What Don't Most People Know About Your Breed?

RallyValley

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone out there, what is something most people don't know about your breed?

I would love to get some new tibits of information and I love haring about breeds from the people who live with them. :cheer:

that Bull Terriers DO come in colour and Atlas is not a SBT X Bull Terrier :rofl:

That Irish Wolfhounds are larcenous dogs. The only safe place for things is on top of the fridge. Oh, and the average male can hide half a kilo of bacon in their mouth with no bits sticking out and no telltale bulge.

:rofl::cheer:

YES Border Collies can live happily in suburbia! They do not need acres and acres to run around on. Trust me mine live on acreage and spend their lives lounging around the house!

YES my Whippet is meant to be this lean and NO I am not mean and starve her!!!!

It is not a French Poodle....they actually originated from Germany!

It not a king or giant Poodle.....its a Standard Poodle!

And lastly.....no it is definately not a Labdradoodle :rofl: Argh!!!

Lol thats what I get, Labradoodle or Choclate Lab or Curly Coat!

Chesapeakes are an American breed that can be traced back to two newfoundlands who shipwrecked off the Chesapeake bay in 1807 and the first standard for the Chesapeake Bay Ducking Dog was drawn up in 1877, so they are quite an old breed!.So they do not come from Labs (however they have St Johns Water dog and newf in them which labs do also)

My Lappie does have a lot of fur to shed, but I don't notice it nearly as much as my shorter-haired, smaller Vallhund. The Lappie's dropped fur gets caught up in the rest of his coat and so often doesn't make it to the ground until I brush it out. When it does it is in the form of a fluffy ball that is much easier to pick up.

The Vallhund is mostly a cattle herding breed. That's why he's such a hardcore, game little thing at the dog park. They are bold and outgoing and just dive right on in.

Oh don't even get me started on bull terrier misconceptions!

I just cleared out the vet clinic - Walked in and a few of the people in the waiting room told the reception they will go and wait outside :rofl:

While Atlas walked in, jumped on the chair next to me and fell asleep~

Oh don't even get me started on bull terrier misconceptions!

I just cleared out the vet clinic - Walked in and a few of the people in the waiting room told the reception they will go and wait outside :rofl:

While Atlas walked in, jumped on the chair next to me and fell asleep~

Oh yes that happened to me a few times too, that and people moving way off the path to give you a wide berth on walks :cheer: I loved it when my normally quite standoffish vet would come out of the office and squeal "ATLAS!!! WHERE'S MY ATTIE-WATTIE BOY!? WHERE IS HE?! DERE HE IS CMERE YOU BIG SQUISHY BOOTIFUL BOY" and then get on the floor while he climbed in her lap and licked her face, tail wagging madly etc while the entire waiting room watched in astonishment :cheer:

Guest belgian.blue

That she isn't a black Lassie, nor a black GSD and no she doesn't shed hair everywhere and need brushing everyday!

About the greyhounds:

No they do not bite, it is just an outdated law that says they have to be muzzled.

No they do not need much exercise, they generally like lounging around in a warm sunny spot most of the time.

No mine will not try to eat your small fluffy dog (but I wouldn't trust them with your cat).

About the greyhounds and the whippet:

No they are not starving, you are supposed to be able to see their ribs, they are perfectly healthy

Yes they do need to wear the coat, I am not just playing 'dress-ups' with my dogs

About the whippet:

No she is not a baby greyhound

And something else a lot of people don't know - greyhounds and whippets do not have a 'doggy' odour, mine only get bathed once or twice a year yet they never smell :rofl:

Edited by Daisy

About the greyhounds:

No they do not bite, it is just an outdated law that says they have to be muzzled.

No they do not need much exercise, they generally like lounging around in a warm sunny spot most of the time.

No mine will not try to eat your small fluffy dog (but I wouldn't trust them with your cat).

About the greyhounds and the whippet:

No they are not starving, you are supposed to be able to see their ribs, they are perfectly healthy

Yes they do need to wear the coat, I am not just playing 'dress-ups' with my dogs

About the whippet:

No she is not a baby greyhound

And something else a lot of people don't know - greyhounds and whippets do not have a 'doggy' odour, mine only get bathed once or twice a year yet they never smell :rofl:

Yep - Vader NEVER smelt. He loved his bath's though which is why he got them, and he insisted on being furminated when Sophie got brushed even though he didn't have much coat to brush - hahaha. My favourite discovery about Greyhounds was the "eargasm" that they have when you stick a finger in their ear and twist - the shudderding shaking loud low groaning from Vader was quite X-rated!!!!

yes the ear thing :rofl: Also, a lot of greyhounds will not sit at all, it is not a naturally comfortable position for them, however most can be trained to sit with some patience I believe (I have actually never bothered with mine). And the teeth chattering thing they do, hard to describe....

Edited by Daisy