Name Some Dog Myths

Did you know that you can only train dogs in the language from the country they come from!!!

My previous kerry would sit to 'suigh síos, tú bastart', which is Irish for 'sit down, you bastard'.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that you can only train dogs in the language from the country they come from!!!

My previous kerry would sit to 'suigh síos, tú bastart', which is Irish for 'sit down, you bastard'.

:):):)

A great one I heard yesterday at the dog park when I told an idiot that his dog was being dominant after it had chased T bone around the park trying to hump him for 15 minuntes - thank God it was too fat to catch up with him too often.

"He's too stupid to be dominant"

Ahh noooo that would be that you're too stupid to recognise it. Why do people think that big boofy dogs are "too stupid" to behave badly?

feeding a dog raw meat will give it the taste of blood and make it want to hunt & kill :)

A girl I worked with once told me that her butcher had told her this - I replied "Oh, really - where did he get his BVSC?" :)

That if it walks on someone's left side, it's trustworthy, if it's walked on their right side, it's trained to attack.

That taking young puppies off their mother bonds them to humans better

And my favourite from my breed niche.

I was at the park and a guy said to me "Eh, a Great Dane?", I answered, and he goes "Damn Danish. They have to be bigger and better than anyone else" and trailed off into mumbled swearing about how this is why he left England.

somehow I sensed he wouldn't take well to the fact that the breed's not actually Danish...

One that always cracks me up is that SBT, AST & APBT's (actually any breed with a large skull) heads will get bigger once the skull splits and fuses back together larger - there are actually websites about this!!!

My dog is definitely part Ridgeback, because when he/she gets angry the hair stands up along his/her spine :laugh::laugh: ;)

:rolleyes: I hear this one too....

Why do people think that big boofy dogs are "too stupid" to behave badly?

Wish I could use that excuse.... Everyone would believe about the stupid part.... :eek:

That blue eyes ALWAYS mean the dog is blind in the blue side ( or totally if they're both blue). Or that blue eyes means the dog is smarter.

ETA Also that Dalmatians CAN'T EVER eat meat because it will make them sick and might kill them.

Edited by DaisyDog

Wasn't there one about sharing spit makes the dog loyal to you :eek:

Is that like biting him on the ear will make him respect you and be obedient forever :rolleyes:

When I was pre-school age (I'm now 47) we had this small dog (no idea of the breed) called Chimmy and he would bite me and steal my vegemite toast every morning at breakfast. Apparently I took to biting him back on the ear in return. He did stop stealing my toast out of my hand but anything that hit the floor was still his. Back then in our family if the family dog bit you it was normally considered your fault and you had to sort it out between you!

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

I know someone who used to beat his dog after it escaped the yard through a broken gate, so it would cower when it returned from a visit to the neighbours French Poodle. I told him to fix his gate. His argument was that he didn't need to fix the gate because his dog "knew" it was wrong to leave the yard.

BIG FAT MYTH: "When I yell at my dog several hours after he does something naughty, he looks guilty, so he obviously knows what I'm talking about"

I know someone who used to beat his dog after it escaped the yard through a broken gate, so it would cower when it returned from a visit to the neighbours French Poodle. I told him to fix his gate. His argument was that he didn't need to fix the gate because his dog "knew" it was wrong to leave the yard.

Yep, that's a great example of this type of dumb-ass applying fool's logic. If only someone could beat some sense into HIM.