I Fell In Love With A Greyhound Yesterday

SeeGee

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only race if trained too, in fact she stated that after a 30 min walk, they are tired and will go back to sleeping their 21hrs per day!! They all had lovely natures and I've thought about rescuing one later on down the track.

do not underestimate what they are, very fast sight hounds driven by prey drive, who also happen to be very laid back, calm and loving. I have show bred greyhounds with no race blood in them, 2 out of the 3, are very keen and would certainly hunt if given the chance, yet they all live with my 3 cats.

Mine are race bred, one raced fairly successfully, the other doesn't appear to have raced. Both are laid back, calm and loving, both are great with other dogs of all ages, shapes and sizes. But I would not trust either of them with a cat. Generally they are wonderful to walk, could walk them with a piece of cotton for a lead :laugh: however a few months ago we were out walking just as it was getting dark, and a cat darted out from under a bush and ran straight under their noses. They both reacted by lunging after the cat, I yelled as soon as I saw it, surprisingly Clyde (the older boy who was a good racer) checked, but Ryan, the younger one who has an extremely sweet and soft nature, was the one who hit the end of the lead at full pace.

I have never ever met a Greyhound up close before, theres none in my area at all - plenty of whippets, no greyhounds. She was the most incredibly soft natured dog. I fell in love :laugh: . Told hubby that when we get more space, it will be time to get involved with Greyhound Rescue.

She was just SO beautiful. I understand not all Greyhounds are like that, but my goodness, she is an asset to her breed :laugh: .

We've lived next door, for ages, to a man who owns some racing greyhounds & also owns a retired one & some time back, a rescue one.

He loves his greys....& it shows.

Greys are the loveliest dogs...with every quality that made you fall in love with the one you met. Calm, soft, loving, no trouble at all. With the most beautiful eyes!

Our little tibbie girl became the small dog tester for GAP....but I had to ask would she be a 'good' tester, because she adored the greys next door.

She specially loved Boofy a sweet, big fellow rescued by our neighbour when he couldn't race well. He sadly died under anaesthetic when being desexed. Our little dog's grief was awful. She'd wait for him at the fence every morning....& couldn't understand why he wouldn't come.

By the way, all the greyhounds I saw being tested by GAP were brilliant dogs....all with the lovely qualities of the breed. I could have taken them home myself. Our little 'tester' tibbie would be heartbroken after each test.....when her new 'friend' would get into another car.

Edited by mita

Some greyhounds will guard, but for me it is not a desirable trait in a greyhound. They are not really supposed to show signs of aggression or anxiety towards strange people. A normal greyhound can be approached and patted by anyone.

Not to say that greyhounds that guard are not good, but it is not correct temperament for the breed.

the question was watch dog, not guard. Mine have excellent temperaments and are excellent watch dogs. Anybody can pat them but they bark if someone comes to the house.

Some greyhounds will guard, but for me it is not a desirable trait in a greyhound. They are not really supposed to show signs of aggression or anxiety towards strange people. A normal greyhound can be approached and patted by anyone.

Not to say that greyhounds that guard are not good, but it is not correct temperament for the breed.

the question was watch dog, not guard. Mine have excellent temperaments and are excellent watch dogs. Anybody can pat them but they bark if someone comes to the house.

The question was "What are they like as watch dogs?" Generally they are not good watch dogs compared to most other breeds.

One of the main reason why greyhounds are attractive to people in urban areas is that most of them don't tend to bark when people approach the property. Their defence drive isn't strong. Defensive barking can sometimes be a sign of a nervous or unstable temperament.

A good watch dog is alert, and most greyhounds don't spend a lot of time on alert.

But it is very common for greyhounds to join in barking with other dogs on the property just out of excitement, and they learn the behaviour.

Thank you for the information. Greytmate. ;)

In this case, a guard dog would be a bonus!

Just wondering. I sure like to give a dog a home if it needs one if/when we also need a dog.. But our first priority is a watch/guard dog. Can't have another like the Wei that just watches them cart away the goods.

I was wondering if there was any hope a grey would suit. And it seems it is not impossible.

The greys really draw you in. I know I will have one as part of the family one day.

I was so taken with their gentleness. And who doesn't enjoy the company of a lounge lizard? They are also very, very beautiful.

One of the main reason why greyhounds are attractive to people in urban areas is that most of them don't tend to bark when people approach the property. Their defence drive isn't strong. Defensive barking can sometimes be a sign of a nervous or unstable temperament.

Our neighbour says his greyhounds' philosophy of life can be summed up in one word...'Whatever!'

Edited by mita

"Whatever" yes that is my boy. My girl on the other hand is more of a "Talk to the paw" kinda girl.

This is the reaction I get after telling her to move into the back of the van, with the boys.

To be fair her cousin Gemma wasn't about to wait in the back with the boys either, so that might count for some of the attitude.

post-29702-1277270488_thumb.jpg

post-29702-1277270859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brindle

Re Greys as guard dogs. Our neighbour, Laurie, who owns greys himself, had to call at the home of an elderly lady. When she opened the door, there beside her, was a magnificent big greyhound. Apparently a relative is connected with greyhound racing... & arranged for a failed racer with a lovely nature to become her pet. No worries about her tripping over a small dog & she could pat him from her chair or her bed. She could also use the big calm boy as something to lean on. Best of all, his size immediately intimidated people who might not have good intentions....but who knew nothing about greys.

Laurie said he himself who owns greys, took a step backward when the door opened. Because the last thing he expected was a large dog to appear beside the elderly lady.

Altogether, it was a match made in heaven, for both of them. The lady's family attended to bathing or vet trips and taking the boy for exercise

My friends grey barks when people come to the door. I doubt he would actually do anything though, though apparently if he doesn't like you he will keep barking (luckily he likes me as I am the bringer of treats and walkie time!).

Do you need to have a big garden to have a grey?

Also, if you're fairly active and like long walks (on lead obviously) are they suitable?

Also, if you're fairly active and like long walks (on lead obviously) are they suitable?

It all depends on the individual dog. Some are happy to lie around all day with a quick 15 minute walk. Some are happy to walk for an hour twice a day.

I have kept my two fit (aged 7 and 9) and they have a free gallop most mornings (if they want it, or they may choose to just sniff and pee), plus a 30-45 minute walk in the afternoon - and they never say no if hubby wants to take them out again around 9pm.

Like any dog, the size of the yard doesn't matter, so long as they get their walks.

It all depends on the individual dog. Some are happy to lie around all day with a quick 15 minute walk. Some are happy to walk for an hour twice a day.

I have kept my two fit (aged 7 and 9) and they have a free gallop most mornings (if they want it, or they may choose to just sniff and pee), plus a 30-45 minute walk in the afternoon - and they never say no if hubby wants to take them out again around 9pm.

Like any dog, the size of the yard doesn't matter, so long as they get their walks.

Thanks, I like to do long walks which sometimes take the whole day and I would usually walk my dog for at least 2 hrs a day. So, good to know they can manage this as I have heard from some that they are lazy! I'm thinking they might be a good dog for my parents who are retired/ do part time work. My parents like to do long walks as well but my dad prefers the dog be on leash (where as mum justs lets the dog do whatever :cheer:). We are looking after a guide dog puppy at the moment and they have decided that they would like to get an older dog when she leaves us.

The question re garden size was just because I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable letting them off lead at an unfenced park and especially if there were SWFs there. Most of the parks in my area are not fenced and we don't have a big yard.