Does Your Dog Prefer To Play With Other Dogs Of The Same Breed/type?

aussielover

I have noticed that my puppy particularly likes to play with other labs and golden retrievers. At puppy class she gets on well with a lab x golden and she likes the GR puppy. I also observed at dog parks that labs in particular like to play with other retrievers but perhaps its just that the size is suitable and they are naturally playful breeds of dogs?

My pup is scared of the rotty pup (it is quite dominating, but exceptionally cute) and she plays really rough and aggressively with a staffy cross pup which I don't like (the play, not the pup!). I feel bad trying to break up their "play" but I don't like her getting that worked up (hackles up and intense growling). This pup also aggravates her when we are meant to be having quiet time.

She has recently met 2 lovely labs and a golden retriever which might account for her fascination with older labs and goldens, but she definitely plays best with the lab x and the golden puppies!

My Aussie girl was actually obsessed with Schnauzers for some reason! She would LOVE every schnauzer she saw and would get all excited and start whinig and stuff. It was pretty cute as she used to ignore any other type of dog!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My lab loves other labs too and goldies but he also plays well with viszla's, bulldogs and many dogs his own size, he played with a 20 week old amstaff pup a few weeks back and they had the best time together, the pup would not leave him alone!

Charlie generally likes other dogs. He doesn't discriminate :laugh: He especially like puppies. When he was a pup and before he got sick... he use to love to hang out with the GSD and pitbull at the park. His best mate is a Beagle.

We don't know another japanese spitz owners that live around us and we don't bump into many of them.. so I can't say. Emmy plays with other breeds of dogs too.

Edited by CW EW

My guys don't get to meet many other Vallhunds or Lapphunds. Except for agility where there's another Vallhund. Erik embarrassed the heck out of me last week by taking his release word to mean "go run across the circle to jump all over a Vallhund". :laugh: Wicked child! He always goes for the reward he's anticipating when I release him. Guess he was anticipating a rumble with a fellow Vall. He is normally much more polite and sensible about other dogs!

They both go nutty for other spitz breeds, though. There's a Mal that sometimes comes to the park and they both fawn all over him. They like Huskies, too.

My puppy loves dogs of any breed. However, she's only met one SWF that hasn't growled at her, because she's a big bouncy puppy who doesn't know how big she is and she scares them. She loves my neighbour's bulldog (he's so placid and he's so good at calming her down) and she met a Mal puppy who was a month older than her the other day who she quickly made friends with.

My guys don't get to meet many other Vallhunds or Lapphunds. Except for agility where there's another Vallhund. Erik embarrassed the heck out of me last week by taking his release word to mean "go run across the circle to jump all over a Vallhund". :laugh: Wicked child! He always goes for the reward he's anticipating when I release him. Guess he was anticipating a rumble with a fellow Vall. He is normally much more polite and sensible about other dogs!

They both go nutty for other spitz breeds, though. There's a Mal that sometimes comes to the park and they both fawn all over him. They like Huskies, too.

My elkhound also goes nuts over other spitz breeds. Every time a husky gets to the park, he is desperate to play with the dog. Though he does play very well with a staffy x. My goldy only plays with my elkhound, or smaller dogs. She is quite timid and doesn't much care for other dogs. Her favourite play time is when there are no other strange dogs in the dog park, and she can do zoomies, chase Odin!!!

Kaos prefers to hang with other Kelpies, they speak the same language :laugh: He does not like rough play or dogs coming into his space and getting pushy with him and so is not keen on the play styles of many of the gundogs (particularly Labs) or Staffies.

Diesel isn't as fussed, and can handle rough play, but he does like other GSDs.

My Staffords will play with any Pointer or Whippet that comes along. They are not so into other Staffords, outside of their own pack.

My Pointers played with anyone and anything.

The Whippets love anything that's black and looks like an SBT, not so fussed on their own kind and love big white dogs ( with short coats ). The Whippets do "disinterested" very well.

J. doesn't get a whole lot of exposure to dogs. Any dog throws him into a spin - he loves them all. He adores the Labrador a few doors down, but then that could just be because she's the only dog he's allowed to full on play with.

There's a couple of Ridgebacks at his puppy school and puppy obedience and he seems to show a slight preference for them. Hard to tell when he's trying to throw himself at every dog.

im pretty sure raz will play with anything that runs and enjoys a fair game...not too pushy

he does love to play with labradors (when they play back) and his bff is a kelpie, but not all kelpies are friendly towards him, he also loves german shepherds which is scary to watch him being pushed around by, they would be double his weight...

It was suggested to me recently that when they are puppies they imprint on their mum, so later in life when they see a dog that looks like their mum they gravitate towards them. This was fascinatingly supported by my mother's Boxer/Kelpie cross, who had a Kelpie mother and will act like a damn fool around Kelpies, but any other breed gets told to stay away.

Billie clearly prefers runners to mouthers - doesn't matter what breed as long at it plays her style. She hasn't seen many BCs so can't gauge her attraction to them.

She doesn't seem to like labs in general at the moment and will avoid them when possible. Most dogs are decided on a case by case basis but lately she will move away from almost any lab she sees...something I need to look into further. Most of her park friends are smaller (the bigger visitors at our usual times like to play rough) so we're hoping to spend more fun time with med-large dogs in the future.