Barking Dog Complaint

doggleworth

My dh got home from work at lunch to find a letter from our neighbours. It is complaining that our little dog barks for 3-4 minutes in the morning when we leave for work. They are complaining that he has been doing it over the last week. They went onto our property this morning and filmed him barking, which i am sure encouraged him to bark more as they would have had to be very close to do that as our house is elevated at the front.

Our border collie died last Tuesday so for the last week he has been alone for a few hours in the morning. I understand that he is suffering separation anxiety, and we are taking steps to look at adopting a rescue dog shortly (we were planning on doing this anyway and had been looking last year but are looking at dogs this weekend). He only barks for a couple of minutes though, never barks at night, is always in at night, and isn't a nuisance barker. Our neighbour on the other side has said she never even hears him, and that there is no problem. We suspect that the complaining neighbours just don't like dogs.

In the past year since moving in there we have made sure the dogs were in at night, and have installed screening on their side of the fence so our border collie couldn't "look through" the small gaps in the fence at the children because they complained that she looked at them. We have also had to stop allowing our dogs on the front deck because their children bark at our dogs to goad them to bark back. Our dogs can't see the street from our house so don't bark at anything happening down there as they can't see or hear it.

What more can we do? I am at my wits end right now, i am so upset at having to leave Ranger on his own to go to work and have been leaving early, dh is coming home at lunch as often as possible, we are walkign him and playing with him. He is on his own for a few hours in the morning and a couple in the afternoon. We know he is missing our other dog as much as we are, but we can't bring her back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else we can do that is reasonable?

Wait a second.. these people actually came onto your property and filmed your dog?! Isn't that kind of.. illegal? I'd be contacting my lawyers if someone told me they had done that, it's a huge invasion of privacy.

They sound very picky.. why would they have a problem with your dog looking at their kids!? Seems very odd. And your dogs cant go on YOUR deck because their kids bark at them to stir them up - did I read that right? Completely ridiculous.. these people need a reality check.

Do you have any friends close by with dogs.. ? Perhaps your dog could go 'visiting' while you're at work. I dont work many long days a week but the ones that I do I sent our pup off too a friends house where he has another dog to play with :laugh:.

Hope you are able to resolve the issue soon.. personally I think your neighbours are jerks! Lol

((Edited to fix my crap spelling lol))

Edited by Skitch

I'd be asking for a copy of the footage and then taking it to the police and showing them the morons proof that they trespassed on your property. They can be prosecuted - maybe holding that over their heads will shut them up?

It is complaining that our little dog barks for 3-4 minutes in the morning when we leave for work.

that is not really a viable legal complaint.

They went onto our property this morning and filmed him barking

That is called tresspassing and provocation. Null and void

Our neighbour on the other side has said she never even hears him, and that there is no problem.

Rangers question more then one neighbour before fulfilling a complaint to ensure there really is a problem.

Call the ranger and explain the situation of what she has done, you will find it is harrassment and trespassing.

I would take the letter to the local council & inform them what has happened the steps you have taken & then let them complain.(neighbours)

If they show the video where they are on your property then i would pursue that.

I would allow my dogs back on the verandah & video the kids in action.

I would inform the council of all the steps you have taken due to there complaints over the time .

I am not sure what the legal time for barking is in your area but as they have kisted a time they are stupid

Has their problem with the barking ONLY been the last week since your other dog passed or is it a long standing problem? If it's only recent, I wouldn't be too concerned. Simply write a note back saying why it is occuring and you thank them for letting you know and that you are working to rectify it. However if it's only 5 minutes at a time they must be *really* picky neighbours. They shouldn't have been coming onto your property either.. idiots.

Something similar happened to me after new people bought the house next door. I'd gotten a new rescue pup to keep my old dog company. Then within a month I had an accident that kept me bed ridden for three months. My sister moved in with me to care for me and lost her accom so had to move in permanently with me bringing a third dog. All 3 dogs got used to someone being home.

First week we both went back to work full time I got a letter in my mailbox saying the pup was barking and I should get a shock collar for it. I was incensed. They had also complained to the council. I heard from my cleaning lady that the new neighbour was scared of dogs and they had been tidying up the garden and leaning over the fence, causing the dogs to bark protectively. I was home myself one day and saw and heard her trimming stuff over our side of the fence (OCD anyone?) and yelling at my sister's dog to shut up. I went out, gave her a look, called all the dogs inside and slammed the door. I decided not to buy into her issues as our dogs really weren't doing anything 'wrong'.

The new owner has never even lived there. The house has been rented and I have had no complaints from the renters or any other neighbours (we actually live in a street where nearly every house as a couple of dogs). Our dogs stay inside at night and are fenced back from the street. I have no doubt there was some initial settling in for the new pack after we both went back to full time work, causing some noise and told the council that. They seemed to think that was reasonable and that otherwise we were being responsible pet owners. There have been no other complaints or council checks and we have continued to manage our dogs as we always have, ignoring the owners next door when they turn up.

Some people don't like animals. Some people like to complain. I found the council really understanding and I doubt they would consider a few minutes of barking as a real 'nuisance'. Why not get them to come around and check when you are not home if there is an actual problem and get their advice? If your dog is truly being a nuisance then more than one neighbour would be complaining. Don't let your neighbour dictate your life - you and your dog have rights too. And try not to be rude or angry back to them as that feeds some people. You might well find your neighbours complain a lot more than just your dog.

I agree with showdog - go to the council, tell them what has happened and what you are doing about. I'd also let them know that you've made the effort to check with the other neighbours who haven't noticed this alleged problem.

I know all council's are different in their views but if you are making appropriate effort to resolve, there's nothing better than when your neighbours complain to the council and are told that "yes, we know all about it, the owner has been very cooperative and is working with us to resolve the situation".

I'd check what the council's definition of nuisance dog noise is - I'm sure it would be more than 3-4 minutes in the morning - I think Nekhbet may be right in saying it would not be a viable nuisance claim but it's better to try and sort it out with the council prior to escalation. I agree that people should be entitled to quiet enjoyment of their property but a bit of barking for such a short period does not constitute their veracity. Is there maybe a Kong or treat toy you can give him when you leave to occupy him?

I wouldn't go down the path of saying anything to your neighbour at this stage - if they're this picky, you don't want them to become more vindictive and the situation to deteriorate however, you may like to consider maybe putting up a "Private Property - Keep Out" sign just to give them a subtle message :laugh:

Good luck - I hope it all works out without too much difficulty.

Experiencing a similar problem at present, though in my case they went straight to council. However i did finally get to speak to the ranger and he explained the processes that have to be gone through before any action can be taken, it does sound like unreasonable complaints are recognised as such. Apparently my dogs sleeping in the house bark all night and keep them awake, and they never leave the yard. Shame these people who are awake all night dont look out their windows to see us dragging ourselves to walk, train and trial at all hours of darkness.

When i moved here i was told by one neighbour that another has major animal issues among other issues. Since then i have spent 6 years accomodating her, my dogs only have access to one-third of my yard when Im not home so she cant see them, my cats are confined to the house so she cant come into yard and trap them, we dont play music or use dryer after 9pm so she can sleep, we have never had a party or even bbq outside after 8 so her kids can sleep. All i can say is life is going to be changing around here, give an inch and they will just want a mile. It would be nice if there was a listing of unreasonable complainants we could all check before moving house.

Do you want to escalate the problem or resolve it? If you involve the police or council, brace for further trouble. All the righteous indignation in the world isn't going to improve the relationship with your neighbours.

My advice:

1. Go and talk to the neighbours.

2. Thank them for contacting you direct rather than going to council

3. Apologise for the inconvenience caused by your dog and explain that his friend has just died and that you'll do whatever you can to fix the barking.

4. Encourage them to keep a diary of his barking and to contact you by phone if there are further incidents.

Now for the dog.

1. I babysit a dog that howls uncontrollably when I leave unless I stop him. Because he's a pig it's not difficult. I scatter a handful of kibble on the back lawn and by the time the dogs have found and scoffed it, I'm gone.

2. As he is an only dog atm, I'd be setting him up with something like a kong filled with treats. If you can get him distracted when you go, the problem may resolve itself.

when my neighbors got there rescue it honestly barked from the time they left till the time the got home, about 5 hours non stop. It drove me mad for about 2 months but not once did i complain as i knew the dog would take some time to adjust and now it dosent make a peep.

Same deal with the neighbors on the other side, two very vocal staffys. that squall and scream every morning when the owners leave for work and the same when they get home. still i would never complain as i expect they would do the same for me.

They really have no grounds to stand on if its only been a week or so, tell them your having some problems as your other dog passed and they will have to put up with it. Nothing more nothing less. As for them filming your dog. haha who do they think they are. that's ridicules

Do you want to escalate the problem or resolve it? If you involve the police or council, brace for further trouble. All the righteous indignation in the world isn't going to improve the relationship with your neighbours.

My advice:

3. Apologise for the inconvenience caused by your dog and explain that his friend has just died and that you'll do whatever you can to fix the barking.

4. Encourage them to keep a diary of his barking and to contact you by phone if there are further incidents.

Now for the dog.

1. I babysit a dog that howls uncontrollably when I leave unless I stop him. Because he's a pig it's not difficult. I scatter a handful of kibble on the back lawn and by the time the dogs have found and scoffed it, I'm gone.

2. As he is an only dog atm, I'd be setting him up with something like a kong filled with treats. If you can get him distracted when you go, the problem may resolve itself.

This has got to be the most sensible advise you could possibly recieve. :laugh: I completly agree - this way you are addressing the neighbours and making them feel like you care about them (whether you do or not) and ensuring your pining pup wont get a camera shoved over the fence again as well. Charlie used to howl when we left, but scattering kibble worked really well for him too. Also, we got him a larger than normal snuggy toy, seemed to help. Getting police/council involved is a waste of your time, and theirs' in this type of situation.

Edited by jacquilee81

the filming thing is an interesting one, as in the leaflet the council sent me one of the courses of action that the complainant is asked to do is to film the dog barking.

yep they can film the dog barking but they must not trespass on your property to get the video, and trespassing includes leaning over the fence

J81:

This has got to be the most sensible advise you could possibly recieve. I completly agree - this way you are addressing the neighbours and making them feel like you care about them (whether you do or not) and ensuring your pining pup wont get a camera shoved over the fence again as well.

I'd be less worried about a camera coming over the fence than a bait. Here's the facts - you're not there during the day, you dog is and so are your neighbours. Do what you have to do to keep your dog safe, even if the complaint IS frivolous. Your dog is at their mercy.

Edited by poodlefan

My advice:

Now for the dog.

Sounds a good first plan :laugh:

thanks for your advice everyone. The neighbours did definitely trespass as the only way to film the dog barking in the house would be to walk all the way onto our front deck which is elevated and some 25 metres from the street. You can't see in our house from the street or any other vantage point as our yard is fully fenced with hedging over the top making it very private.

I have tried the treats but my little dog is not food motivated at the moment and it is a struggle to get him to eat anything at all.

I tried giving him his squeaky ball this morning but he wasn't playful.

I will go and talk to them this afternoon, and hopefully they will be reasonable as our dog really doesn't bark much at all. We asked our neighbour on the other side and she said she has never really heard them bark.

The neighbour in his letter has told us to equip a citronella collar on our dog-i don't really think that is reasonable for a dog barking for less than 5 minutes once a day.

I do everything i can to avoid my dogs being nuisances-i have lived next door to a dog who barked 24/7 and so i understand how annoying that can be. Our dog is 7 and he has never had anyone complain about his barking before these neighbours.

I think that tomorrow i may send dh off to work and wait at the bottom of our property to listen for him barking so i can get an idea of when he is doing it and for how long. He won't be able to see me if i am on the street. It will also give me an idea of if the neighbours are responding/filming him again so i can address that.

• 1 month later...

Well just resurrecting this old thread.

The neighbours went to council. I came home today to a note from council to call them regarding complaints about our dogs barking.

Since my last update we got a tiny rescue dog as a companion for our other small dog. We have installed a babygate at the end of the hall so the dogs cannot go to the side of the house where the complaining neighbours live and they have no line of sight to the property at all. Dh has been coming home in the middle of the day for 4 hours 2 days a week, and I have been coming home early (by about 4.15pm). The neighbour on the other side has confirmed that they don't make noise, and we asked her homebody son but he said he hasn't heard them either.

The dogs honestly never bark when we are at home. In the 15 minutes it takes me to walk home from the station i can hear many dogs barking in my street, but complete silence when i approach our home as the dogs are asleep.

I really am at my wits end trying to work out how else to manage the dogs since they have really limited access to anything when we are out, we have them crated at night and the neighbours have admitted to the barking being only a couple of minutes at a time.

We have lived here for just over a year, and really can't afford to sell up and move, but i can't stand living next door to such horrible people. When they heard that Seven had died from a neighbour they said "well at least she won't be barking anymore".