Ryan had eaten about 6 - 10 pieces .

Rushed off to Baulkham Hill Emergency Vet

who in the mean time knew we where coming

so the Vet raced around to local supermarket

and also googled and phoned USA company

to find the Ingredients of the gum .

to no avail,

Vet told me to keep an eye on him

and at 3.40 this morning she called to tell me that the UK office had phoned her

and that one ingredient ZOLOZON ( sp ) * ? XYLITOL ( might be the word ) :cheer:

is toxic to dogs !!

well Ryan is now spending the day at his Vet and has had bloods done , some to be sent off

and with more Blood sugar tests later today .

Praying that he will be OK poor little man :laugh:

and slapping myself for being slack and leaving ' food ' with in reach of him.

Edited by griff

Oh no griff! Don't beat yourself up too much - it is so easy to leave things within reach, I am sure we have all done it.

Two of mine got into a packet of blackcurrant soothers recently!

Hope Ryan is okay, I would never have thought of worry about them trying to eat chewing gum!

WHat a great vet you have to ring you at 3 in the morning!!!

Don't beat yourself up, these things occasionally do happen and I wouldn't have though a dog would even eat gum, so it could have been mine - except for now I will definatly move it!

Why didn't the vet make him vomit it up just to be safe instead of waiting to hear the ingredients. I've heard of this from a US whippet forum and yes dogs die from it. I hope he's going to be OK.

I keep Lectric in my cupboard, you buy it in the laundry aisle of the supermarket. I got it on a vets advice and if your dog eats something it shouldn't you put a couple of crystals down his throat, take him outside and wait. Within about 5 minutes he's be chucking up the contents of his stomach.

I had a dog many years ago that ate many packets of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. She was fine I never even thought about what the outcome would be. She was also the one who ate 7 blocks of chocolate. Had a huge tummy ache with that one. But she lived to almost 16 years old.

I had a dog many years ago that ate many packets of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. She was fine I never even thought about what the outcome would be. She was also the one who ate 7 blocks of chocolate. Had a huge tummy ache with that one. But she lived to almost 16 years old.

I think the problem is not so much the chewing gum, but the artificial sweeteners. I dont think juicy fruit used artificial sweeteners.

Kirislin, That is what I was expecting a charcoal tab or something !

to make him spew it up .

At least today he is back to his normal talky zoomie self :mad

I do not know if all Gums are Toxic to Dogs :D

but according to My own Vet and the Emergency Vet

that EXTRA Bubble Gum IS Most Definitely Poison

The main concern from both Vets was Ryans Blood Suagrs and Liver results.

depends on the concentration of Xylitol ... considering it is the active ingredient in Aquadent, a product you put in the dogs drinking water to help prevent tartar buildup, Virbac has the studies on Xylitol too.

If he's only had a couple of pieces and his bloods are OK after 24 hours I wouldnt be panicking. Hope hes OK!!!