Where To Buy Show Leads?

Gumnut

Thanks for the link gone troppo, so you match the lead colour to your outfit not the dog colour? how do you know what length to buy?

I have been lucky - the people that I have bought from in the past are Chihuahua exhibitors - so I just leave it to them! I am sure that if they are making leads for a lot of different breeds then they themselves have a good idea, but you could always measure a lead that you are currently using and use that as your guide!

I don't always match to outfit colour. I show a black dog on a black lead also and my daughter shows her cream dog on a red lead. I am not as fussy with lead colour, shoe colour, outfit colour as I probably should be though! I know that there are a lot of people out there who put wwwaaayyy more thought than I do into it!

If I am comfortable with the feel of the lead and the dog walks well on it - then I am happy to grab it out of the box & use it!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Angelsophie, I'm not doing the bling at the moment. I'm leaning towards the old K.I.S.S. principle and keeping them simple and elegant. I personally think that the kangaroo leather is classy enough on its own! :)

Beautiful work Ellz. Have you got anything for a 36kg Bull Terrier?

:thumbsup: I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Angelsophie, I'm not doing the bling at the moment. I'm leaning towards the old K.I.S.S. principle and keeping them simple and elegant. I personally think that the kangaroo leather is classy enough on its own! :rofl:

Beautiful work Ellz. Have you got anything for a 36kg Bull Terrier?

Not at hand, but I could do it I would imagine, depending upon what you need. I've been showing my own Stafford on my leads, as well as walking in public, and he's no lightweight, nor is he particularly well trained at times.....much to my utter disgust and mortification! :)

Hey Ellz. How you going with the lead I ordered for my newfy. Haven't been able to catch up with you yet. When you've been at the shows down south I haven't entered and when I go you don't turn up :D Will be there on Saturday first group. Will you be there for a looky???

Hey Ellz. How you going with the lead I ordered for my newfy. Haven't been able to catch up with you yet. When you've been at the shows down south I haven't entered and when I go you don't turn up :thumbsup: Will be there on Saturday first group. Will you be there for a looky???

PM me. I'm not entered for anything for the forseeable future and don't get to shows for a look any more because it is just too far to be bothered going without a dog!

Can you use showleads for just normal everyday walking? :thumbsup: they are very pretty.

Of course you can, provided they are a suitable strength for your dog and your dog isn't one who pulls and tugs on the lead all the time. Most show leads, whether paracord or leather are quite strong, but could be hard on your hands if your dog isn't well trained. You also need to take into account that by law, you must have your dog under control at all times and some leads might snap if there was sudden strain placed upon them.

That said, I walk my dogs on my show leads all the time...don't know about other people.

We actually use a paracord show collar when walking Akira (though a normal lead). It actually gives us more control than her normal collar, and while she's a puller, it hasn't even been stretched. I probably wouldn't use the show lead while walking, but it's only thin paracord and while I know it probably wouldn't snap because the collar is the same, I'm still worried about it.

We actually use a paracord show collar when walking Akira (though a normal lead). It actually gives us more control than her normal collar, and while she's a puller, it hasn't even been stretched. I probably wouldn't use the show lead while walking, but it's only thin paracord and while I know it probably wouldn't snap because the collar is the same, I'm still worried about it.

My concern with that would be the risk of damage to her neck by the collar if there was a sudden amount of strain placed upon it. Your hand would be fine with a stronger, probably wider lead, but just think of what might happen if she quickly jerked on the collar and it tightened around her throat?????

Can you use showleads for just normal everyday walking? :walkdog: they are very pretty.

Show lead for showring only for me. I walk the Chi's on a harness at all other times.

Much kinder on their necks and as awful as this sounds - I had a HUGE rotti charge out from a front yard one walk at one of my girls and it was just reflex that made me jerk the lead up and lift her into my arms away from the rotti. I hate to think what it would have done to her neck and windpipe if she had been walking on a show lead! :thumbsup:

I also advise pet puppy buyers to use a harness as well instead of collar & leash (ferret harnesses are great!)

My concern with that would be the risk of damage to her neck by the collar if there was a sudden amount of strain placed upon it. Your hand would be fine with a stronger, probably wider lead, but just think of what might happen if she quickly jerked on the collar and it tightened around her throat?????

Oh good point. Grr, back to square one with the collars situation.

Oh good point. Grr, back to square one with the collars situation.

I feel your pain. It can be really difficult to find "everyday" collars suitable for walking, especially for showdogs of various breeds that can suffer from coat damage from most collars.

The Snazzy Pooch thing is a bit of a bummer if you don't DO Face book!!!!

Shouldn;t be a problem, I sorted mine out with them via email. Just a shame they never mentioned how stiff and uncomfortable the neck part of the lead was. :confused: