Composting Dog Poo

Has anyone tried composting dog poo? I can't stand the smell of dog poo in the bins that only get collected once a week. I am hoping someone knows how to set up a doggy poo disposal station that won't just turn into a bigger problem!!! We are on septic tank in a 2 story house with the loo upstairs so collecting it and flushing is out of the question.

I have a compost bin that is just for dog poo...works fine, occasionally it will get that icky sweaty smell but i just pour some water in there and mix it about and the smell goes away again :thumbsup: There are worms in there as well. Next time compost bin i get will be one of those ones which you can open the bottom of them so you can shovel out the good dirt :) My current set up works perfectly fine with two large dogs :laugh:

We have a few worm farms for the dog poo. They sure do work, but we have more dogs than our worms can handle at the moment.

You can normally find more on www.thewormman.com but the site appears to be down for some reason, but google worm farm dogs and you should get some info on how to set them up.

Piccies of your set up please?!!!

I have a compost bin that is just for dog poo...works fine, occasionally it will get that icky sweaty smell but i just pour some water in there and mix it about and the smell goes away again :thumbsup: There are worms in there as well. Next time compost bin i get will be one of those ones which you can open the bottom of them so you can shovel out the good dirt :) My current set up works perfectly fine with two large dogs :laugh:

All the dog poo goes in a big hole at the top of my pineapple and pawpaw patch then gets covered up. I move along a couple feet and dig another big hole when neded. Nothing fancy. I tried compostng it but it takes ages.

I do believe if you have worms in the compost ... then you need to be careful when you worm the dog otherwise it can kill off the worms.

I have heard that too...I guess for 36hrs after worming the dogs you just pick up and bag it instead of putting it in the compost.

Hehe...the set up isn't much to take a pic of - it's just a cheapo conical type compost bin...and the stirrer :thumbsup:

Black-Compost-Bin.jpg one of these...and one of these

Compost-Mate.jpg

Edited by KitKat

All the dog poo goes in a big hole at the top of my pineapple and pawpaw patch then gets covered up. I move along a couple feet and dig another big hole when neded. Nothing fancy. I tried compostng it but it takes ages.
Yep, I just collect it all in the waste pan with a trowel and dig it into the garden every day or so.
I do believe if you have worms in the compost ... then you need to be careful when you worm the dog otherwise it can kill off the worms.

I have heard that too...I guess for 36hrs after worming the dogs you just pick up and bag it instead of putting it in the compost.

LOL, I've been wanting to ask a question about this, because I've heard that you can't put poo of wormed dogs into the worm farms or the garden as it kills the worms. I was wondering whether it was one of those stories that went around without anyone checking or whether it was scientifically based. I didn't know it was for only a short time after worming. I'm glad you've told us that SnT. :)

We have just a standard compost bin. We don't use the lid though. I collect poo after every poo (because I can't handle leaving it. I use one of those poop scoop kits. you know like a metal dust pan and flat piece of metal to push the poo into the pan) and we have two dogs. We add the grass clippings from the grass catcher each time we mow to the compost but we dont put it back into the garden, it just all works down together. In summer it can get a bit smelly but I just get a shovel and mulch it around together and that seems to tone down to little amount of smell. We have never put poo in the sulo bins, I think it just makes your bins smell gross :)

We have never had a problem with this method of 'poo removal' (for want of a better word) :)

I have one worm farm dedicated to the dog poo, it is just an old wheelie bin with worms and dog poo in it, the worms thrive on it. I have been told though that you need to be careful what you use the decomposed matter on, eg not vegi gardens, something to do with the ecoli in it I think it was.

Thanks....I haven't seen the stirer before....interesting...hubble bubble..... :)

Hehe...the set up isn't much to take a pic of - it's just a cheapo conical type compost bin...and the stirrer :)

Black-Compost-Bin.jpg one of these...and one of these

Compost-Mate.jpg

We have an area of 3' x 2' down the back yard.

Dig a hole put the business in and throw a handful of Bokashi in there and add some water.

Bokashi is a mix if swordust and bran that has been infused with micro organisms. Breaks down in 2 weeks.

Under $10 a bag and lasts 2 months.

No smell no fuss.

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!!!! I know, but as soon as I get the pooper scooper out my dogs think, oh she wants more! and proceed to poo again!!!! I'm definitely getting a compost bin. Thanks everyone!!! :)

This has got to be the most disgusting and yet informative thread I have ever read on DOL. It has given me all kinds of unpleasant yet enlightened visuals.....

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!!!! I know, but as soon as I get the pooper scooper out my dogs think, oh she wants more! and proceed to poo again!!!! I'm definitely getting a compost bin. Thanks everyone!!! :)
This has got to be the most disgusting and yet informative thread I have ever read on DOL. It has given me all kinds of unpleasant yet enlightened visuals.....

I like the helpful ones that so cheerfully follow you along on poo-patrol and kindly act as 'spotters'. They will stand by the next nearest one with a focused gaze, looking for all the world like they have pegged a little waving flag in for "x" marks the spot then wait for you to come and collect it. I'm sure some say to themselves; " :) Don't know what she sees in this stuff - ah well." ;)

Yes and there are always the ones that generously manage to make yet another donation; "Here ya go, just while you're on the job.."

So thoughtful of them. :)