Argh Neighbours Dogs.... Update!

Beth.

4.30am is way too early to be woken up to next doors dogs barking - going on over an hour now!!!

Now, they're not usually dogs who bark but wouldnt you-

a) go and see what they're actually barking at??? or

b) tell them to be quiet and take them inside!!!!!!

Ah, you gotta love it... I just don't understand how they can just be there (there's 3 of them live there and they are all home!!) and not do anything about it?? It baffles me :thumbsup::laugh::eek: ;)

ETA: Well we found the culpret of why the neighbours dogs were barking non-stop for over an hour... and here he is....

Echidna.jpg

This gorgeous echidna somehow got into our yard, and half buried itself in a little garden on our side of the fence, but the dogs clearly were not happy about his presence!!! He has now been taken just up the road (as we have 3 dogs, and the neighbours have 2 - just not a nice spot for a beautiful echidna), and hopefully he'll continue on his way!! (we live in a little town with lots of bush around us...).

Edited by LuvLottie

Well, I ended up going outside and talking to them (the dogs), they're two very sweet little girls, but they were actually barking at something in a bush and were scared!! So I chatted calmly while walking near the bush (it was kindof along the fencelince - I just did all this from our side), and off they tottled back to bed... So now looks like i'll take Lottie for a nice big walk because i'm awake, haha!!

One of the neighbours across the road had their 4 small dogs dig into the other neighbour's yard last night at about 10:30 - the poor little things were barking up a storm because they couldn't get out of the yard they'd gotten into. The owners eventually came to get them out, but had no bloody control over one of the dogs who then decided to run up and down the road setting off other dogs in the street. The owner was just standing there bellowing the dog's name for it to come back and was being ignored by the little bugger - eventually I went out and squatted down and called the dog, who came to me straight away - I then handed him to his owner, who promptly put him back down and we had to waste another 5 minutes trying to catch him again... grrr!

Thankfully the owners didn't just chuck them back into their own yard (which obviously is not secure), and we all got a decent night's sleep after the hullaballoo...

T.

My dogs bark at the neighbour next door who comes home at 3am nearly every morning. They are used to barking when cars approach from being at our old house, they were the guard dogs and much appreciated. However at 3am its not so welcomend any more. Especially because once the beagle starts I physically have to go outside and either yell at him to be quiet or if he wont stop put him a crate. Very annoying!

Well... Just found out what they were barking at.... photos to come soon (so the suspense can wait till then ;) ). Also, the guys next door weren't home last night that I just found out, so all is forgiven as the dogs really are lovely, was just very annoying at 4.30am!!!!

Sorry guys!! I put it in the first post again... here is another one :stupid:

Echidna.jpg

This gorgeous echidna somehow got into our yard, and half buried itself in a little garden on our side of the fence, but the dogs clearly were not happy about his presence!!! He has now been taken just up the road (as we have 3 dogs, and the neighbours have 2 - just not a nice spot for a beautiful echidna), and hopefully he'll continue on his way!! (we live in a little town with lots of bush around us...).

Gorgeous little fellow!!! Hopefully everyone will get a good nights sleep tonight

Haha, I hope so, and I hope the little guy is ok.... I'm kindof thinking he got 'trapped' there because of the dogs - not that they were on our side of the fence, but they were just constantly barking at him!!! So i'd say he was too frightened to move anywhere!!!

super cool! great pic. I am delightedto have echidnas here! one of the reasons i have now become a voluntary protector of the bush...

H

I know, it was so nice to see him - this morning when I went out to get up the neighbours dogs - the fence is just one of those metal ones with small squares (if that makes sense), well anyway, when I went out there, I did notice they were both looking in the little garden bed barking at it... but because it wasn't too light I just didn't see him!! Lottie followed me out, and straight away she was weary of the garden, but again it was cold, dark and I wanted to be in bed, so I just told off the dogs and came back inside. This arv, the young guy was in the yard working on a car, and me and my housemates were in ours kicking the ball to the dogs, and I walked over to the garden and was saying this is where they were barking at... I looked down, and I barely saw it!!! It was hiding well....

Fishandechidna025.jpg

He was a big boy as well!!! (not that we actually knew if it was male or not!!). But it was big anyway!!! I really love seeing wildlife, and I just hope this guy goes ok!!!

Last time we had a male echidna, you could definitely tell it was a male when it relaxed a little and uncurled a bit - oh and the females have a small pouch...

When I lived on a farm, one of the neighbours found a little puggle and we were told by the wildlife sanctuary people that if we could find another female, she may adopt it and come into milk to feed it... we found 6 males before we gave up looking and decided the hand rear the little one on joey mix... and once the little one was eating more solid stuff, he went to live at the sanctuary...

They are really cool little animals...

T.

Last time we had a male echidna, you could definitely tell it was a male when it relaxed a little and uncurled a bit - oh and the females have a small pouch...

When I lived on a farm, one of the neighbours found a little puggle and we were told by the wildlife sanctuary people that if we could find another female, she may adopt it and come into milk to feed it... we found 6 males before we gave up looking and decided the hand rear the little one on joey mix... and once the little one was eating more solid stuff, he went to live at the sanctuary...

T.

Bit off topic her but just to add...they are quite hard to tell apart as both male and female have a cloaca and concealed sex organs within it. Lots of people confuse the cloaca for a penis. The females pouch is only visible if she pregnant or lactating so what appears to be male can quite easily be a female! They are incredibly intelligent, fascinating animals, thanks for the pics!

T.

Bit off topic her but just to add...they are quite hard to tell apart as both male and female have a cloaca and concealed sex organs within it. Lots of people confuse the cloaca for a penis. The females pouch is only visible if she pregnant or lactating so what appears to be male can quite easily be a female! They are incredibly intelligent, fascinating animals, thanks for the pics!

Yep!! We've done Echidna reproduction in uni - the males actually have a fascinating penis, haha.... Sorry very off topic - but this guy was very stressed (understandably), didn't uncurl at all, so unfortuantely we didn't see to much - the one photo was about all he did, so we just popped him in a box and covered him up so he didn't stress more then needed!!!!!

OMG That is amazing! What a find and you're right - he/she was barely visible. Arent they clever! We get a lot of them around here, one of my dogs once shoved his nose in one and got punctures all round his muzzle. And did he scream!!! LOL He refused to go near the area where it happened for a long time after that, would start making these funny whimpery noises when we went past :rofl: Great pics!