Pet Shop Made Me Cranky Today - Grrrrrr!

OMG :wave: You can see those squirrels not only running freely around the Perth Zoo, but the surrounding South Perth suburb.

These squirrels were released in the grounds of the South Perth Zoo in 1898 and have gradually

colonized an area of about 30 square km. Some animals have turned up away from South Perth, but

all are thought to have been recaptured and destroyed.

WA Ag Dept Sheet

I was about to post, the Perth Zoo is full of them running wild!

Not sure how true it is but many people have told me that apparently if you catch one at the zoo you get a reward? Perhaps the zoo wants to get rid of them. Or it's just a myth :(

Guest belgian.blue
OMG :rofl: You can see those squirrels not only running freely around the Perth Zoo, but the surrounding South Perth suburb.

These squirrels were released in the grounds of the South Perth Zoo in 1898 and have gradually

colonized an area of about 30 square km. Some animals have turned up away from South Perth, but

all are thought to have been recaptured and destroyed.

WA Ag Dept Sheet

I was about to post, the Perth Zoo is full of them running wild!

Not sure how true it is but many people have told me that apparently if you catch one at the zoo you get a reward? Perhaps the zoo wants to get rid of them. Or it's just a myth :bottom:

Ah yeah I think I remember hearing this while on a school excursion many moons ago. Friggin quick little creatures!

No need to call AQIS!

These squirrels are part of a bunch that escaped from Taronga decades and decades ago. There is a lady breeding them in western NSW somewhere. Macq Pet Shop is not the only place that sells them. To sell they they must be sold desexed and the new owners must get a permit to keep them.

So they have not been imported and everything is all above board in terms of legality of selling them - we investigated this matter a couple of months ago.

Oh .... the asking price is $1250 per squirrel - so at least that will put most people off!

Sadly, I don't think so. PP sell pups for $1200 each and seem to have no trouble moving them :rofl: The only deterrent I see is having to obtain a permit and that is probably quite easy to get :bottom:

I agree with Dogmad, this is so wrong on so many levels :rofl:

Thanks everyone for researching this a bit further.

Thanks to poocow for clarifying that the situation is above board.

The pet shop girl did mention that the squirrels were sold desexed & chipped but didn't mention anything about a permit being required.

Horus - you're probably quite right with regard to the price - I forgot that puppy farm puppies are sold for that much.

It's very disappointing to know that these squirrels can be sold as pets. I was hoping they were doing it illegally and would get into strife!!

One thing is for sure - I won't be buying any!!!!

Edited by westielover

The pet shop girl did mention that the squirrels were sold desexed & chipped

Microchipped?

If they escaped, how in the hell could anyone catch one of the little sh*ts in order to microchip the bugger?!

I like squirrels, wish I could have some, but have no desire to own a palm squirrel

this is so wrong, I remember not so long ago i saw one when i was at the zoo and thought how the hell did that get there, i didnt even know we had squirrels here :rofl: i can see the appeal too, i think they are freakin gorgeous but i would never own one.

I have always wondered how there came to be squirrels hooning around Perth zoo - now I know! I wondered if they couldn't escape due to the outer fence or something and that is why they were running aorund in there.

HOw are Palm squirrels different to say the ones at the Perth zoo, or are they the same thing???

I am suprised you couldn't bring a ferret over to Australia because there is no shortage of them over here.

HOw are Palm squirrels different to say the ones at the Perth zoo, or are they the same thing???

They are the same thing: WA Pest Animals

ETA: Although that says they are not present in Eastern States - Maybe they mean in "the wild" :D

I wonder if someone has got ones that have escaped from various zoos and bred with them, 'cause with no importation, wouldn't that mean there would be an awfully small gene pool :) They seem to survive alright in South Perth though ;)

Edited by ~JoLu~

I actually saw the same squirrels in at pet shop at broadway shopping center ;)

Apparently it is legal, but you must have a licence to keep them, and they were also around the $1000 mark.

who knows why you would actually want to keep a squirrel as a pet? :D

This is also a terrible pet shop that sells puppies- like border collies and kelpies, imo generally not suitable dogs for an inner city area.

The poor kittens in there were stuffed int a cage, they were quite big too, looked about 4 months or so.

Pet shops make me mad :)

Holy shit you scared me!!

I work for AQIS - thought I was going to have to make some calls to the big managers!!

hmm I will still look into it for my own curiosity. Its so so wrong!

The matter has already been looked into, its all legal etc.

JoLu - please read the thread. I have already stated that yes people are breeding them in NSW. And no there is no importation allowed.

Yes sas you are correct - ferrets are not allowed to be imported either.

JoLu - please read the thread. I have already stated that yes people are breeding them in NSW. And no there is no importation allowed.

I did read the thread. My question was with no importation, where are the people who breed them getting them from and wouldn't there be a very small gene pool :rolleyes: Maybe I didn't word it right :rofl:

I did read the thread. My question was with no importation, where are the people who breed them getting them from and wouldn't there be a very small gene pool :rolleyes: Maybe I didn't word it right :rofl:

I honestly don't think the people who are breeding them care about the genetic consequences of breeding from a small gene pool. Its all about money.