Meet My Foster Girl .. And A Bit Of A Vent For Good Measure

Here’s my little Chinese Crested foster girl, Banshee (re-named ‘cause she’s a screamer) ...

banshee1.jpgbanshee1-1.jpg

After being messed around for 2 months by this little girl's owner, I finally have Banshee in my care. The owner first came into my shop in February and asked me if I wanted her dog, and if I didn't, she was going to advertise her (un-desexed) in the paper. I was worried that she could be picked up by a puppy farmer or BYB. At the time I said I could probably foster, desex and re-home her as long as she got along with my dogs and wasn't in season. As the weeks, then months, went by we made several appointments to introduce the dogs and she continually cancelled or didn't show up. She rarely answered her phone when I tried to ring her and didn't respond to text messages. When I did speak to her she told me conflicting stories.

She also has a young un-desexed male pug x at home, so I was concerned that the more time that passed the closer Banshee would get to coming into season. A week ago, on Sunday night, when I finally got her to turn up to the park for the initial meet-up so her dog could meet my crew, she arrived half an hour late, with a friend, both dressed to the nines with the hair extentions and the stillettos, on their way for a night out. It became obvious that the lady had plans and had no intentions of taking the dog home with her. Banshee was very obviously in season.

Amongst other gob-smacking statements, the owner said she had no idea that Banshee was in season (she was very surprised when I showed her the enormous bleeding golf ball at Banshee's rear), couldn't remember if she'd microchipped her, wasn't sure of her age ('one or two'), didn't think she'd been in season before (!), wasn't sure what dry food she ate and didn't know when her last vaccination, heartworm or worming was. I'm guessing that Banshee wasn't a loved, pampered, indoor dog as the owner said. If she lived indoors the owner would absolutely know that this dog was in season!

She also brought Banshee to the park with nothing, no lead, bowl, toys, blanket, paperwork ... nothing.

Luckily the dogs got on okay, but it's been quite an ordeal since Sunday night. The owner said she was an indoor dog and was fully toilet trained ... well, she's not. She also limps a bit and frequently lifts her back left leg when walking. She stands and walks a bit hunched up, and walks with short, quick steps. Her first few poops were jet black and she has several scars and scabs on her feet and lower legs. She was scared of the lead, is extremely wary of other people and is a fear biter. Her collar had to be peeled off as it was stuck to her neck with black grime. Her skin hasn't been exfoliated or moisturised in a very long time. And of course she's in season.

She's fine with me, but has already bitten two people, Sarge's breeder and the vet. She gets scared very easily and goes into some sort of panic frenzy, thrashing her head and body around and screaming at the top of her lungs. If anyone's hand is near her during this time, she will bite it. She tries to bite first, and if that doesn't work she goes into the frenzy.

At the vet's she also peed during one of her frenzies. The vet said she'd wait until Banshee is under anaesthetic for desexing and then she'll do her vaccinations, microchip (she isn't chipped), health check, etc. She's pretty sure Banshee's back leg has a cruciate injury and says not to walk her just yet. I've got her on glucosamine and condroitin powder.

At the moment I'm bringing Banshee into the shop with me as I don't want to leave her home alone with my crew just yet. I bought a nylon crate for her to sit in at the shop, but when I went to serve a customer she screeched and tore at the crate until she broke through it. After I repaired it, she broke through it again.

Apart from what her former owner has turned her into, Banshee is a gorgeous girl, affectionate (with me) and very smart. I've been using Cesar Milan's 'calm/assertive' techniques and she's responding really well to them at home. I'm not sure what sort of predicament we're in now because I don’t know if I can re-home her with her fear biting, panic frenzies and possible cruciate injury.

She's getting along very well with my 3 Cresteds, although she sometimes pesters Sarge until he snaps at her (I'm assuming this is because she's in season? .. Sarge is desexed by the way) The vet says it will be at least another two weeks before Banshee can be desexed, so I won't leave them all alone together until after she's been done.

Here's some pics of her at home ...

apologies for the lack of colour co-ordination, Banshee is wearing Sarge's blue shirt that's too small for him, and Sarge is wearing Madeline's pink shirt as his were in the wash.

feeding1.jpgallfour1.jpgbp1.jpgmpb1.jpg

Any advice or suggestions are welcome...

Edited by yellowgirl

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ams

Bless you for taking on this little girl to start with. I think it is safe to say she is going to be a long term rehab case for you. Perhaps pm one of the DOL behaviourists and get some good pointers on how to address her issues correctly as it sounds like she is going to need some solid and knowledgeable training and guidance.

I won't offer advice as I am not a qualified trainer and know nothing of this breed, but I think it is going to be a steep learning curve for you and I hope it all works out to the best. Just remember if at some point you need to make the decision she can't be rehomed then you have at the very least given her more care, love and security than her previous owners did.

I don't have any advice or suggestions sorry, just wanted to say that it was great of you taking Banshee in as it sounds like she is so much better off with you. That bit about the collar is pretty disgusting! :laugh:

That last pic is great and your pups look so cool in their shirts!

No real advice from me except to again suggest that you might want to get in a trainer, someone on DOL will no doubt have a recommendation.

This way you can set up a plan of action from the beginning, and work towards setting this little girl up to be rehomed. Or to become a happier healthier dog, living in a state of panic or fear can't be pleasant :cheers:

You are so awesome for taking her on :cheers:!!!!!

And I hope her previous owner gets whats coming to her :laugh: the way some people treats animals astounds me.

Poor little girl. :laugh: I don't have any advice about her behaviour, but I would not desex and vaccinate at the same time. Its a lot for her little immune system to deal with and is she is a stress-head, well that will make it even worse. I'd get her vacc'd now or wait a few week after she is desexed. :cheers:

Thanks so much guys, just that bit of support from people who understand has made me feel better :cheers: . I don't regret taking Banshee for a second, it's just a bit more of an ordeal than I'd anticipated.

If she can't be safely re-homed and she continues to fit in with my crew, I will keep her. It will be a bit of a financial blow not to be able to recoup the vet costs, etc but the universe often drops unexpected surprises in my lap and I guess Banshee is now in my care for a reason, so I'm sure the universe has some kind of plan to pay my bills :laugh: . Whatever happens, this little girl is worth it.

Banshee is responding to me and settling in really well at home but I think it's good advice about contacting a behaviourist/trainer to make sure I can give her what she needs to become more confident in the outside world.

My first Crested, Madeline, needed a lot of work to overcome her fear issues, but she wasn't a biter. I've had several timid dogs, but never one that bit anyone, so this is a new one for me.

Kirty, I'll discuss the vacc with my vet. The reason she suggested doing everything at once though was because when she gave Banshee a hormone injection to try to cut her season short (didn't work tho), she went into a total panic when the needle went in. That was when she was in such a frenzy that she peed herself as well. The vet ended up having to muzzle her just to get the injection in properly :cheers:

I don't have any advice or suggestions sorry, just wanted to say that it was great of you taking Banshee in as it sounds like she is so much better off with you. That bit about the collar is pretty disgusting! :laugh:

That last pic is great and your pups look so cool in their shirts!

I don't have any helpful suggestions for you except to say: thank god Banshee is with you.

I have plenty for the previous owner, but actually I have read where a lot of people with hair extensions are going bald because the extensions are pulling their own hair out - so hopefully this will happen to her. Alternatively (or as well :D ) she might fall off her shoes.

Aren't I horrible, but she has done horrible things to Banshee, if not intentionally, by serious neglect and lack of love and decency.

Again: well done Yellowgirl. Your exquisite little family is growing LOL.

Having met Banshee on Friday I can add that she has definetley fallen on her paws landing int he caring hands of someone like you Jo - she looks to have a sweet personality under that stressed out nature and I am 99% sure that she will become (actually already is) a much loved member of your little pack :laugh:

I remember you posting about this little girl before. I am sooo glad you finally have her in your care. I hope she continues to make progress with you. Your little pack look so cute in their coats!!

What lovely photos. Thankyou for sharing that story. That little girl is so lucky she found you. She looks so happy snuggled up. Love the shirts they look great :laugh:

Good luck with this little girl and add my prayers that the former owner goes bald and falls of her platform and has to wear flip flops for the rest of her life!!!! My local rescue group worm, deflea, vaccinate and desex together out of necessity with no issues

Good Luck with everything. I always reccomend help from a behaviourist when dealing with any types of Behavioural issues especially if she's meant to be re-homed as you can't rehome a dog who will bite people...good on you for giving this pooch a go.

Just don't baby the dog, I'd give it a decent dose if ignoring whilst it settles in.