What If I Can't Find Homes For Them?

Pipsal

Were down here in NSW and cant help you but wish you the very best of luck and good for you helping the little ones and their Mum. Hopefully the Qld contingent of DOL can get something happening here - Pacers may have some suggestions too.

Please keep us posted on how it all pans out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I suggested previously if you can tell us exactly where the pups are we may be able to get a congo line of transport for the pups to Brisbane.

Thank you for your replies, I certainly feel a little more positive now than I did this afternoon.

The pups are in Central Qld...I can probably (if I can manage 5 little rascals by myself in the car for a few hours!) get them to Rockhampton as I will be flying out of there to Brisbane. I looked at trying to fly the pups down but Virgin's website says they have to be 8wks old.

The pups are Kelpie-ish cross I think....Mum looks very much like a Kelpie, but I doubt she's a purebred, obviously not sure about Dad - but probably around the same size.

My brother came from Brisbane to visit this weekend and he has taken some current pics of the pups - he's going to put them on facebook too, and see if anyone he knows might be interested...still means they have to get to Brisbane though. I'll post some when he sends them to me tomorrow hopefully. (I did put some on a couple of earlier discussion topics I started, but not sure how to link them).

sorry if I have misunderstood, but are you looking at seperating and rehoming them before 8 weeks and before being de-sexed?

I am needing to find somewhere for the puppies to go at 7 weeks old, or if I can get them to Brisbane I might be able to look after them for another week or so...I can't take Mum dog because 'technically' she belongs to someone - if you find my earlier discussions this is discussed in detail, a whole 'nother story....I know this is not ideal and that a lot of breeders keep them up to 12 weeks, but a vet told me they can be removed from mum at 6-8wks old as long as they are weaned, and its honestly a lot better than they would get here being left to fend for themselves. I thought a rescue place may take them and by the time they were vet checked etc it would be close to 8wks before leaving littermates. I would have prefered for them to be de-sexed before re-homing so that they don't end up like their mother.

sorry if I have misunderstood, but are you looking at seperating and rehoming them before 8 weeks and before being de-sexed?

I am needing to find somewhere for the puppies to go at 7 weeks old, or if I can get them to Brisbane I might be able to look after them for another week or so...I can't take Mum dog because 'technically' she belongs to someone - if you find my earlier discussions this is discussed in detail, a whole 'nother story....I know this is not ideal and that a lot of breeders keep them up to 12 weeks, but a vet told me they can be removed from mum at 6-8wks old as long as they are weaned, and its honestly a lot better than they would get here being left to fend for themselves. I thought a rescue place may take them and by the time they were vet checked etc it would be close to 8wks before leaving littermates. I would have prefered for them to be de-sexed before re-homing so that they don't end up like their mother.

ah I remember now, got a little fuzzy on the details :laugh: yup your best option is to get to a rescue or shelter where they can remain together, or be fostered out with at least one sibling until they are able to be de-sexed. You should be able to get that happening either via RSPCA fairfield or Best friends rescue so transport is the big question mark.

Could you get hold of a crate or two to make transporting them easier/safer? With pups that age something you can easily clean and steralise is the go for transport and you have to be wary of exposing them to nasties.

Pipsal I'm in Rocky, can you please send me some pics and I'll chuck them up on my Facebook to see if I can find either foster carers or forever homes for them?

When are you coming through Rocky?

I think either way you look at it they need to be desexed its the right thing to do if you cant afford it ect then they NEED to be taken to the RSPCA (as much as I detest the RSPCA) or if you can find a rescue group who can help in desexing and rehoming that would be the happiest alround idea.

Anychance you can sneak mum dog away for desexing before you leave? :laugh: ( I have no idea of the back story with her but will go have a read now)

No sure if you can put them in the rescue section cause they arnt desexed yet but the moderators might be abit giving in this case? If so I'd get the topic moved some of the rescue folk dont leave the rescue section and they might be able to help more than others!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

Pipsal,

I'm sure if you can get them to Rocky, you could find someone to take them there. Shelter, rescue group, whatever. Rocky is big enough to have a bit of this sort of stuff.

Good on you. You've done a terrific job, it'd be a waste for them not to find a great home.

Some good options have come up so far.

Fran's offer to try to find foster-care in Rocky.

Get them to Brisbane....true what another DOLer said, that puppies have a chance of doing fine at RSPCA shelter at Fairfield. Have you got a phone no?

Also Best Friends Rescue in Brisbane is another thought. Got a phone no?

Once in the care of a rescue, the issue of vet work & desexing can be addressed.

I cant help but I wanted to say good on you for doing something for these pups and their mum. I hope it all works out well. I haven't got much but I'd be happy to donate some $ towards their desexing if it ever comes to that.

Thanks for the offers of help, etc. I may have found a home for 1 boy....and I have a few people interested in them thanks to my brother posting pics and msg on his facebook account (its good for something!). Still means I need to get the pups to Brisbane though as that is where these people are, and they want to see them....more shelters in Bris too if things don't work out I guess.

Here are some of the updated pics, especially for those in CQ, took my brother a while to send them through....Pups are 5 weeks old in pics.

post-23190-1276874053_thumb.jpg

post-23190-1276874804_thumb.jpg

More pics, inclu. Brown Boy

They do have their own water bowl btw....they just decided to copy mum who drinks out of the bucket in the yard (can't put this in the puppy pen cos I'm afraid they'll fall in when I'm not around!). Shows how tall they are getting though!

post-23190-1276875636_thumb.jpg

post-23190-1276876129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pipsal