Puppy Toys

borderfan

So I am counting down the days until Bailey comes to us and yesterday the kids and I decided to go buy some toys for him. We got a couple of tennis balls, a kong, a rope toy and a squeaky chicken thing but was wondering what else your dogs like?

What are the good ones and which ones should we give a miss? Bailey is coming from the breeder with his own soft lovey toy which he is used to sleeping with and has his littermates smell on.

What sort of dog? Best toys here are a plastic pot plant pot or a bucket with the handle taken off. Next best toy is an old men's work sock tied in knots. Next best after that, a tiny tiny tiny strip of material off a blanket - any blanket! - that puppy can hide in it's mouth and run around pretending it really doesn't have anything at all. After that - anything with a squeaker, but they generally last between 15 and 30 seconds :thumbsup:

My Golden Retriever loves his Canine Genius toy... shove food in and 4 weeks later he is still trying to work out how to get the food out... hours of entertainment!!

:) :) ;) :):rofl::angel::) FOUR WEEKS! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Billie's current favourite indoors toy is a plastic practice golf ball...she gets all excited and dashes down the hallway if I even look at the ball. Last week an empty 3L milk bottle, before that a stuffed flea toy (I found the flea beheaded the day after her last Advantix...coincidence? *x-files music*). Outside it is balls and rope toys.

She is not keen on any of the specific teething toys we bought - prefers a piece of wooden dowel she found somewhere, or a rope toy that we wet and throw in the freezer. She is fond of a hockey puck so I use a silicone muffin tray to make ice pucks (I get something like diced ox heart and put a piece in each muffin cup then fill with water and freeze) - she bats them around, chases them, gnaws on them etc...but give these outside or before you mop the floor.

What is this Canine Genius toy?

I want to know what this Canine Genius is....!?

Oh and borderfan, our male border Mars.. LOVES LOVES LOVES balls! He'll have a ball in his mouth, and use his nose and paws to play with a small soccer ball! Like your old border, my little guys fav toy is... anything ball-like!

the cardboard rolls from T/paper or paper towel.

Old socks tied in knots

small soft drink bottles with a few bits of kibble or treats in.

whole apples

whole carrots

leather soccerballs- not fully inflated .

cardboard boxes

old leather dog collars(buckles removed)

They also enjoy kongs and the odd squeaky toy.

Elbie (3/4 kelpie, 1/4 border collie) likes his kongs because they provide treats. There's also a kong ball which is cool because it has treats and he can chase it around the room. He also has a rope chew toy which he can't choke on and which he runs around with in the yard.

elbie143.jpg

Unfortunately for us, his favourite toys are some little plushy squeak toys we bought when he was a very tiny puppy. They've lasted for weeks but he keeps tearing holes in them. See this very intact badger in this picture next to a deceptively angelic puppy?

elbie87.jpg

badger02.jpg

It now looks like this:

badger01-1.jpg

It used to have ears and a tail. The tail was torn off so I stitched up the hole. We pre-emptively amputated the ears but Elbie keeps ripping at the poor badger's butt so the badger has had so many butt tucks in its short life that its rear end seems to be getting tighter and tighter :cry: We debated whether we would get him another badger but he loves it soooo much and it does last for weeks so we have it as his comfort toy.

He also ravaged his poor horse:

elbie78.jpg

That being said, the toys are still being played with - but just have to supervise when he plays with it for those times he rips it and we have to do quick surgery.

Also, Elbie has indoor and outdoor toys so he knows that he's not supposed to bring his outdoor toys inside and vice versa.

Edited by koalathebear

Hugo loves his kong (black extreme one), a big knotted rope, and soft toys. He had a lovely purple rabbit, which eventually became earless, legless and handless (the arms survived though). My kids would say "mums doing surgery again" because of the multiple times I was stitching up the rabbit when limbs were detached! Unfortunately the rabbit is now in soft toy heaven after it was used for tug of war between Hugo and his BCxKelpie "cousin".

Interestingly the soft toy that has lasted the longest is a rat from IKEA. They are only about $2. He found it in the bottom of a cupboard one day (where all the kids old soft toys are) and we decided to let him have it. so far it has all its limbs still attached, even its tail is still there!

The other thing which amused him was a clam shell full of dried leaves from the garden. He loves to "throw" them around and dig in them and eat them too. Unfortunately all the rain has spoiled his fun now because they aren't dry and crisp anymore, just sort of soggy and boring! :(

ETA....went to IKEA and the rat isn't $2 anymore :eek: it's now $5.95 (admittedly I did buy it a good few years ago!)

Edited by fiveplusone

I can't say anything has ever been better than the Ikea kid's toys.

My girl has the bulldog, the beagle, a few rats, a horse, a hippo, a TRex wearing a top hat {???}, a fox and a really big shark.

They've lasted two years so far with no rips, and they are very attractive toys; soft, plushy, they even look like the thing they're meant to be.

And they're cheap!

My golden retriever loves her toys. I got a 'teething toy' in big w - its a pink thing with rope arms and legs - she carries it everywhere, tennis balls, rope toy.

But she manages to find her own toys too - an empty plastic pot plant holder, an old plastic bowl that was outside (when its upside down she scratches it and scratches it and moves it around until she can get it in her mouth).

Also got her a big pillow in Kmart - they were actually in the childrens section but they were only $5 and she loves playing with it coz its almost as big as she is but she can jump on it etc etc.

i too want to know what a canine genius is??

4 weeks for one toy?? really!!!

I think THIS is the link to the canine genius toys.

Looks interesting.

Depends on the dog, I wouldnt recommend it for a heavy chewer, I bought one for my JRT...it lasted about 40 minutes before she had ripped one of the little triangle bits off on the side. Id like to try her with another one now that she is older but I fear that either

a) the same thing will happen again or

b) because I have two very food motivated dogs at home (including a Goldie who thinks she has never had enough to eat) there will be so much competition to get it that Tess will destroy it just so Lexi cant have it

And buying two wont work, they will both want the same one

Archie what do you put in yours?

ETA

This is quoted from that website for the mini version

For toy breeds 15lbs and under - except Boston Terriers, Dachshunds and Jack Russell Terriers - they need the big Leo!) Also suitable for cats.

I wish the guy at the shop had told me that! maybe Ill get the big Leo next time im at petbarn and see how that one goes lol

Edited by GoldenGirl85

My Golden Retriever loves his Canine Genius toy... shove food in and 4 weeks later he is still trying to work out how to get the food out... hours of entertainment!!

My boy broke two :cheer: He chewed them.. he loved them though but once the food was gone, forget it! They are absolutely brilliant as long as your dog isn't a hardcore chewer like I now know mine is. There is nothing more entertaining than watching your dogs bat the leo around and bang it to get out food.

The toys that lasted here are a Kong, and a kids soft toy eeyore that rattled. I gave that to the dogs on Sunday and it's still in tact which is a rarity in this house :cheer:

Edited by Bundy's Mum