Dingoes Attacks On Properties In Nsw Central West

Luvmy4

http://www.dailyliberal.com.au/news/local/...es/1850036.aspx

This sites been down all today

But sightings and dingoes shot in the area have been happening as earlier as 18 months ago it's was kept quite til yesterday. The areas mention are Mendooran,mogriguy and Dubbo.

I live very close 22nd of feb what I thought was a lone kelpie came on our property took on 2 pig dogs they were chained the 13yr old part blind and deaf one died 1 week later, it killed 2 chooks, a ferret, killed and mutilated 2 of my neighbours sheep

after seen this

http://www.marapana.com/Fact%20Sheets.pdf

the black one could be mistaken for a kelpie from a distance

Edited by Luvmy4

The wild dog problem is now most often domestic dogs gone wild & interbred with the native dog.

All of the attacks in our area have been packs of wild domestic dogs (first hand sightings, trapped dogs, shot & poisoned dogs)

the xbred wild dogs are bigger and will take on a calf or young cow now, not just lambs or birthing ewe's that were the norm years ago.

Most of the real dingo's around here tend to be in the most isolated areas of the national parks.

fifi

The poor dingoes have been shot to the point they are a threatened species, and people are still persecuting them.

If someone is breeding purebred dingoes and releasing them good on him, he is doing his bit for conservation, because let me tell you, if the government does not smarten up the only place you will see pure bred dingoes is pictures in books.

That lady, pathetic. Only thinking about herself. Look at this

"Dingoes are not native to this country"

Neither are you, and neither are the animals you brought here. The dingoes were here first, so if you have a problem, you will have to find a way to deal with it that does not involved harming dingoes directly or indirectly. Dingoes should be protected Australia wide.

Edited by Lo Pan

Poor dingoes. Bob Irwin is helping the Fraser Is dingoes. :D I saw a lovely dingo dead on the Bruce highway a couple of weeks ago :)

I could go on and on on this subject as I've thoroughly investigated it from a scientific view re journals etc. government documents and it's interesting reading to say the least.

Breeding and releasing dingoes is not a good idea however, that is if someone really is doing it.

Dingoes have specific territories and an adult dingo will 'teach' the pups where this territory is and they will stay within it and not take kindly to intruders. The problems often come about when these adults are killed and younger dogs lack the knowledge of territory and may venture into other areas. I'm sure they don't differentiate between livestock, pets or prey. We seem to expect them to though.

yes, poor dingoes ... however, when dingoes train their pups on someone's lambs .. killing 20/30 a night ..and wounding more in the process, it does make them unpopular. :D

I am not talking farmlet here- I am talking pastoral land, where one paddock can be 20,000 acres .. where one has to rely on 'the dog fence' for protection of stock...where sheep are yarded and there are lambs with gaping holes in their skulls, and other severe wounds.

Some years ago we shot two dingoes, and others shot several , after some made their way to our normally dingo-free area. Beautiful animals , but they sign their death warrant when they take stock to excess. This pack also attacked farm dogs- fathered litters of pups on isolated properties (who , as they had no neighbours ), did not put bitches in dog- proof pens , and killed poultry.

If someone is breeding purebred dingoes and releasing them good on him, he is doing his bit for conservation,

Well, not really. :D Unless he is releasing them into pristine areas-protected, with an abundance of natural prey , he is sending them to a death sentence :)

Most of the Australian landscape has been changed forever- trees and native wildlife have gone- extra watering points have ensured survival of feral pests- sheep/cattle /goats graze everywhere.. small mammals have been wiped from areas due to loss of habitat..kangaroos/emus are restricted in movement due to increasingly formidable fencing. We have stuffed up the country, and the dingo now must tread over human territory if it is to hunt/breed/populate. This is not a good scenario.

Feral dogs have settled where there 'should' be dingoes - and these breed with the dingo packs- hybrids may then not just have the one breeding season like dingoes- but two or three... quickly outnumbering any purebred dingoes around ;)

It is a very sad state - and I cannot see a solution.

If someone is breeding purebred dingoes and releasing them good on him, he is doing his bit for conservation,

Well, not really. :D Unless he is releasing them into pristine areas-protected, with an abundance of natural prey , he is sending them to a death sentence :)

Most of the Australian landscape has been changed forever- trees and native wildlife have gone- extra watering points have ensured survival of feral pests- sheep/cattle /goats graze everywhere.. small mammals have been wiped from areas due to loss of habitat..kangaroos/emus are restricted in movement due to increasingly formidable fencing. We have stuffed up the country, and the dingo now must tread over human territory if it is to hunt/breed/populate. This is not a good scenario.

Feral dogs have settled where there 'should' be dingoes - and these breed with the dingo packs- hybrids may then not just have the one breeding season like dingoes- but two or three... quickly outnumbering any purebred dingoes around ;)

It is a very sad state - and I cannot see a solution.

Where would be be an abundance of natural prey? Only where there were wild camels, buffalo and pigs, I imagine. Anything else in Australia is no longer in abundance.

The only solution is to cull the human race. That is the problem.

Where would be be an abundance of natural prey?

exactly!

:D That is the sad bit- I was trying to say that there is now really,nowhere for the dingo to live as it should, and breeding/releasing them is not a responsible thing to do, for the dingoes.

Dingoes are largely blamed for the actions of stray domestic dogs and dog/dingo hybrids.

Dingoes actually help to preserve native fauna by excluding foxes and feral cats from ecosystems. They fulfill the niche of the now extinct Thylacine. Dingoes are essentially a native animal having evolved and lived in Australia for the last 3,000-5,000 years.

Research has been shown that hybrids are the problem as they are more aggressive, kill stock excessively (because their instincts are weaker) etc.

Some land owners in NSW have found that purebred dingos (in a stable pack i.e. no culling ongoing on the land) actually take few stock and then only dying/very old animals - this is a direct contrast to stories of dingoes killing multiple sheep/lambs a night. Most incidences of excessive stock taking nowadays are (IMO) from hybrids or feral domestic dogs and not dingoes. If less culling was ongoing and more stable packs were allowed to form alot of 'dingo' problems might go away.

The activities described by Persephone sound more like the actions of feral dogs or hybrids that real dingoes - a pity no distinction is made.

Most hybrids are fathered by dogs not mothered by dogs because domestic bitches lack the instinct to rear a litter in the wild. Dingoes also breed only once a year instead of 2 times a year like domestic dogs.

It's a pity that a native dog, one of the few left in the wild, is being run into extinction by humans - but then it seems to be the way we act... if it's hurting our lifestyle then we kill it regardless of the fact that it's been in Australia for many hundreds of years more than Europeans/European farming.

The activities described by Persephone sound more like the actions of feral dogs or hybrids that real dingoes - a pity no distinction is made.

There is a distinction, indeed- but all this pack looked very much desert (not alpine) dingo. There was no DNA testing back then ..but general informed opinion was that they were dingoes. It was a rare occurrence , luckily. ..and was due to a break in 'the' dog fence, apparently.

I am very pleased to hear that there are still some pure packs which can co-exist with humans! :) :D Thanks for that, malteseluna !Made me smile a bit .

I find it interesting about the hybrid litters not being whelped by 'domestic' bitches. Bitches who are feral , would, I imagine have good survival skills ..I would think that would make rearing pups possible? I am certainly not talking house dogs here- but tough and smart ferals or station/camp bitches... who often will kill and roam anyway...

Do you have links ? I am interested, as in a previous life in melbourne I was a member of The Dingo Foundation for some time .. and we concentrated on the Alpines, of course there . ;) beautiful and interesting critters indeed:)

:D That is the sad bit- I was trying to say that there is now really,nowhere for the dingo to live as it should, and breeding/releasing them is not a responsible thing to do, for the dingoes.
Most properties, forests and national parks this way have fox baits out. If a person is releasing them he must not care to much about them

If that what the person is doing, he/she is extremely misguided.

Oh, it is all just so sad and depressing.

Up here in The NT there are a lot of dingoes unfortunately the many camp dogs that litter our streets are breeding with the pure dingoes.

In kakadu, Arnhem land etc.. there are some pure packs about, but i see them coming closer to easier food all the time, such as the local dump or town camps, which leads them to breeding with feral dogs. There are lots of Sharpei x dingoes all over the place.

A few have been known to attack the local domestic dogs that haven't been fenced in at home properly, this time of year they start to move out onto the flood plains so they stop rummaging through bins and stealing our shoes as chew toys.

I hope some pure strains manage to survive.

we had pure ones around us in NT. they never even looked at our dogs, always very intent on hunting walllabies. :)

the ones on Fraser are pure, lovely.

Malteseluna, yes the culling really stuuffs up the whole pack eco system of the elder dogs teaching the young dogs. Awful. IT is also said that fraser dingoes are not starving (they are) and the govt has it's own articles stating that one of the reasons they cull the dingoes there is because there is not enough natural prey :) so why the hell don't they just say, yes these animals have no food!!!

When the aboriginals and then the foresters etc. did fire management over there, it rejuvinated the habitats of undergrowth etc. where the smaller prey once lived in large numbers ie bandicoots and wallabies. Now they :D are practically extinct on fraser as are most other mammals. God only knows what is left for the dingoes. :rofl: not much at all. Years ago there were never any attacks on humans there and there were many aboriginals and workers on the island. Now if a dingoe looks at someone the wrong way, it is shot, and so are any others nearby. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Its very sad to see whats happening to the dingo, I hate reading about them, for us their reappearance is all positive.

Here on our place we have been fortunate in the last few years to see what looks like pure or as near to pure dingo,s return after 30 years. We border state forest and think the drought made them come out of the bush for water. For us they are doing a good job, the Roo and Wallaby population is under control to the point where the guys don't see many large roos ( which is all that was hunted ) when they go culling. As long as they do us no harm they are welcome on our place. They are the only natural enemy of the Kangaroo, which was getting totally out of control on our farm.

Four years ago we had an eradication program of wild dogs, a totally different looking animal to the Dingoes we now have living here. I think you will find its the wild dogs that are really out of control.

I doubt very much someone breeds and releases pure dingo.

I also think its highly unlikely. It would be very irresponsible to breed and release in the wild, but if by chance they did then you,d think they would release in a remote place out of harms way.IF such place exists today.