What To Do If A Dog Off Lead Attacks Your Dog

We had a pretty scary encounter the other day. We were out walking our two beagles, on lead, my husband walks the dogs and I was walking with pram and our baby. We were nearly home when two dogs off lead came charging towards us and grabbed one of our dogs by the neck. Our two dogs were hurt, not seriously, one of them had a cut that was bleeding on his side and one his nose and the other had his foot cut. There were no owners of the two other dogs. My husband tried to pull our dogs away and eventually, they ran off.

We don't want this to happen again but also don't want to stop walking our dogs, as they need a walk.

What do you do in this situation. Is there any kind of spray or something that you can buy if this was to happen again.

Thanks in advance.

When a threatening dog approaches, try to place your body between your own dogs and the attacking dog. That will give all the dogs the signal that you are in control, and hopefully that will also encourage everyone to settle down.

You could carry a big umbrella. If the dog keeps approaching, lunge forwards and press the catch and pop the umbrella in the dog's face. That will deter most dogs, and hopefully give them a bit of a fright.

If a fight ensues, close the umbrella, at least you will then have a big pointy stick to use.

I get between my dogs and the oncoming dog, and then let loose. As a rule I wear shoes whenever I walk my two. And I don't make apologies for it.

I even had one lady tear strips off me in public after I tried to kick her dog after it rushed at my two after dark with a menacing growl. She carried on like a pork chop for so long and loud that people came out onto their balcony's and were just laughing at her.

My two were calm behind me and her dog was going nuts. I just asked her if she had finished her rant as I would like to continue my walk, that just incensed her further. Told me she would call the police as I had attacked her dog..... :-) Then I stupidly said if I had actually landed any of my kicks her dog would be a lot quieter than it currently was and that I was more than happy to save her the money and call the police on her behalf from my phone....... Again that was just throwing petrol onto the fire.... :laugh:

I've had this happen a few times whilst walking our two dogs on lead, and it is pretty hair raising so I sympathise with you miss shel!

I've always gotten in front of my dogs (not easy while they're going crazy as well trying to get away) and roared my lungs out at the offending dogs..including a fair amount of swearing :laugh: The off lead attackers have always backed off so far. Leaves you with a sore throat though afterwards :D

There are 2 aggressive dogs around the corner from me who are always out and about roaming, so I have taken to carrying a big stick too with me now when I go walking in that particular direction. I make no apologies either for wanting to protect myself and my dogs, especially against repeat offenders (some bloody owners who think their dogs can roam around at will make my blood boil!).

We had the same problem a few years back.

What I did after the dog approached and tried to grab Riley, was stand infront of Riley (quite easy - Riley's such a sook so was practically hiding) , and growled really loud at the dog. It was enough to make the other dog back off a little. I then walked home (luckily not very far) backwards, facing the other dog and keeping Riles behind me.

After that I wouldn't walk Riley by myself for quite a while - now I will, but only along main roads with lots of cars etc. I won't go the back streets in case I come across a off leash dog.

Also, report it to the ranger. I did, the dog that attacked Riley was found - turned out it belonged to a couple that got done for growing/making drugs in their house not long after!

Edited by wagsalot

I carry a big thick chain, very painful for aggressive dog when being smacked over the head with it.......also kick it until it backs off

Nobody is going to hurt my babies when I'm doing the right thing and walking them on lead.

I'm too scared to walk my dogs where I live now. After being bitten and surrounded by 2 vicious dogs who live in my street when I was walking alone, and after seeing many offlead dogs in my area (most who have no owner in sight!), it has terrified me from walking them, so I drive them to my parents place where I feel safer walking them. It's even got me terrified now to walk on my own where I live! :D

I'd carry something nice and pointy with you on your walks if it makes you feel safer. I keep wondering what I can carry in my handbag when I'm walking down my street to the train each morning and afternoon, in case I get bailed up by these dogs (or others) again! It's very scary, and shouldn't happen if owners just kept their bloody dogs onlead or contained within their property! :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

I had the same thing happen yesterday :laugh: Except luckily the owner was there and called the dog back, but this dog was growling and ran straight for Meg- my two werent even fazed, only took mere seconds, but it scared the hell outta me because I've been bitten by dogs before. The owner just stood there and called his dog back and looked at me like I was some daft idiot- even though his dog was offleash and charging.

I always wear sneakers. Normally screaming and kicking will get the job done, but if they are in complete attack mode just gotta do what you can.

I will make no apologies for kicking other peoples dog's when they are being aggressive.

I carry a pop-up umbrella...one that pops up fast with a whooooomp!. Makes a good barrier & the popping noise gives the attacking dog a fright, making it less confident.

Someone posted on another thread that they carry a citronella spray that's specifically for 'sending off' attacking dogs. I'd not heard of this product before.

Edited by mita

Miss Shell citronella spray deters and separates aggressive dogs. They hate it. I advise you buy some if you are worried.

I'll kick a dog square in the head if it shows my boys any aggression. SQUARE in the head.

Carry a big stick around with you or a spare choke chain. Keep it in your pocket and if the dog is running at you swing the choker at its head and aim well.

I have had this happen to me as well, not nice at all. I used my best "fishwife" voice and stood between my dog and the other and growled at the other dog to get away and it worked, however may not next time with a different dog. I read somewhere here where some carry a can of citronella and spray it in the dogs face - could work too.

I'm too scared to walk my dogs where I live now. After being bitten and surrounded by 2 vicious dogs who live in my street when I was walking alone, and after seeing many offlead dogs in my area (most who have no owner in sight!), it has terrified me from walking them, so I drive them to my parents place where I feel safer walking them. It's even got me terrified now to walk on my own where I live! ;)

I'd carry something nice and pointy with you on your walks if it makes you feel safer. I keep wondering what I can carry in my handbag when I'm walking down my street to the train each morning and afternoon, in case I get bailed up by these dogs (or others) again! It's very scary, and shouldn't happen if owners just kept their bloody dogs onlead or contained within their property! :thumbsup:

Hi Rubystar, how horrible. I can't imagine what it feels like to not feel safe walking in your own street and neighbourhood. Take photos, if you can, of these dogs and report to the council - see if you can find out where they live and just keep hammering it home to them each and every day - eventually something will happen. We had a DA and people agreesive dog in our street and the owners didn't have proper fencing and let it roam loose, no collar etc. Several of us in the street just kept on at the council - the dog is now contained behind proper fencing and we never see it anymore.

I'm too scared to walk my dogs where I live now. After being bitten and surrounded by 2 vicious dogs who live in my street when I was walking alone, and after seeing many offlead dogs in my area (most who have no owner in sight!), it has terrified me from walking them, so I drive them to my parents place where I feel safer walking them. It's even got me terrified now to walk on my own where I live! ;)

I'd carry something nice and pointy with you on your walks if it makes you feel safer. I keep wondering what I can carry in my handbag when I'm walking down my street to the train each morning and afternoon, in case I get bailed up by these dogs (or others) again! It's very scary, and shouldn't happen if owners just kept their bloody dogs onlead or contained within their property! :thumbsup:

Hi Rubystar, how horrible. I can't imagine what it feels like to not feel safe walking in your own street and neighbourhood. Take photos, if you can, of these dogs and report to the council - see if you can find out where they live and just keep hammering it home to them each and every day - eventually something will happen. We had a DA and people agreesive dog in our street and the owners didn't have proper fencing and let it roam loose, no collar etc. Several of us in the street just kept on at the council - the dog is now contained behind proper fencing and we never see it anymore.

Well these dogs were standing in their front driveway with no owner in sight and came rushing out across the road to me to "attack" me. So I know where these dogs live. They got reported to the council right away, but all they did was issue a warning to them. The ranger has been out again to follow up on the initial report (saw them at their house and spoke to council to see if they were there for another offence but turns out it was just a follow up) and I haven't seen the dogs out again since, but it still doesn't make me feel any safer in all honesty. On Thursday night when I was walking home past this house, they had their front door open with just the security screen door closed and these 2 dogs were barking quite ferociously at me walking by (on the opposite side of the road again, I won't walk on the footpath in front of their house!!) and I gotta tell ya, I was so close to tears. I was trembling so much, praying to Dog that that screen door was latched properly! I thought knowing my luck, it won't be latched properly and they will come tearing out at me for round #2! Yes it might be a bit dramatic, but it really has affected me :laugh: Very awful feeling to have :rofl:

Ruby it's not dramatic its trauma any one who has been attacked by a dog will tell you they have felt the same way.

It's ridiculous that you report this ignoramus and nothing gets done but the minute a pitbull type is reported it is confiscated and most likely euthanised.

Well these dogs were standing in their front driveway with no owner in sight and came rushing out across the road to me to "attack" me. So I know where these dogs live. They got reported to the council right away, but all they did was issue a warning to them. The ranger has been out again to follow up on the initial report (saw them at their house and spoke to council to see if they were there for another offence but turns out it was just a follow up) and I haven't seen the dogs out again since, but it still doesn't make me feel any safer in all honesty. On Thursday night when I was walking home past this house, they had their front door open with just the security screen door closed and these 2 dogs were barking quite ferociously at me walking by (on the opposite side of the road again, I won't walk on the footpath in front of their house!!) and I gotta tell ya, I was so close to tears. I was trembling so much, praying to Dog that that screen door was latched properly! I thought knowing my luck, it won't be latched properly and they will come tearing out at me for round #2! Yes it might be a bit dramatic, but it really has affected me :laugh: Very awful feeling to have :rofl:

Rubystar what is a terrible feeling for you to have. Very understandable though. A dog fight or dog attack is a very frightening situation to be involved in. I am so sorry that you had to endure that. If only every freakin dog owner on the planet did the right thing and kept their pooches contained you would never have had to endure such a terrible experience and feel anxiety at the pleasure of taking your loved ones for a walk. It makes me sooooo mad at the number or irresponsible dog owners out there.

I'm absolutely sure that the number of these irresponsible dog owners out way the number of responsible ones.

This happened to me a while ago, walking our rotti (on lead), woman with a friend walking a border collie (no lead). Her dog came at me and my OH, I put myself between them but it didnt deter the BC. The owner literally stopped about 10ft away and just looked, so I was holding my rotti back and my OH started kicking at the BC. This owner just stood there!!!! So I got really angry and yelled at her "Would you control your f*&cking dog!!" like a wharfie; then this little old lady walked past and I was mortified, but she just marched up to the other owner and waggled her finger at her, saying "Its people like you who give dog owners a bad name!" What a champion. So at that point, my OH landed a kick on the BC face and it yelped and ran back and we were able to head off.

ITs a horrible situation but I am all for defend defend defend, by whatever means you have at your disposal!

My dog would make mince meat of most of the dogs I have seen about. It's for their dogs safety that I tell them off if they have their dog off-lead and it rushes us. But if there was more than one 1 dog attacking would be more than happy to lay the boot in :thumbsup: or like a previous poster said - whatever means at my disposal - rocks, lol, handbag, LOL.

Ruby it's not dramatic its trauma any one who has been attacked by a dog will tell you they have felt the same way.

It's ridiculous that you report this ignoramus and nothing gets done but the minute a pitbull type is reported it is confiscated and most likely euthanised.

Rubystar what is a terrible feeling for you to have. Very understandable though. A dog fight or dog attack is a very frightening situation to be involved in. I am so sorry that you had to endure that. If only every freakin dog owner on the planet did the right thing and kept their pooches contained you would never have had to endure such a terrible experience and feel anxiety at the pleasure of taking your loved ones for a walk. It makes me sooooo mad at the number or irresponsible dog owners out there.

I'm absolutely sure that the number of these irresponsible dog owners out way the number of responsible ones.

Thanks. ILK you're right, it's anxiety I feel walking my area now, and at the sight of any street roaming offlead dog, even if its small! I feel so ridiculous! A couple of days after the event, some small fluffy dogs barked at me through a fence, even that scared the bejesus outta me! :grouphug::love:

Edited by RubyStar

I have had a couple of near misses, nothing tooo bad yet (fingers crossed ever) one time i was walking a moodle and mini poodle and a husky type thing ran up behind very fast, i turned and yelled arrgh at it and it backed off and didnt persue.

When i was walking raz as a baby a staffy type thing got out and i tried the same trick but that didnt deter it it just ran around and went for raz lucky i had devon that fell out of my pouch and that detered it, also my husband was there and he just picked raz up

I have never thought to kick, i might try to remember that one if im ever in a bad situation, but yes i do yell/ growl