What Don't Most People Know About Your Breed?

RallyValley

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing everyone THINKS they know about Saint Bernards is that they wore barrels round their necks filled with rum/brandy/whatever when they were out on their rescue missions in the Swiss Alps. Truth is, they never carried them. They were depicted as wearing the barrels in an early painting and that is where people got the idea from.

That they're actually really good watchdogs (or mine might be broken). She's got one hell of an alert bark for anything she thinks isn't right, and she won't stop barking until I come and check it out. No barking at other times though (thank gods).

Oh, and she doesn't love everyone, despite the usually-deserved breed reputation, just most people (unless you're suspicious and dodgy looking in her eyes, and then she'll steer clear, and won't let me approach either).

That they are not a Pembroke corgi cross, just a different breed of corgi!

And that yes, they are supposed to be that fast and nimble, and both breeds of corgi were bred to be cattle herders. They are particulaly sucessful in confined spaces, where their shortness easily allows them to avoid kicking cattle.

People are just used to seeing fat pembrokes, so seeing my extremely fast and healthy girl throws them anyway!

They have coated ones and come in three sizes!
I know this Wazzat!(but only because you mentioned it once before :) )

OK CG you got me! But you have been on the Xolo thread since inception! lol

How about

Most purebred dogs have been designed for a specific purpose

the Xolo was not.

It is unique in the fact that it is a product of natural selection, created and molded by environmental adaptation, rather than selective breeding.

The Xolo’s traits of type are traits of self-preservation.

:D

That they are more like a monkey/cat hybrid than a dog.

They are fantastic climbers.

And for the 100+ people that have asked me this question when I walk through town... yes they do need to be shaved.