Will You?

W Sibs

I *think* I would, but it would be very hard. If it can help other dogs/familys then I would like to be able to help. I think it is a reasonable request to want the cremated remains returned (at no expense to you).

It's a hard decision and what ever one you make will be the right one :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents donated our much loved family dog to "science" she was riddled with cancer. This was at the after hours Vet hospital at Murdoch, WA.

Mum and Dad would have rather buried her at home but they were living with my Aunt just before their move to the East Coast (from Perth).

I was a bit upset about it at first but believe that once she passed her doggy spirit had run off to the rainbow bridge and all that was left was her sick, old body.

I do sincerely hope that my beautiful girl was treated with some dignity even though she may have been "only a dog" and had died.

I would. I've lost two pets so far and didn't take either body home. As far as I'm concerned, once the life has gone from their body I don't want anything to do with it. I have a box of things to remember Penny by, and I have photos and videos of her, and I have all the good times and bad times my family and I shared with her. What is a body? Nothing to me. Nothing at all. Everything that was Penny is in my head, now. Everything that was Penny left her little body along with her last breath. I don't know what happened to her body and I don't even think about it. I never wonder.

That's me, though. You just have to be comfortable with whatever you decide. There's no right or wrong answer.

I did. Our nearly 23 yr old small mixed breed dog....originally a rescue as a puppy...was a patient at a university vet clinic in her last couple of years.

Named 'Grandma', by that stage (she'd dropped her name 'Tessa' at 13 yrs).

When she died, the university asked, respectfully, could they perform an autopsy for research study purposes as it was rare for them to see such an elderly dog. Certain organs & samples would be retained. We agreed.

Her ashes were returned to us, in a very nice container. With a lovely letter of thanks from the university.

Meanwhile, 'Grandma's' story & pic were written up in the campus newsletter because the staff came to love her...& she, them.

'Gran' would have been delighted to know that her 'friends' at the university would continue to learn something important about dogs, thanks to her.

I think I could live with this, but I couldn't do it if I didn't get her back.

My fist reaction was NO! But...when I think about it, maybe I would. One of our cats died very suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago. We had no idea why, so we had an autopsy done on her just to get some answers and make sure it wasn't a disease that could have spread to our other cat. We took the body back after and buried her in the garden.

My bond and attachment to Spence is much stronger than it was with Fluffy, and while it would be incredibly hard to do I think I would let the vets learn what they could from him. As long as I got his ashes back.

I would and also ask for the ashes back.

Years ago I wanted an autopsy doen on my Burmese cat by Werribbee. The would have done the autopsy but I could not have the body back. So I did not do it.

With Charlie he might have the disease named after him. :)

I would, definitely! It would seem like such a good opportunity to help other dogs, couldn't say no to that. I dont have a real connection to the bodies of pets when they die.. in my opinion it's just all that's left behind and if that can be put to good use I'd have no hesitation.

I would and also ask for the ashes back.

Years ago I wanted an autopsy doen on my Burmese cat by Werribbee. The would have done the autopsy but I could not have the body back. So I did not do it.

With Charlie he might have the disease named after him. :)

I will never want any dog or other animal to ever have the 'Charles Wentworth Disease'

I think this decision is a decision I will make when the time comes. But, it's great to read all your replies. Also, it's little comforting to know that you can ask for the body back.

Edited by charleswentworth

When our cocker spaniel had to be PTS after the trauma of numerous fits over several days due to epilepsy our vet persuaded my mum to allow her to take the body to Sydney University for the vets to do an autopsy and in particular study her brain. This was over 30 years ago and I hope that Cindy's body was able to help further research into the study of epilepsy in dogs.

Personally I couldnt. I have to cremate, it's a personal choice thing where i want my passed on dogs to be with me. Not sure if that's weird sounding or not, but just how i feel about my girl not being with me. I have cremated both dogs i've had PTS and have the ashes in my bedroom.

I wouldn't, except in exceptional circumstances (for example, if the information we would gain would directly and immediately save other dog's lives).

I've participated in several canine autopsies, and would find it hard to let anyone do that to my girl. It's respectful enough, but there's nothing pretty about it - it would be very hard for me to bear imagining my own dog's body reduced to chunks of meat.

If I'd never watched autopsies, I'd probably feel differently, since I have no objection to them at all in theory - my objection is purely visceral, I can picture exactly what they'd do to her, and I don't like imagining her chopped up like that.

I even don't like seeing other people's shepherds & staffies being autopsied, since that reminds me of my own dogs too much.

Silly, huh? :laugh:

I wouldn't, except in exceptional circumstances (for example, if the information we would gain would directly and immediately save other dog's lives).

I've participated in several canine autopsies, and would find it hard to let anyone do that to my girl. It's respectful enough, but there's nothing pretty about it - it would be very hard for me to bear imagining my own dog's body reduced to chunks of meat.

If I'd never watched autopsies, I'd probably feel differently, since I have no objection to them at all in theory - my objection is purely visceral, I can picture exactly what they'd do to her, and I don't like imagining her chopped up like that.

I even don't like seeing other people's shepherds & staffies being autopsied, since that reminds me of my own dogs too much.

Silly, huh? :laugh:

that kinda sounds scary.

I most certainly would, and I would like to think most breeders would, if it would help further canine research.

I'm a bit with Corvus and don't need ashes or a body to remember my dog. It is enough for me to hold them through life and as they leave it.

I most certainly would, unequivocally.

It would give me immense pleasure to know that one of my darlings could continue to contribute to doggy-welfare, even in death.

It would not harm them in any way, and in the long run, it's part and parcel of how science learns and thus makes the lives of those who follow healthier and more secure.

I would be honoured,as would my boy and girl, to know that in some way,no matter how small, another dog's life might be bettered by our contribution.

What a tough call for you to have to make, CW.

I think I would. I deal with euthanasia regularly, but even though I've been doing it so long, it's actually become harder for me and I get quite teary during the process. But after it is done, their spirit has gone and what remains is their body.

I have been there for all our 3 dogs being pts and during the process it was painful, but once they were gone, they were gone and I just no longer saw them as who they were. One of them passed away in sudden circumstances and I couldn't handle not knowing what she died from, so I actually helped my vet autopsy afterwards.

That would be an incredibly hard decision to make.

I could sit here and say "Yeah, I'd do it". But I honestly wouldn't know how I'd feel if it were one of my dogs.

It's such a personal thing and a decision that could only be made by the owner of the dog. There is no right or wrong answer. Your feelings at the time need to be taken into consideration, and you may change your mind over and over again.

Thoughts are with you and CW.

I have and I would again, mine was a horse we had a very special history and a really strong bond to this day I still can't explain how I knew the moment he had injured himself on the track when I was over 500ks away, when he passed he was only 7 and although we knew why he had to be pts it was very strange circumstances due to him being so young so I was asked by a farrier that also worked for a university if they could have his bones to study, I said ok I felt ill for a few days thinking about It but he invited me to come and see what they had done with him, I went to the uni and they had compleatly reconstuted his skeleton on a trolly with a little plaque with a little pome and his name on it they also gave me a bracelet made out of his mane as a thankyou from the uni. As far as I know he is still there being used and helping others learn.

It is a really hard decision and I feel for you having to make it, but if there is a slim chance he may help others with this disease I wouldn't be able to say no

Edited by SBT303