Will You?

W Sibs

My head would want to but my heart would probably say no, I don't think I could have one of my pugs die and then allow her body to be used like that even though I realise how beneficial it would be.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a decision i would have to make before the time came. I would want to know what they wanted to do with the body - what sort of samples etc they would be doing. I would want to know what they hoped to learn from looking at the dog.

I would also insist on getting the ashes back.

Once i knew what they had planned, then I would take the decision. If asked at the time of death, I would probably say no, but this is something that needs more thinking about with a clear head.

I saw an article on the same for humans, but 6 months later ashes or remains are returned to the family and a service is held for all the people.

It's a huge gift for families and donors to give in a time of sadness.

It's a big call, if I could muster the courage to say yes, I'd ask for my dog to be returned asap.

I like to think I would be brave enough. But I couldn't guarantee it.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. It had actually never occured to me that you could do such a thing!

I wouldn't, except in exceptional circumstances (for example, if the information we would gain would directly and immediately save other dog's lives).

I've participated in several canine autopsies, and would find it hard to let anyone do that to my girl. It's respectful enough, but there's nothing pretty about it - it would be very hard for me to bear imagining my own dog's body reduced to chunks of meat.

If I'd never watched autopsies, I'd probably feel differently, since I have no objection to them at all in theory - my objection is purely visceral, I can picture exactly what they'd do to her, and I don't like imagining her chopped up like that.

I even don't like seeing other people's shepherds & staffies being autopsied, since that reminds me of my own dogs too much.

Silly, huh? :eek:

that kinda sounds scary.

Nah, it's normally fascinating, not scary. Unless it's a dog that looks like my girl! Then it kind of freaks me out a little. :cry:

As a student I have worked with human bodies that have been donated. I must say it is done very respectfully and everyone (staff/students) appreciates the gift that is helping educate the future.

The most important thing would be to find out if/what they want to retain (e.g skeleton) and what will be returned cremated.

CW - what you really love about Charlie is his spirit, his character, his personality. This is all encompassed in his body, which is the vessel his spirit, character and personality uses to get around, to become known and to be seen. No matter what occurs to his body, what you love about him cannot be dissected, destroyed nor changed. In other threads I have said, and so have you, that it seems Charlie was sent to this earth for a special reason. I think it would be the ultimate if, even after his passing, his legend could live on by what he has been able to reveal to us.

But this is a personal choice - for you and only you to decide upon. There would be no right or wrong of it.

And "long live Charlie" ...... I hope he continues to defy all the Scientists and Vets out there by showing them just what effect a determined, positive and life loving attitude can have :eek: .

Edited by Erny

I'm pretty sure I would be ok with donating my dogs body to science.

Meg was PTS at home on Black Saturday evening. She then spent the night in my room. By the next morning, Meg had definitly left her poor tired old body and it didn't look or feel like her at all anymore...I think thats why I could donate the body as my girl just wasn't in it any more!

I would - imagine if your dog's body is the one that helps hundreds of other dogs. Even if it's just contributing to the cause, it's still a part of it. I would donate Zero's body but I would want some time with him before anything happened. I would also like to have his ashes back when they've finished their research on him because I'd like to scatter them somewhere that he would like.

Well, it's a very personal decision really. Me personally? I'd say yes.

Mainly because I'm on the organ donor register so have already signed up to being recycled when I die. :provoke:

When our family dog died, we were so devistated we didn't even think to get an autopsy or donate him to science. It would have been incredibly difficult, but going from personal experience, I think the pain of a death with no answers (or limited answers) is much worse than if you knew more / could help other dogs with it.

• 2 years later...

I imagine we'll be in this position shortly. Given that at this point we don't know what is wrong, if by donating her body to science they can figure that out, then it would be a gift for dogs and owners alike.

I don't want the body back. To me, once the essence of her is gone, the body is just the shell she walked around in. I'll have memories, videos and photos.

I'm not sure how you go about it though.

It is very interesting to read everyones replies and to see that there are not many like Corvus and myself who think that once the spirit has gone it is just a body - my memories and photos are what remain of my dog - we had our girls cremated but did not get the ashes back.

I think it is very good to be thinking and talking about the decision well before it has to be made - wishing CW many more happy years

This is a bit raw for me having only lost my boy last week :( But I'm not sure what I would have said if the vet had asked. As it is, they couldn't figure out in the end exactly what made him sick. He had a biopsy a few days before he died so some investigations were possible, and both the vet and the pathologist were very interested from a medical point of view and really tried to find the answer. Even those conversations with the vet I found really difficult, and when I said that to my family they reminded me that hopefully it would help other dogs in a similar situation. Which did help. So I like to think I could say yes, but equally being in that grieving period right now I know it would be a tough one.