Staffies X 2

Gammalite

Hi all,

Thanks for the great forum, great info here. This is my first post and I was hoping for advice.

I have a 1 year old English Staffy (Astro) who is our best mate. I have 3 kids, 7yo, 5yo and baby.

We treat Astro as part of the family, he spends plenty of time inside, but we class him as an outside dog. I have setup a great environment for him in the double garage we have and he seems really happy. (he come in at 6.30am out at 8.30am and back in a 4pm till 9pm). During the day he's on his own or with my wife.

I walk him every second night and he's with us every weekend.

He has great manners, extremely friendly to other animals even cats, and loves playing with other dogs - when he can.

My question. Given the fact he has chewed everything not bolted down in my backyard (which is very big) should I get another Staffy (female) as a mate. I have asked random people who all say yes - best thing I can do.

My only worry is that if I get two will I have double trouble :laugh: or will they keep each other occupied while we are not there.

If the answer is yes, given Astro is 1 year old, very strong (like a tank) I assume a puppy staffy is not the best, I should look for min 6 mths old one?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

Welcome to DOL, good to see you on here.. where are the pics of Astro?? :laugh::):laugh: Cool name by the way...

Re: your questions, basically if you don't train Astro NOT to chew the stuff in your house/garden, or give him other diversions then getting another Stafford will only mean both of them will start working as a team to chew up anything else that's available.... trust me.. I know. :)

Having said that - 2 well-trained Staffords will keep each other company when you're not around.....

Good luck!

Welcome to DOL!!

Re your questions....a mate would be great for your dog but it won't stop him chewing :laugh:

Do you leave him with toys when he's on his own?

Kongs and other treat toys can be great and will keep him occupied.

Do you have time to walk him every day? That would tire him out a bit more and possibly help too!

Good luck....and post some pics :laugh:

Hi and welcome to DOL :laugh:

Could it be that Astro is not stimulated enough during the day that he has turned to destruction?

A work each day, instead of every 2nd, might tire his body and mind out a bit more.

Toys like treat balls, kongs etc are great tools to use to keep busy minds occupied. We have a Border Collie puppy and if we dont keep her occupied, she occupies herself! :laugh:

I feel your pain. My youngest staffy is now 2.5 and we have given up on the yard - while she doesn't eat the plants she has eaten all the garden lights, decking, display items, outdoor furniture and dug holes deeper than herself. Anything not locked away (like the mower or wheelbarrow) is chewed. Oh and that includes all the specific chew toys we got her! Inside she is worse. Only one week ago she was left inside for 3 hours (with the other dogs) and ate every doona and pillow in the house. The problem has definately improved as she gets older but she just seems to be the kind of dog that needs to taste test everything and gets terribly excited (ie possessed) by fluff! She has two other dogs for company who she adores and actively plays with, as well as tug and stuffed toys I play specifically with her with everynight, as well as exercise by herself and with the other dogs. We had to proof our house from her - nothing on low surfaces and things locked behind doors and doors shut as she will get up on anything. She is normally baby sat when we go out or she wears a light muzzle. She is getting better but I don't think she will ever not taste test.

You might have a kindred spirit but that doesn't mean another dog will have the same behaviours. maybe look at getting a slightly older dog that you already know is well behaved to guide your younger boy? Always plenty of fantastic staffies looking for rehoming!

Our older boy has always been great in the yard, the worst he did was dig an occasional hole. He left everything alone. You'd think he'd be a great role model for a younger dog.

........wrong :D If you put another dog in the yard with him you always come home to destruction. Our two think it's hilarious to chase each other around the yard with the most coveted thing they can find - the stake from a plant, half a brick they dug up, a garden gnome, a piece of wood from a fence paling... I think they have competitions on who can find the best thing to destroy for the day! (But the whole time they have big happy grins and greet me with happy wagging bums when I get home and they present the item to me).

So... get another dog at your garden's peril, but if you need some extra entertainment go ahead :p

We had the same problem with our staffy. Didn't like kongs or anything like that only squeakers which he could destroy in under 2 seconds. We gave him a squeaky tennis ball which he loved and we finally got him addicted to tennis balls. So long as he has had say 15 throws a day (which is about 5 minutes) he leaves everything else alone, he also gets walked everyday.

If one week we are a bit slack he will go back to destroying things but we only have ourselves to blame.

He also really likes putting the ball under a blanket hiding it from himself and then he trys to find it again, that keeps him really busy and an old blanket last about a month or 2

Hey Mike,

Welcome to DOL, good to see you on here.. where are the pics of Astro?? :D:):p Cool name by the way...

Re: your questions, basically if you don't train Astro NOT to chew the stuff in your house/garden, or give him other diversions then getting another Stafford will only mean both of them will start working as a team to chew up anything else that's available.... trust me.. I know. :p

Having said that - 2 well-trained Staffords will keep each other company when you're not around.....

Good luck!

x2 :D

and welcome!

we DO need photos of your boy :laugh:

I think the key question you need to ask is: Does the FAMILY really want another dog? Having two dogs is fine if you want two dogs. Many dogs appreciate having a companion and playmate. But getting another dog thinking it will solve a behaviour problem often results in having two behaviour problems.

If it was me, I'd work on more environmental stimulation, lots of exercise, and structured, planned chewing on items designated as chew toys. Then, once I had that sorted if I wanted a second dog, I would look for a young dog of compatible temperament and energy levels.

We had the same problem with our staffy. Didn't like kongs or anything like that only squeakers which he could destroy in under 2 seconds. We gave him a squeaky tennis ball which he loved and we finally got him addicted to tennis balls. So long as he has had say 15 throws a day (which is about 5 minutes) he leaves everything else alone, he also gets walked everyday.

If one week we are a bit slack he will go back to destroying things but we only have ourselves to blame.

He also really likes putting the ball under a blanket hiding it from himself and then he trys to find it again, that keeps him really busy and an old blanket last about a month or 2

Hi, the blanket game sounds great - funny how they can amuse themselves. You can pick up old blankets from St Vinnies etc and if it keeps them busy and not destroying your things, this is great.

:thumbsup: And two blankets make WONDERFUL confetti spread around the backyard and create no end of amusement for the dogs when watching the resident human attempting to mow the lawns without stuffing the lawnmower! :laugh:

What great info. I might have a good think about the second staffy and develop my little buddy a bit further. I will keep you updated on his progress and I will surely attach a picture.

Thanks for the nice notes.

Cheers

Mike

Only one week ago she was left inside for 3 hours (with the other dogs) and ate every doona and pillow in the house.

Wow that sounds like one destructive dog!! Suppose though having never owned a dog that is even slightly destructive, yours might just be a "normal level of destructive" :thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance, but I can't understand how it can get this bad though. I would have him in a run or crate whilst unsupervised f it meant everything in sight would be destroyed otherwise. :laugh:

Edited by Sir WJ

My hubby found a bowling ball (10pin) in the park behind our old house & bought it home for our boy, absolutely loved it + he couldn't tear it to shreds. We used to be able to hear this ball banging the fence all hours of the nite as he's rolling it around the yard :thumbsup::laugh::mad .

It would keep him occupied for hours. We ended up getting a 2nd dog, bulldog they both got on like a house on fire. Can't recall them terrorising our yard as it was pretty shit anyway :D :):rofl: . Our staffy was a good boy he basicly got the low down on WHAT NOT TO DO at a young age so he set a good example for our bulldog.