What Don't Most People Know About Your Breed?

RallyValley

Manchester:

They are not mini Dobe's :rofl:

Whippet or Italian Greyhound was used in their development, hence the unusual topline for a terrier.

They are classed as a 'Vulnerable Native Breed' in Britain and almost became extinct

Agatha Christie owned two, and Teddy Roosevelt owned one while he was president of the USA

Tenterfield:

They are the most recent breed to achieve ANKC recognition and are only recognised in Australia

They can be born with any length of tail from none at all to full length if the parents carry the NBT gene.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No because Razor looks scary he wont eat your children. Please allow your child to pull and tug at his widdle ears all he will do is cry louder than your child ever possibly could. No he is not a good guard dog, he fears the hose, doesn't bark, and will greet you with a tail wag if you try breaking into my yard.

And to all the grown men in utes who do a double take when they see my dogs with me. Yes they are my dogs. And no neither of them will father a litter of pups with your dog. :laugh:

Oh and pitbulls, am staffs etc are not bred to be human aggressive. They are PITT fighting dogs which means these sick dog fighters like to be in the pit with their dog and watch the action close up. Fighting dogs were not allowed to be aggressive to humans, so media Frack yourselves.

Quick edit to say: What would be the point in having a human aggressive fighting dog so when you pull your dogs apart you lose an arm in the process?

Edited by jackie_a1

That they are more like a monkey/cat hybrid than a dog.

They are fantastic climbers.

And for the 100+ people that have asked me this question when I walk through town... yes they do need to be shaved.

Thats a shame Shaar as the true Crested ( from years ago did not need to be shaved) its only because people wanted the flashy cresting that created the need to shave on most of the modern day Cresteds, another way man has interfered to the detriment of the breed!

and yes they are like monkey climbers lol

:laugh:

I dont get many questions as we are in a small town and well known so I dont really know about some misconceptions.

A few I've had have been:

No, it's a vizsla not a ridgeback (they are nothing like ridgies??)

I don't think many people actually understand the 'velcro' dog thing. Yes, i'm sure all your dogs are loving, affectionate etc. but OMG!! vizss have this nickname for a reason and believe me!!!!! you may think you have a 'velcro' dog, but YOU DON"T :rofl::laugh::rofl::mad cant explain it, you have to experience it!

No, that's a spinone, not a cross blah blah blah. Yes she may look like a dumb blonde, but she is incredibly smart! No it's not a NEW breed, it's an ancient breed.

Used to get the cross thing with my wolfhounds and giant schnauzers. With ACDs everyone was scared of them?? and they were the biggest sooks ever!

My Lakelands were always mistaken for POODLES :laugh::rofl: as were the Irish water spaniel. :laugh:

The worst one I had was that my Rottie was a child killer. My sister said that to me about 12 months ago before I even got her, and among a few other things, that is the reason we do not speak anymore.

Apparently all Rotties are vicious child killers and he partner was once walking a dog who stuck it's head under the fence where a rottie lived and he pulled the lead back out to find a dog with no head.

Did I mention my Rottie loves all the kids in my street and regurlarly comes out to play with them all, and the little 3 year old boy next door is constantly rolling around in my driveway with her!!!

I would love for all people with this misconception to come and watch her with the boy next door.

Guest Pandii

Chicken, I second that.

My girl nearly pees herself when she sees kids of all ages, she loves them so much she shakes, she cuddles up with sick children, and balls ball with healthy ones.

And for the 100+ people that have asked me this question when I walk through town... yes they do need to be shaved.

Thats a shame Shaar as the true Crested ( from years ago did not need to be shaved) its only because people wanted the flashy cresting that created the need to shave on most of the modern day Cresteds, another way man has interfered to the detriment of the breed!

:rofl:

I admit, I chose a hairy hairless over a true hairless because I liked the flashy crest and boots. He isn't hairy like a normal dog, the way I explain it to people is he gets about the same amount of hair you get on your legs or arms on his body. When he hasn't been shaved it confuses people because he has that fine down of hair so he mustn't be a 'hairless dog'

I give up keeping Cyrus in a puppy pen... if we aren't in the room with him, he's not in the pen! :laugh:

No, Labrador Retrievers don't come trained like a guide dog :rofl: - you do actually have to train them :laugh:

They all aren't the boisterious, over the top, knockdown young kids/not suitable for young families, destructive, mouthy, chewing machines that so many dolers make them out to be, particularly in the "what is a suitable breed for me" type threads :rofl:

Edited by labsrule

:rofl:

I admit, I chose a hairy hairless over a true hairless because I liked the flashy crest and boots. He isn't hairy like a normal dog, the way I explain it to people is he gets about the same amount of hair you get on your legs or arms on his body. When he hasn't been shaved it confuses people because he has that fine down of hair so he mustn't be a 'hairless dog'

I give up keeping Cyrus in a puppy pen... if we aren't in the room with him, he's not in the pen! :laugh:

lol oh yes the puppy pen and the cresteds! lol try a bloody huge 25 kilo Monkey!

I get the "oh so you shaved your dogs ?" " Yeah mate Do you know how long it takes to shave your legs, Yeah I shaved my whole dog! "

They aren't Australian, and they aren't border collies.

I agree with this Gayle, and also add...

No, I didn't chop off half her tail (she has a long bob tail)

No, she is not a husky cross dalmation ! (merle with blue eyes!)

Yes, she can see out of her blue eyes... what colour are yours! Blue? Can you see fine?

The best way to stop an ACD from chasing and nipping your ankles, is to stand still, not try to run faster.

If you give a demanding ACD a treat, it will demand more treats from you. LOUDLY. It will not leave you alone because you gave it a treat.

It is possible to train an ACD not to chase joggers, bicycles, cars. But you must have something it likes to chase more and the best treats in the world.

ACD will chop flat webbing lead into pieces with less than three bites/cuts.

ACD could pull sleds.

So can staffies. In fact an SBT can pull a big esky with no wheels, full of beer and ice across a grass oval. Handy when you're packing up. Not so handy when you're trying to kick a footy without help from the dog.