (red) when they get older. No, they don't take hours & hours to brush.

Finnish Lapphunds - Most people don't know.... that they exist.

Keeshonds - Most people don't know that there's really not much dog under all that coat! They're tiny! And NO - he's NOT going to sink when his hair gets wet while swimming!

I'm at the point where I cringe every time I answer the "what type of dog is that" question because there's a really predictable conversation that follows - I'm sure you know all about it by now Nik! I don't mind though it's kind of fun to educate people.

:rofl: It's so true... But I don't mind. I expect them to say "... a what????!" when I tell them, too. So I usually just start on my spiel about reindeer herders. It's when someone asks, "is that a Lapphund?" when I do a double-take and die from shock!

Same! It's only happened to me once, at a show in Gladstone, by a lovely older man who breeds both Lappies and Keeshonden! I usually get "a finished what!?" ;)

Pet Peeves ;)

It's pronounced Rott-wyler NOT Rott-wheeler or Rock-wheeler! In fact, if you want to be really correct, it's pronounced Rott-vyler. Calling my dog a Rottwheeler or Rockwheeler will cause my brain to explode!

I read the first bit of your post and went "oops!" in my brain until I read the second sentence, I always say "Rott-vyler"! Good to know I'm actually right and not making an idiot out of myself. Beautiful dogs!

Oh yeah, pronounciation is another thing people should know about Keeshonden!

It's not Keesh-hound.. It's KAYZ-HOND!

I didn't know that! I love being educated on pronunciations!

Pronounced doxen, not dash-hound. Learnt that one the hard way and everyone else I know calls them dash-hound.

Again! Wow! I have been saying "dacks-hund" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pronounced doxen, not dash-hound. Learnt that one the hard way and everyone else I know calls them dash-hound.

Again! Wow! I have been saying "dacks-hund" :rofl: ;) ;)

I'm guilty of that one too! :rofl: Doxen it is from now on!

Pet Peeves :rofl:

It's pronounced Rott-wyler NOT Rott-wheeler or Rock-wheeler! In fact, if you want to be really correct, it's pronounced Rott-vyler. Calling my dog a Rottwheeler or Rockwheeler will cause my brain to explode!

I read the first bit of your post and went "oops!" in my brain until I read the second sentence, I always say "Rott-vyler"! Good to know I'm actually right and not making an idiot out of myself. Beautiful dogs!

Yay! :rofl: ;) ;) You get a gold star :rofl:

Thanks for the doxen pronunciation ( hand up as I erred as well)

But feel for me as nobody ever gets my breed past the X!!

I have it on my sig as a pronunciation and the dogs jackets and my pamphlets I give out with business cards! Cant wait to name puppies with equally frsutrating names!

SHOW LOW EATS QWEENT LEE!

:rofl:

Hooray :) :p :D

I think it's because I work with 3 German anaesthetic consultants, they're always using 'w' for 'v' and vice versa, so when I hear/see a German word with a 'w' I always use a 'v' (I even sometimes say 'wodka' though most people think I have had a brain malfunction). One of them always says "awailable" no matter how many times I try to correct him, bless him, and another cannot get his tongue around the difference between "eligible" and "illegible". Poor guy I don't blame him one bit!

Sorry :rofl:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the all the pronunciations - that's awesome.

I table write at shows and they really want me to steward but I've always said "no way" because I'm afraid I'll pronounce the breed names incorrectly - lol.

Well I was dead serious with my replies. Most people DON'T know that the American Cocker is NOT a Cav x Cocker.

And for some reason they DO think they bark with an accent. :)

And most people DON'T know that the Stafford jaw doesn't lock because they DO listen to the crap spouted by other people and in the media.

The British Bulldog standard was first drawn up in 1865 by the members of the original Bulldog Club and it was known as the Philo-Kuon Standard. 10 years later the the Bulldog Club issued an improved standard. Little else has changed from that original standard drawn up 135 years ago until NOW..... :cool:

Bulldogs sink, they don't really swim. AND they can live outside in 38 degree weather if looked after with fresh water, shell pools and shade. :)

They love people and kids, and are also very sociable with other dogs.

And also have a desire to sleep in weird positions.... :laugh:

Can't spell today!!

post-28996-1272586019_thumb.jpg

Edited by bullyfan