What Age To Desex?

Took Riddick to the vet tonight, just to check out his teeth. Vet made a comment that assumed I would be getting him desexed at 6 months.

I replied that I wasn't really sure, hes a very lanky boy and I wanted to read up some more on desexing and ask the DOL community about it before deciding.

Vet just stared at me and said "6 months is the best age to get him done"

I said, "well I've heard some different things about him"

Vet: "No, 6 months is the best age."

Felt very much like he was telling me off!

I don't plan to breed or anything along those lines, I just want to give Riddick the best start to life.

So... what age do I desex? Hes a black labrador. weighs 20 kilos at 5 months! Is not at all overweight. Looks like hes walking on stilts. :laugh:

And heres a photo cause hes just so beautiful.

dogbeach4.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally (and cause I also own a 6mth old large breed puppy) not until they are over 12 mths and maybe a little later .... done on advice of breeders

My boys will be doing Agility and I want to give them the best start I can in allowing them to grow properly first .....

I own a large breed too and breeders advise was not before 9 month (preferably longer).

I dont like the idea of desexing before the dog is mature. (unless the dog is a rescue or there are other valid reasons for it). I dont have any great scientific study to back that up but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Surely hormones are important in any animals development?

I own a large breed too and breeders advise was not before 9 month (preferably longer).

I dont like the idea of desexing before the dog is mature. (unless the dog is a rescue or there are other valid reasons for it). I dont have any great scientific study to back that up but it just doesn't sit well with me.

This is how I feel..

But then why does a vet say 6 months.

its confusing!!!!

My labrador won't be getting done until at least 9 months, as per his breeder's advice.

See, another opinion!

Did they say why 9 months? Feel free to share please!

Primarily so he's closer to full maturity. She was more than happy for us to put it off even further if we saw fit - he'll probably be done somewhere between 9-12 months.

12 months is fine.

If you've ever had kids, you'll know what its like to get told all sorts of things by everyone who is an instant expert.

Take on board their advice but go with your gut instincts. He's a boy so you don't have to worry about seasons, and 12 months is the min time I would say for a dog to mature (mine is 2 years but is still maturing).

If your vet gives you trouble tell them to get a life. If they insist on being painful, get a new vet.

This is how I feel..

its confusing!!!!

Because they are stuck in their ways. It's what they believe, what they have been taught, and what they have always done. Just like the vets that will insist on vaccinating yearly even though the AVA is now recommending that it only be done every 3 years :laugh:

I didnt get my Lab done until he was over 12 months old and Im glad I waited.

I have had a vet tell me it was ok to get my Sammie done at 4 months (um hell no!), so I have to say Im not always going to agree with everything a vet says

I've heard, if you leave it for longer than 6 months your dog will become a out of control horndog...

or if you do it before a year, your dog wont grow properly and can have huge amounts of problems.

Seems to be its your screwed if you do and screwed if you don't

I've heard, if you leave it for longer than 6 months your dog will become a out of control horndog...

or if you do it before a year, your dog wont grow properly and can have huge amounts of problems.

Seems to be its your screwed if you do and screwed if you don't

My Lab was desexed after 12 months and he never mounts anything

:laugh: Definately dont agree. None of us would want entire dogs if that was the case.

or if you do it before a year, your dog wont grow properly and can have huge amounts of problems

Dogs look different when they are desexed young compared to when they are left entire. For most people though, they dont notice or dont care. It doesnt cause a huge amount of problems though although it can cause some.

I would personally let your pup mature more before desexing.

Vets tell everyone to desex at 6 months as it is before most dogs get to sexual maturity therefore they catch them before they have a chance to procreate.

If you are a responsible, educated dog owner, you dont have to get your dog desexed at all although for most pet situations I would recommend it at around 12 months.

I would have a chat to your vet and if he continues to tell you what you have to do, find a better one. I use two vets and neither have ever questioned me on desexing.

ETA he is a gorgeous puppy!

Edited by jesomil

In the early 1990's one of the Guide Dog Schools in Europe did some work on the desexing of Guide Dogs, the findings were, <I am going on memory> that the desexed some dogs as early as 6-8 weeks and others were desexed at around 15-18 months just prior to being paired with a partner. The Guide Dog School found that they had a far higher success rate with dogs that were desexed later. I believe that during this time bloodwork was done and this showed that around this time that hormones released into the bloodstream of the dogs had an effect of causing a maturation of the brain.

I did find a couple of articles about this on the internet a while ago but am currently unable to locate anything.

With vets they are taught at University to advise people to have their dogs and cats desexed at 6 months to stop unwanted pregnancies. This recommendation was originally brought about in the early 1950's and 60's to help control the stray dog problems.

My opinion and recommendation to my puppy buyers is, "If you can be a responsible owner, wait until your dog is between 15 months and 18 months".

Why am I getting told different things by everyone I ask then!

The hormones bla bla bla..

Two schools of thought and two sets of data and research on this subject and one will say one way and the other will swear by their way!

I personally desex all my dogs and puppies before rehome at 10 weeks to 14 weeks ( have done some at 8 weeks)

My puppies, my choice and my business. Each to their own, no wrong or right, just different schools of thought for different paths and dogs in life.

:laugh:

This is how I feel..

its confusing!!!!

Because they don't look outside the square and most would never research anything in that nature beyond what they were taught at vet school. Ask for a vasectomy and see how cleaver your vet is :laugh:

This is how I feel..

its confusing!!!!

Because they don't look outside the square and most would never research anything in that nature beyond what they were taught at vet school. Ask for a vasectomy and see how cleaver your vet is :laugh:

BB did you mean cleaver! I have coffee everywhere YOU made my night very clever! lol

a vasectomy with a cleaver! lol

Its like the scrotum and the sternum always muddled them up too!