Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

Sometimes there are exceptional circumstances that do make rehoming the only or best option. Unfortunately, most people that are getting rid of a pet believe they fit into that category.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*He is too grown up now - we really only like puppies* as they surrendered their 13 month old Golden!

That one would be so funny, if only it wasn't true. I once had a young woman surrender a puppy she had purchased from a pet store the day before. (at $900 for a mixed breed). They hadn't told her the puppy would toilet, and she simply wasn't prepared to deal with that aspect of ownership. She may have thought it was stuffed or something.

That would be a cross breed worth developing - the non peeing breed.

*He is too grown up now - we really only like puppies* as they surrendered their 13 month old Golden!

That one would be so funny, if only it wasn't true. I once had a young woman surrender a puppy she had purchased from a pet store the day before. (at $900 for a mixed breed). They hadn't told her the puppy would toilet, and she simply wasn't prepared to deal with that aspect of ownership. She may have thought it was stuffed or something.

That would be a cross breed worth developing - the non peeing breed.

:confused:

This would have to be the excuse to top off all excuses! Wonder whether she pees? perhaps not. :laugh:

I heard a terrible story about how healthy young ex- racing greyhounds, that don't make the grade are taken to vets and slowly drained of all their blood.

Apparently the greyhound owner gets $50 per dog for doing this.

I was so upset about it that I googled it to find out if it was true and why greyhounds.

I found out that apparently greyhounds have a special type of blood that can be used for a few different doggie blood types.

And Yes, its true...How shameful...This is where I think people who rescue greyhounds deserve an extra pat on the back.

:confused: The greyhound racing industry should not exist. Only heartless individuals partake in it.

i'm so sad reading this whole thread that i can now barely ...

i have 2 dogs [one adopted] and now one cat [a pound save] and before joining this forum, i'd never ever ever heard of such things! but curiously, i am not surprised --- another reason i prefer animals to humans...

having read every post in this thread the worst phrase used is get rid of --- unbelievable! i get rid of rubbish...

back in sept '84, an uncle of mine passed away. i was living in coffs harbour, away from home running a small business and missing family --- a staff member took advantage and offered me a small kitty; a ginger, just like my recently departed uncle ... kismet!?!?

i put the word out and he was named 'thomas o'malley [per disney's animated film aristocats] kat esq' and he was about 6 weeks old; i fell in love with him :rofl: --- so many memories, laughs...

in '88 we moved from coffs to the gold coast and so did tom. in '92 we moved to cairns and so did tom. in 94 we moved back to the gold coast, and so did tom ... then in '96, we moved to sydney and so did tom --- living in the same place until tom passed in early october 2003. we still live there...

the point to my story is that never once did i consider there to be an alternative and never ONCE during any of those moves was there any discussion as to tom's future with us OTHER THAN the cost to kennel him, or to transport him...

however, some peeps have legitimate needs; others should be banned and themselves sterilised --- but the big question here is: what is best for the animal?

srsly, i'd prefer that the large majority of numnuts make those numnut excuses so that their relinquished pets can now be enjoying the life they now have...

jmho

• 1 year later...
"I can't keep my dog anymore. my new boyfriend is jealous because I got the dog with my ex. we are going to get a new puppy together."

My ex brought Boss for me and if my current boyfriend at the time EVER said that to me he would no longer be my boyfriend! Boss is a better man then they will ever be anyway... what more could you ask for really!

... oh good god! (to the first part!)

Reminds me of the other day when a lady came in holding a basket of 6 week old kittens. She told me she'd tried desperately to find them homes to no avail and asked if we could put them up for adoption. I informed her of our policy that dictateed only strays were to be part of the adoption program. She begged and pleaded with me stating that she'd have to have them PTS if we couldn't take them. I finally relented.

Forward to five minutes later where I was setting them up out the back. My colleague entered and informed me that the lady had told her she was so glad she had found a place to bring the next lot when her cat got pregnant again. :eek:

Now I just feel like an enabler. :(

I had a cat surrendered this year because 'he scratches on our glass doors when we lock him outside'... This cat is super-social and just loves being with people!

One of my first rescues was a Maltese x that 'barks all day'... Did I mention that he lived in a guinea pig cage? He was about 7kg.

I've also rescued a staffy x that grew up to be a crossbreed which meant he 'chewed too much'. You see pure Staffords apparently don't chew so the owner needed to get rid of the cross bred staffy she'd bought from a pet shop as a purebred and instead get a pure Stafford which wouldn't chew like a crossbred one does!

Recently rehomed a fox terrier who 'made too much mess and tried to escape all the time'... Did I mention she was locked in a dark garage with nowhere to toilet and desperately tried to get out to get some company? She never once had an accident in my house!

Hear most of the usual excuses on a daily basis but had a heartbreaking one just on xmas eve . Woman rang the vet to pts her just turned 1 year bc x whippet saying her daughter was sick ......vet asked if she had any health issues and had she tried rescue groups ? No health issues except she was pregnant so she didn't think anyone else would want the hassle of having pups over xmas either . We picked up Bindi on Xmas Eve afternoon and she gave birth to her 8 babies on Xmas Day :(

Lol I had the most evil, sadistic cat ever [bully was his name]. For the first 15 years he was a brute, attacked for no reason, bit, hissed, lashed out with claws...go to pat him and he'd latch on with teeth and front claws, whilst going hammer and tongs with his back feet...your arm would come out a bloody mess. But not once did it enter into my head to dump him or the like. He even moved house...couldn't bear to part with the evil bastadido lmao.

It was a joy when he finally mellowed out...got 2 lovely years of how he should've been, smarmy, nice and omg purrs out of him, but I think his brain had addled by that stage and he forgot how to be evil :laugh:

He passed on last year and I still miss him.

Same with all the dogs I've had and numerous other animals [horses/sheep/birds etc.] - they've been for life.

Sometimes, yes there would be genuine people that have to rehome through no fault of their own...but there are always the those who live in a disposable world where any excuse that takes the blame off them suffices :(

I got Sprocket, my first Lab as a rescue. According to the shelter she was surrendered because the family who bought her was told that once a girl was speyed her pee wouldn't leave green circles on the lawn. They had her speyed, and she continued to detract from the perfectly manicured lawn, so they put her up for adoption. Sprocky was a wonderful dog . . . easy to live with, and with a terrific sense of humor.

I know a couple (friends of friends) who had 3 healthy young dogs PTS at different times because they wanted to go on extended overseas holidays. Broke my heart when I was told about it and find it very hard to to even look at them after that. :cry:

I thought I had heard it all until;

A gorgeous red cattle male was surrendered for being "too loyal" Well they were right about that, I couldnt fault the dog.

A 9 year old crossbreed surrendered "I am not a dog person" Youve had him for 9 years!

'She is destructive' after further questions, destructive = the dog was pawing at the glass door to come inside. She went on to be adopted by a DOLer who said she is the most laid back, well manered girl they have ever had.

And then the lowest of the low who will say "the dog is stupid, I hate the dog and want it pts" all of those dogs were good dogs and rehomed/rescued.

I agree that at times the dog is better off being surrendered than living a hideous life with people who simply do not care about their dog.

Some of the most neglected think the pound is the hilton as they get two meals a day, a warm soft bed and attention.

My heart sinks for every surrender, god only knows pounds dont need any more dogs, though at least they have a chance of finding a great new home or rescue. Having said that my local pound has a fantastic reputation and work very hard for the animals.

It is very sad that most people do not often consider responsibly rehoming themselves, full credit for those who do.

Dog does not like drums that son plays.. And new boyfriend doesn't like dog. :laugh:

I had a bitch I bred returned to me for this reason :mad Funnily enough, she HATED men, although she was fine before she went to her home at 8 weeks - I think she may have had a kick or 2 from the boyfriend. Sally was a lovely, affectionate bitch - I went on 2 breed 2 gorgeous litters from her - the stunning Beau was one of her puppies

Beau-2.jpg

"This cat is Schizophrenic and it attacks me in the night when it is dark and I'm alone.."
:laugh:

I know this is a sad topic but that made me laugh out loud!

In a strange twist, my cat does that nearly every night and I haven't rehomed her...... yet. :cry:

Yes - isn't that just what cats DO when they wake up bored in the middle of the night? :laugh: My Siamese ninja cat used to do that.

As far as the "moving" excuse goes - that's absolutely pathetic. My ex & I came to Australia from NZ 30 years ago & brought our Standard Poodle and our 2 cats with us - they went with us over to Perth & back again. I would just as soon thought of cutting my arm off & leaving it behind :mad

Edited by poodlemum

Hear most of the usual excuses on a daily basis but had a heartbreaking one just on xmas eve . Woman rang the vet to pts her just turned 1 year bc x whippet saying her daughter was sick ......vet asked if she had any health issues and had she tried rescue groups ? No health issues except she was pregnant so she didn't think anyone else would want the hassle of having pups over xmas either . We picked up Bindi on Xmas Eve afternoon and she gave birth to her 8 babies on Xmas Day :(

What is wrong with some people! :mad.

The puppy does not fit in with our calm lifestyle. It was returned 24 hours later. The pup woke them up ONCE in the middle of the night to go to the toilet on the FIRST night.

The puppy they had was the most relaxed and laid back puppy of the litter. Any more quiet it would be walking backwards.

At the pound:

Since the school holidays started, the pound had been inundated with surrendered pets. One excuse the girls told me was they had "found" a border collie about a month ago and had held him pending owner claiming. A few questions later revealed the person was able to find someone to baby sit the SWF, but had problems finding someone to baby sit the border collie, so it had to to go the pound