What Age To Desex?

I had Moose desexed at 6 months and it did abate the humping somewhat. I don't think he's any different to how he would've been if I'd waited but he is only a small breed (2.2kg). :laugh:

Slight OT but I had my rabbit (may he RIP) desexed and he was just as aggressive post op as he was pre op. :laugh: I envisioned having this cuddly little fluffball that I could snuggle but he was the meanest, craziest, nutbag ever. Still loved him to bits though.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had our swf girl done dead on 6 months --- i later learned about and read up on dog desexing and how it can [or not] change your dog...

if i'd known about growth and hormones and how desexing a dog can affect such things, i might have waited until she'd matured --- my vet convinced me that 6 months was the right time cuz we wouldn't wanna experience bella's first season...

i ponder that tho and wonder and sometimes wish that i'd given her just that lil bit more time to mature...

it's likely not a big deal to anyone else and i really don't think that it's that big of a deal to me, but sometimes ... i just wonder what's in store for her in later life or even if that's something that i even have to consider...

curiously tho, i'm sold on the desex at maturity thing tho --- it just makes really good sense...

i hope you get it right for your pooch :laugh:

The key here is AVERAGE owners - the general community is not dog savy. Their pets are not trained, often not contained and I have grooming customers who don't even know their bitches are in season???? I had a 7 month old Lhaso foster who humped his bed non stop and had started to be nippy - behaviour almost gone 1 week after desexing. Hormones were definitely playing a part - he was also easier to train as he was not constantly sniffing the ground.

Why do larger dogs end up in the pound at around 9 months???? Teenagers with raging hormones who are not being managed by their owners.

Small dogs are often sexually and physically mature at 6 months (capable of producing a litter) which is why vets recommend getting them desexed at this age. A very good choice for the average family. Many small male dogs are kicked outside at this age because they start marking - or are given into rescue.

The key here is AVERAGE owners - the general community is not dog savy. Their pets are not trained, often not contained and I have grooming customers who don't even know their bitches are in season???? I had a 7 month old Lhaso foster who humped his bed non stop and had started to be nippy - behaviour almost gone 1 week after desexing. Hormones were definitely playing a part - he was also easier to train as he was not constantly sniffing the ground.

Why do larger dogs end up in the pound at around 9 months???? Teenagers with raging hormones who are not being managed by their owners.

Small dogs are often sexually and physically mature at 6 months (capable of producing a litter) which is why vets recommend getting them desexed at this age. A very good choice for the average family. Many small male dogs are kicked outside at this age because they start marking - or are given into rescue.

I agree.I would say around 95% that come into shelters are not desexed

Your dog - your choice... nuff said...

T.

Gosh if only we were allowed to take this approach.

There are always at least 2 sides to every story - desexing in male dogs will eliminate the risk of testicular cancer but will also statistically increase their risk of bone cancer. Additionally, their fur doesn't seem to be quite as nice or glossy - it tends to get a fluffy/frizziness to it and larger dogs tend to look long and undeveloped when desexed early. This is just in my experience though. It doesn't always happen to every dog, as I do know one GSD who was desexed early due to possessive aggressive attitudes with other males (which the desexing didn't fix btw) and he is the best looking shepherd I know. That said, mentally, the owner doesn't believe he has matured properly - and regrets her decision. I really noticed a transition from child to teenager to adult, and I do wonder if the owners of desexed dogs notice that too - or to the same extent. But I wouldn't know because I have never had a desexed dog.

Cropping the ears on my dog will enable him to hear better and reduce the incidence of ear infections, but people have decided that's unnecessary surgery, and I am no longer allowed to make that choice.

Or the poor boxer breeder lady I always see down at the park, and almost always one of her boxers has a broken, bleeding tail, but after 20+ years with the breed, she is not allowed to have their tails docked as everyone else has decided it's a cruel procedure.

To the OP though, I do not desex my male dogs, the health benefits are imo outweighed by the detrimental effects both physically and mentally. I am able to put a lot of effort into training them, and have not had any serious behavioural issues that training alone could not at least greatly reduce. He plays with other entire male dogs, and the one time some idiot brought a female in heat down to the park, I was able to keep him sitting and calm on a lead. Once we were on the other side of the park, he ignored it. But many of the dogs didn't, and ended up nearly killing themselves by running up onto the road where the bitch had just left. So I guess if you do not have the time or inclination to do training and obedience work, desexing can make it easier, but otherwise, imo, that's an unnecessary surgery.

Edited by jacqui835

ETA: There are 9 entire male dogs in this photo.. and not a grumble out of any of them towards one another

GroupStay31dogs.jpg

OT but I love the fact that the only dog that is tethered in that pic is called Rascal, nominative determinism at it's finest! :laugh:

I had a 7 month old Lhaso foster who humped his bed non stop and had started to be nippy - behaviour almost gone 1 week after desexing. Hormones were definitely playing a part -

Testosterone takes many months to leave the dogs system. Rule of thumb is around 5 months before any changes, if any, will be seen due to lack of testosterone. I would say your dog simply responded to something else during that week. There is no way desexing would make a difference that quickly.

I had a 7 month old Lhaso foster who humped his bed non stop and had started to be nippy - behaviour almost gone 1 week after desexing. Hormones were definitely playing a part -

Testosterone takes many months to leave the dogs system. Rule of thumb is around 5 months before any changes, if any, will be seen due to lack of testosterone. I would say your dog simply responded to something else during that week. There is no way desexing would make a difference that quickly.

I have seen dogs that have very big changes within two weeks.

While it takes a while for habits to break, and testosterone to levels to fall right back down, I think castration immediately stops the surges of more testosterone that may have an effect on mood.

With all the adult males we had going through foster care, that were desexed at some stage over the first month, the most effective training seemed to happen after the castration.

I have seen dogs that have very big changes within two weeks.

While it takes a while for habits to break, and testosterone to levels to fall right back down, I think castration immediately stops the surges of more testosterone that may have an effect on mood.

With all the adult males we had going through foster care, that were desexed at some stage over the first month, the most effective training seemed to happen after the castration.

I have also. The half life of testosterone in the body is only a matter of hours I believe, so I don't see why it would take weeks to see an effect.

I have also. The half life of testosterone in the body is only a matter of hours I believe, so I don't see why it would take weeks to see an effect.

My boy's behaviour changed within days of him being desexed... He went from a highly distractable teenager one week to a highly focused dog the next! He was desexed at about 1 yr old. I don't regret the decision at all. We didn't have much of a choice anyway - he had an undescended testicle that was found by the vet riiiiiiiiight up in his abdomen during surgery. It was never going to come down.

I own a large breed too and breeders advise was not before 9 month (preferably longer).

I dont like the idea of desexing before the dog is mature. (unless the dog is a rescue or there are other valid reasons for it). I dont have any great scientific study to back that up but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Surely hormones are important in any animals development?

This is how I feel..

But then why does a vet say 6 months.

its confusing!!!!

Most vets say that, they don't seem to be very open to discussuion either. Just do what you and your breeder think is the best. I wouldn't desex till 12 months.

All our girls over the years have been done a 6 mths and all lived long healthy lives. :thumbsup: My GSD boy was done at 10 mths and is still the big sook he was before he was done. :)

There are many myths about desexing, too many I think and it tends to put people off but what is most important is if your not a registered breeder - desex and 6 mths to 12 mths is fine. :love:

Mmm, I was told that by a Veterinary Behaviourist :love:

Yes, but I am talking about normal, healthy, well-behaved dogs, that are just undergoing a domestic rehabilitation. Sexually mature dogs that have never been allowed to mate. Not dogs showing serious problems like anxiety, aggression or fence jumping.

Many foster carers reported to me an immediate improvement in their ability to discourage naughty boy behaviour. We are expecting the dog's behaviour to improve anyway during foster care, but getting the castration done earlier does seem to help. It's like the dogs are listening more to their owner and less to their boy bits. :thumbsup:

I've heard, if you leave it for longer than 6 months your dog will become a out of control horndog...

or if you do it before a year, your dog wont grow properly and can have huge amounts of problems.

Seems to be its your screwed if you do and screwed if you don't

My Lab was desexed after 12 months and he never mounts anything

One of my greyhounds was desexed after five years of age and even when we had a bitch come into season here, he displayed zero interest. If anything, he went out of his way to avoid her.

T.

There are always at least 2 sides to every story - desexing in male dogs will eliminate the risk of testicular cancer but will also statistically increase their risk of bone cancer. Additionally, their fur doesn't seem to be quite as nice or glossy - it tends to get a fluffy/frizziness to it and larger dogs tend to look long and undeveloped when desexed early. This is just in my experience though. It doesn't always happen to every dog, as I do know one GSD who was desexed early due to possessive aggressive attitudes with other males (which the desexing didn't fix btw) and he is the best looking shepherd I know. That said, mentally, the owner doesn't believe he has matured properly - and regrets her decision. I really noticed a transition from child to teenager to adult, and I do wonder if the owners of desexed dogs notice that too - or to the same extent. But I wouldn't know because I have never had a desexed dog.

Cropping the ears on my dog will enable him to hear better and reduce the incidence of ear infections, but people have decided that's unnecessary surgery, and I am no longer allowed to make that choice.

Or the poor boxer breeder lady I always see down at the park, and almost always one of her boxers has a broken, bleeding tail, but after 20+ years with the breed, she is not allowed to have their tails docked as everyone else has decided it's a cruel procedure.

To the OP though, I do not desex my male dogs, the health benefits are imo outweighed by the detrimental effects both physically and mentally. I am able to put a lot of effort into training them, and have not had any serious behavioural issues that training alone could not at least greatly reduce. He plays with other entire male dogs, and the one time some idiot brought a female in heat down to the park, I was able to keep him sitting and calm on a lead. Once we were on the other side of the park, he ignored it. But many of the dogs didn't, and ended up nearly killing themselves by running up onto the road where the bitch had just left. So I guess if you do not have the time or inclination to do training and obedience work, desexing can make it easier, but otherwise, imo, that's an unnecessary surgery.

What causes her boxers to have broken bleeding tails?

And why would you bring any dog that is so injured to a park? :thumbsup::love:

T.

And why would you bring any dog that is so injured to a park? :thumbsup::love:

Some breeds including Boxers are prone to tail injuries which is why they were traditonally docked.

They have long thin tails and when they wag them they can do damage.

When you are putting some serious thought into making your decision about desexing, make sure you're working with facts, not myths and legends as seem to be perpetuated on internet forums.

And if you have an agreement with the dogs breeder to desex before a certain age, it's not up to you to change the rules.

Edited by GayleK

And why would you bring any dog that is so injured to a park? :happydance2: :happydance2:

Next to nothing she says, whacking them too hard against cupboards in the kitchen seems to be a common one. Wrong height I guess. My dobe broke his tail when he was little, vet told us there was nothing he could do, so my dog just has a kinky tail now - they're just not very sturdy tails, and it has proven impossible to teach them when to wag lol and to control the force with which they do. My dobe can leave marks on people's legs! She brings them to the park because as boxers, they still need a lot of exercise every day. Once she had one with a broken nail, and after 1-2 days of no exercise it was a different dog and not for the better. A walk around the block on a lead doesn't come close to cutting it...

EDIT: btw we have no idea how our dog broke his tail, didn't see it happen, just he was crying when we came home one day. The noises it makes when it hits the walls etc though make me think it was something along those lines.

Edited by jacqui835