Leo

Greytmate

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

Leo's ashes were returned this morning in a wooden box. :birthday:

I am still coming to terms with what happened. A whole series of decisions made by me over the past three years that I am now questioning. :)

Poor Leo deserved so much better.

Leo was a very special greyhound. A Sydney Cup Winner and a long Distance Champion. He was a huge dog, and a fiercely competitive dog too. You could see how much power he had just in the way he moved around, and the judges could see it in the show ring too. He had over a hundred race starts and won more than one in four of those.

He was a leader of dogs, and really liked to throw his weight around. While the other dogs would trot happily and jump excitedly when we got home, Leo would fly up the driveway to meet us at full stride, and leap over six feet into the air. He always used his size and presence to keep himself up close and all the other dogs at a distance, and they all had to do what he wanted.

Despite his power, Leo was so gentle. He never jumped on people, never knocked into anyone or anything. Never growled at a person ever, and happily lay down on his side to have his nails cut or to be groomed.

When I first got Leo, he was fairly aloof, All he wanted to do was sit quietly on his bed. But he loved it most when you sat with him, so we decided to get him a huge lounge suite/dog bed that we could all sit on together. Over time Leo became the cuddliest dog ever. With his gentle head on your lap it was like having a lap dog, and a warm blanket wrapped around you at the same time.

Over the last few months our other dogs all go out on the veranda in the mornings and lie in the sun. But Leo always stayed on his couch inside near me. Apart from eating, and going for his walk, he never really left the couch at all.

And now the couch is empty and I feel so sad. :rofl:

Here are some photos we only took a couple of weeks ago.

post-2283-1276052838_thumb.jpg

post-2283-1276052889_thumb.jpg

post-2283-1276053239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greytmate